• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Gunman shoots 2 at White Settlement church before churchgoers return fire, killing him, officials say

One dead innocent person and one dead gunman equals victory for the "guns for everyone" crowd, unfortunately.

Just in case your next question was the same as mine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Settlement,_Texas

The name of "White Settlement" was originally bestowed upon the community by several Indigenous tribes in the area. The city got its name because it was the lone village of white pioneers amid several Native American encampments in the Fort Worth area in the Texas Republic territory in the 1840s.[4][5] On October 14, 2005, city leaders, citing hurdles in attracting businesses,[6] announced a plan to have local voters decide on a possible name change for the town from White Settlement to West Settlement. In the November 8 election, the name change was overwhelmingly rejected by a vote of 2,388 to 219.[5]

Simple idea for journalists here. If you mention a Facebook page that is stirring up people in an election year, make an effort to find who started the page and who runs it especially if it has what seems to be a large number of followers.

I love reading all of these GOP sheriffs and county commissioners claiming that this isn't political, yet some of them are up for reelection and are trumpeting their support for these useless resolutions. Even most of the county politicians interviewed admit up front that it isn't very likely that any laws will be passed at the state or federal level anytime soon to take away people's guns, yet they go on to say they support these resolutions "just in case" they're wrong.

Some of the quotes from the Davidson and Randolph County sheriffs are most interesting, given that they are supposedly in the law-enforcement business. The Davidson County sheriff said that if "someone" (the feds, I assume) comes to take the good people of Davidson County's guns away, he would fight "to protect our people if someone comes to take their rights away" by "deputizing a lot of good people" (to do what - fight federal marshals and agents?) He also posted on his facebook page that "he believes that he has been appointed by God to be the sheriff in order to protect citizens’ rights." Apparently, voters no longer elect NC county sheriffs, they just rule by Divine Right. The Randolph County sheriff "said the Second Amendment “dictates” the other constitutional amendments, and any misinterpretation or modification of the amendment will only lead to “bad things.” He also says that “I’m not going to let the government, I don’t care what government you’re talking about — the federal government — I’m not going to let them come in and take our guns and take our rights away from us." And these are the top law-enforcement officers in each county. LOL.

Getting mad or frightened won't do any good, so I'll settle for laughing at their stupidity and hypocrisy. They're certainly not being voted out of office in those counties.

This increasing idea that any much needed gun control should be met with some sort of justified violence against the state is really not a good thing.

It’s dishonest distraction and fear mongering for political power.

In other words, Republican.

This increasing idea that any much needed gun control should be met with some sort of justified violence against the state is really not a good thing.

It’s the new slavery. Guns make mediocre pathetic white men feel strong. Wealthy white men who make money off guns and violence use the issue to manipulate the lesser ones.

People of all races, genders, and backgrounds use guns but you only see white guys get literally and figuratively up in arms about them.

Agreed, but based on the official response to the white supremacist terror groups in the Pacific Northwest squatting on public property in open defiance of the law, threatening people, and even having a Washington state GOP legislator secretly working with them, I don't think anything will be done, unfortunately. It does seem as if the effort of the Virginia state government to pass some reasonable gun control laws is what has set off the current fear and agitation among the right. Right-wingers seem to be very aware of what is happening there, and sound defiant, but secretly they're probably petrified.

Agreed, but based on the official response to the white supremacist terror groups in the Pacific Northwest squatting on public property in open defiance of the law, threatening people, and even having a Washington state GOP legislator secretly working with them, I don't think anything will be done, unfortunately. It does seem as if the effort of the Virginia state government to pass some reasonable gun control laws is what has set off the current fear and agitation among the right. Right-wingers seem to be very aware of what is happening there, and sound defiant, but secretly they're probably petrified.

It’s just another lab where conservatives are testing the theory of how much they can achieve by being completely against any remote idea of compromise. The republic is crumbling around us. I would love for my son to live in an America where smart people can disagree and find good solutions. I’m less hopeful of that every day. Thanks GOP!

Back