• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Can we at least drop all this “America is the greatest country on earth” horseshit?

It’s not. It’s got the potential to be, but it’s not. It’s pretty fucked up right now. Sitting around patting ourselves on the back all the time for being great isn’t helping, its hurting. Stop doing it, simple-minded assholes, and have some courage.

New national anthem:

Can we at least drop all this “America is the greatest country on earth” horseshit?

It’s not. It’s got the potential to be, but it’s not. It’s pretty fucked up right now. Sitting around patting ourselves on the back all the time for being great isn’t helping, its hurting. Stop doing it, simple-minded assholes, and have some courage.

Yep. It's not un-American to call it out, either. "Love it or leave it" is the most absolute asinine thing I have ever heard.

With two mass shootings in 24 hours and a NRA in disarray, now is the time.

Yep. It's not un-American to call it out, either. "Love it or leave it" is the most absolute asinine thing I have ever heard.

It's interesting that Trump has more or less said that his issue with criticizing the nation is that he sees it as criticizing him, and he won't stand for it. To quote Theodore Roosevelt: “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” Too bad most GOPers don't seem to believe that anymore. Any criticism of their Beloved Leader must be called out and punished!

Gun nuts are so selfish. It’s no wonder they idolize Trump, a man who maybe never has even fired a gun.

It's interesting that Trump has more or less said that his issue with criticizing the nation is that he sees it as criticizing him, and he won't stand for it. To quote Theodore Roosevelt: “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” Too bad most GOPers don't seem to believe that anymore. Any criticism of their Beloved Leader must be called out and punished!

Trump doesn't have issue specifically with criticizing the country. He has issue with minorities being critical.

Great. Time for conservatives like you to put your vote where your mouth is and vote against state and federal candidates who a) take money from the NRA and b) don’t include gun reform in their platform. Good on you, Creamy. I just hope you do it when the rubber meets the road.

In. I’m having the tough conversations with pub family and friends. It’s way past time that we ban assault rifles. I also believe healthcare is a right. Also, every one of my social views lines up with Dems from gay and women’s rights to legalization of pot. I’m going straight ticket Dem until the Republican Party gets their shit together and distances themselves from Trump, Mitch and company.

Trump doesn't have issue specifically with criticizing the country. He has issue with minorities being critical.

This. Like many Republicans, he sees the US as a white country and minorities should be grateful to be allowed in.

In. I’m having the tough conversations with pub family and friends. It’s way past time that we ban assault rifles. I also believe healthcare is a right. Also, every one of my social views lines up with Dems from gay and women’s rights to legalization of pot. I’m going straight ticket Dem until the Republican Party gets their shit together and distances themselves from Trump, Mitch and company.

Well alright. :golfclap:

That’s great to see!

Wow that's a pretty remarkable sea change Creamy. Good to see.

Wanna watch your pub family and friends' heads explode? Tell them it is the most conservative idea imaginable to grant gays all the rights that straight people have. After all doesn't a conservative document (which is hilarious as it was the most radically liberal document of the time) say, "All men are created equal and are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights".

Ask them how it equal rights if you can be fired for being gay in 30 states? Be denied housing for the same reason?

Wanting equal pay for women should also be considered conservative...

I’d be interested to hear from you after you talk to them. I have republican family members who I’ve tried talking to about this stuff and they’re too far gone (“the gov’t is trying to take my guns!” And “abortion !”) that I’ve given up. Like gun reform should be black and white, but with them, it’s not, because (I think) “giving in” to anything remotely “Dem” compromises their identity. It’s bizarre. And again, this should’nt be a Pub v Dem issue, it’s the right thing to do. Along with the other things you listed.

Wait a second. You guys all believe Creamy?

So this Dayton shooter went to a place where there were cops and killed 9 people and injured 26 others until he was stopped by cops in less than a minute.

This was a week after the Gilroy shooter did something similar.

Can we please dispense with the myths that mass shooters target “gun free zones” and only good guys with guns can stop mass shooters? If all we can do is hope someone is a bad shot or that the cops can stop them before they hit a few more dozen, we barely have a civilized society.

Back