• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Kyle Rittenhouse is most certainly a winner here. No question there. This is a huge win for conservatives as well. I posted this a few days ago.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/11/rittenhouse-jury-verdict-self-defense-legal-analysis.html

———-

Rittenhouse’s killing of Rosenbaum may have been lawful. But that was scarcely self-evident to the bystanders who heard gunshots and then saw a killer holding an AR-15. The group of protesters who proceeded to chase and attack Rittenhouse could have reasonably believed that killing the armed teenager was necessary to save others from imminent bodily harm. If Rittenhouse had a right to shoot Huber and Grosskreutz in self-defense, the latter had a similarly legitimate basis for shooting Rittenhouse dead.

Put differently: Once Rittenhouse fired his first shots, he and his attackers plausibly entered a context in which neither could be held legally liable for killing the other. Whether one emerged from this confrontation legally innocent or lawfully executed hinged on little more than one’s relative capacity for rapidly deploying lethal violence. Rittenhouse had a more powerful weapon and a quicker trigger finger than Huber or Grosskreutz. Thus, he walks free, in full health, while Huber lies in a grave and Grosskreutz gets by without the bulk of his right bicep.

As Shaila Dewan notes in the New York Times, “legally kill or legally be killed” scenarios are just one of several pathological consequences of America’s lax gun regulations, and permissive police use of force and/or self-defense laws. In much of the country, Americans have a legal right to openly carry weapons of mass murder. And yet all it takes is one suspicious bystander, a phone call to the police, and the arrival of a trigger-happy cop for the legal act of carrying an AR-15 — or a toy gun — to become a legal basis for one’s summary execution.

If America’s permissive self-defense laws and abundant guns open up a vast zone of permissible killing, the precise borders of that territory are shaped by white supremacy. In a 2013 study of U.S. homicides, the Urban Institute found that killings involving “a white perpetrator and a black victim are 281 percent more likely to be ruled justified than cases with a white perpetrator and white victim.”

A legal environment that favors the armed in their confrontations with the unarmed, police in their confrontations with suspects, and whites in their confrontations with Blacks is antithetical to social peace, let alone social justice. It is, however, quite favorable to the American far right.

Kyle Rittenhouse is most certainly a winner here. No question there. This is a huge win for conservatives as well. I posted this a few days ago.

Repeating myself here, but I think it’s fair to sum up the scenario as our justice system favoring those who work on behalf of the state, officially or unofficially. Whether it be black criminal suspects, protestors, the poor, anyone asserting authority and dominance over those out groups will be treated preferably as the state

after being fired up by a litany of lies by the col anuses and sailors of the world who have been fired up by "alternative facts."

Imagine posting this—after being fired up by a litany of lies that the trial exposed one by one—without even a hint of irony.

Imagine posting this—after being fired up by a litany of lies that the trial exposed one by one—without even a hint of irony.

And here’s the last stooge coming in to celebrate.

I wouldn’t say “celebrate” so much as I would say “check in to see if a jury’s unanimous verdict caused anyone to take this occasion to engage in a modicum of introspection regarding their own prejudices or reevaluation of their source of news.”

Not sure why I bothered.

You don't deny the allegation.

I don't recall being on record as saying much more than kyle is a piece of shit human. I don't know enough about Wisconsin law to discuss the specific nuance in the case. I don't believe I've actually weighed in much there. Feel free to scour the thread looking for posts from me about it.

I do think the judge is a shit. Huzzah to the defense for ensuring he was judged by a jury of his peers. You know, white people. People like you, "compassionate" conservatives have weaponized millions of people like kyle including other kids for the sake of power and money for the wealthiest and worst of people in this country - I'm looking at you gop senators, donor class dark money donors, corporations putting profit over people for years. Prosperity gospel, trickle down economics etc. You don't even realize how deeply you have all been played. Don't get me wrong, the democratic leadership is complicit as well. Happy to benefit from years and years of unabated status quo. They road that train not realizing until trump the dangerous game they enabled.

There is no pivot coming against the systematic assault of our democracy until there are real consequences for this seditious behavior. I am not holding my breath.

Find those posts though.

I wouldn’t say “celebrate” so much as I would say “check in to see if a jury’s unanimous verdict caused anyone to take this occasion to engage in a modicum of introspection regarding their own prejudices or reevaluation of their source of news.”

Not sure why I bothered.

Eh there’s plenty of level headed takes on here but you’re not here for that or you’d be responding to those. You’re here to poke emotional posters and troll like it was a sports victory. Why is that?

And repeating myself, some wish to make everything political.

Everything is political. Insisting that *yours* is the apolitical viewpoint is itself a political bias. Consensus politics are still politics.

Not sure why I bothered.

Even you have to admit that Kyle Rittenhouse is going to get away with killing Jacob Blake.

Not sure why I bothered.

Much of the discussion has been questioning gun laws and self-defense laws. Feel free to engage in that discussion instead of making one up.

A Milwaukee Black Lives Matter activist said the Christmas parade attack in Waukesha, Wisconsin, appears to signal "the revolution" may have begun.

"I don’t know. Now we’ll have to wait and see because they do have somebody in custody. We may have to wait and see what they say about why this happened," Vaun Mayes said on Facebook Live on Monday. "But it sounds possible that the revolution has started in Wisconsin. It started with this Christmas parade."

Mayes is a well-known activist in Milwaukee. He describes himself as a "Battle rapper, Community activist, Songwriter, Tattoo artist, Militant," in his Twitter bio, which is accompanied by various hashtags, including "#BlackLivesMatter," "#BlackLoveMatters" and "#RBG."

is it being pedantic to ask for the link? was the word you used to describe my requests for those?

facebook live is definitely a good source, so i'm sure the original reporting that relies on facebook live must be super duper

Last edited:
The jury in Armaud Arbery’s murder is going into deliberations. We’ll see if conservatives go 2-0 for the week.

your posts reveal a consistent inability to tell good sources from poor ones, therefore, there is little point indicating the source for you, if you want the source, go look for it

well if I need to be shown a good source, maybe you could do the board a solid and provide it? after all, you went to the trouble to copy/paste the quote, might as well do the same for the link

The jury in Armaud Arbery’s murder is going into deliberations. We’ll see if conservatives go 2-0 for the week.

Is there a poster here who thinks they acted in self defense? I don't. Which conservatives are you so generously volunteering to speak for?

Back