• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I’m saying words against violence spoken by people without much power have limited impact in a violent country in which guns are plenty.

Can't believe a journal in 2016 published a study on gun laws based on 1990 data. That's before the Brady Bill, the Assault Weapons Ban, Heller and plenty of state and local level changes to gun laws.

I can't believe they didn't use a multivariate model selection analysis. They admit all through out that there are confounding, co-linear, and complex relationships in the data and then they go and basically do a set of univariate models and compare the statistics. It's really a statistical shit-show.

I’m saying words against violence spoken by people without much power have limited impact in a violent country in which guns are plenty.

Yep. People are always going to make bad decisions. But guns are massive magnifiers of those bad decisions, so we need to reduce access to guns, and there are many popular ways to do so (background checks, permits, reduced magazine capacity, red flag laws, etc)

Yep. People are always going to make bad decisions. But guns are massive magnifiers of those bad decisions, so we need to reduce access to guns, and there are many popular ways to do so (background checks, permits, reduced magazine capacity, red flag laws, etc)

and keeping them out of the hands of 15 year olds

Two deputies, two civilians killed in Boone. Shooter kills himself. Had a "stockpile of weapons." https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/shelter-place-ordered-watauga-co-community-due-police-activity/G7T26P242JF6TOHS2WBNYLDUJU/

“We shouldn’t have to go through this,” Hagaman said. “Once was devastating, but this is just unreal. It’s just -- I can’t put it into words. The saving grace though is the community has come together in support, both mentally, physically, spiritually. And so, we certainly want to let the community know that we know they love us.”

The sheriff also spoke about the initial call for a welfare check at the home.

“You know, he was waiting for the officers,” Hagaman said. “We had had an issue with him over the weekend.”

When asked if he believed his deputies were ambushed, the sheriff said, “No doubt. No doubt at all.”

If only there was something we could do to prevent people from "having to go through this" over and over and over and over and over again.

and keeping them out of the hands of 15 year olds

Yep. Fewer guns will help with that, but aggressively charging adult owners of guns when kids use them to shoot someone will also help.

Yep. Fewer guns will help with that, but aggressively charging adult owners of guns when kids use them to shoot someone will also help.

I'm not so sure that would make a difference. I'm all for safe storage laws etc. but more for safety against accidental shootings and suicide. The guns doing the damage on the streets are not situations where some kid got dad's gun. It's more likely that the gun was stolen or legally purchased, and then sold/traded on the streets several times before it got into the hands of the shooter. At least that's what I've read on the subject, not a personal participant in the underground gun trade.

ETA: I think fewer guns would definitely help, the post was in reference to the part of the sentence about charging adult owners.

I'm not so sure that would make a difference. I'm all for safe storage laws etc. but more for safety against accidental shootings and suicide. The guns doing the damage on the streets are not situations where some kid got dad's gun. It's more likely that the gun was stolen or legally purchased, and then sold/traded on the streets several times before it got into the hands of the shooter. At least that's what I've read on the subject, not a personal participant in the underground gun trade.

ETA: I think fewer guns would definitely help, the post was in reference to the part of the sentence about charging adult owners.

I hear ya, but I think it would help some regarding those shootings, and it certainly would help decrease accidental shootings and suicide. All of these policies, which have widespread support, will help to decrease the number of guns, which will ultimately decrease the number of all types of shootings.

They really should have sent some social workers to conduct the welfare check at the home of the mentally unstable individual.

Back