• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

STC-L-Cartoon-0608.jpg

What about if we ban assault rifles, and make it so anyone with a diagnosed mental disorder (bipolar/manic/borderline) or anyone who has been prescribed SSRI's or anti-psychotic medication are banned from buying any gun.

I feel like this would catch 90% of shootings where guns are purchased legally.

Then throw in red flag laws with a due process clause, and boom I just solved the problem.

And by problem I mean people will still kill themselves and gangs will proceed to continue doing hoodrat shit.

Currently on an SSRI or ever? Maybe you know this, but a lot of people take an SSRI.

Reminder that Dr. Oz is a licensed professional.

Someone who could be sued if they sign off on a gun purchase that ends up being used in a crime.

What about if we ban assault rifles, and make it so anyone with a diagnosed mental disorder (bipolar/manic/borderline) or anyone who has been prescribed SSRI's or anti-psychotic medication are banned from buying any gun.

I feel like this would catch 90% of shootings where guns are purchased legally.

This is not a realistic solution, for a variety of reasons: only SSRIs, or SNRIs too? What about TCAs and other antidepressants? What about all the people that are taking these meds for neuropathic pain and don't have a mental illness?

The idea of healthcare providers clearing people to purchase guns also is not a realistic solution. The healthcare system, especially the mental healthcare system, is already overwhelmed with several month waiting periods. Adding this would further break the mental health system, and there is no evidence on how to effectively approach clearing people for guns.

As has been said many times, other countries have figured this out. It isn't complicated - gun access needs to be decreased. This includes raising the federal minimum age to 21, universal background checks, magazine capacity limits, assault weapons ban, red flag laws, and outlaw ghost guns.

This is not a realistic solution, for a variety of reasons: only SSRIs, or SNRIs too? What about TCAs and other antidepressants? What about all the people that are taking these meds for neuropathic pain and don't have a mental illness?

The idea of healthcare providers clearing people to purchase guns also is not a realistic solution. The healthcare system, especially the mental healthcare system, is already overwhelmed with several month waiting periods. Adding this would further break the mental health system, and there is no evidence on how to effectively approach clearing people for guns.

As has been said many times, other countries have figured this out. It isn't complicated - gun access needs to be decreased. This includes raising the federal minimum age to 21, universal background checks, magazine capacity limits, assault weapons ban, red flag laws, and outlaw ghost guns.

I am ok with all of these. I think we just need an additional layer to stop mentally unstable people from purchasing any kind of firearm and not have to wait on redflag laws.

I am ok with all of these. I think we just need an additional layer to stop mentally unstable people from purchasing any kind of firearm and not have to wait on redflag laws.

You’re going to have some major discrimination hurdles to over come with the “mentally unstable people can’t have guns” laws. I think it’s easier to just ban assault rifles, severe limits on hand guns, regulate magazine capacity and require back ground checks and waiting periods.

I like the Canadian requirement that domestic partners have to approve of someone purchasing a gun.

We’ve got plenty of countries to choose gun laws from. Pick one and do it.

I hear ya. But I think the option here is swift and effective red flag laws.

I like the Canadian requirement that domestic partners have to approve of someone purchasing a gun.

That's a great approach. What do they do when there isn't a domestic partner? Friend, family, colleague have to approve it?

Back