• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I hear ya. But I think the option here is swift and effective red flag laws.

I honestly don’t trust the police to execute red flag laws very well. They’ll pick and choose who to follow through on and inevitably black people will have more guns taken away that white people.

I honestly don’t trust the police to execute red flag laws very well. They’ll pick and choose who to follow through on and inevitably black people will have more guns taken away that white people.

A good point, but I still support red flag laws as an effective way to reduce the number of guns at any given time. Robust data collection should be part of the law, to hopefully identify such policing.

On second thought, yes, you have to have a doctor sign off to clear you for getting a gun. The medical community is fairly unified here, especially Pediatrics. Pass the law. Medical boards revoke your license is someone uses the firearm inappropriately. Most of us just refuse to sign. There will be a few loons in Texas, but an effective way to filter out the Covid-denier physicians before the next pandemic or public health emergency.

I really don’t care who has to sign on as long it’s people who are most likely impacted by the potential gun owner and people who sign in can be held liable if that gun is used in a crime.

On second thought, yes, you have to have a doctor sign off to clear you for getting a gun. The medical community is fairly unified here, especially Pediatrics. Pass the law. Medical boards revoke your license is someone uses the firearm inappropriately. Most of us just refuse to sign. There will be a few loons in Texas, but an effective way to filter out the Covid-denier physicians before the next pandemic or public health emergency.

This is a back door way you get liability insurance on guns. Only the MDs have to carry it.

I had no idea that South Dakota prairie dogs were so dangerous.

South Dakotans be like “I used to mow down prairie dogs with my AR-15 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.”

Credit where credit is due, I’m glad that Tillis reached across the aisle for this bill.

Biden should not sign the bill. He should send it back and tell them to give him something that has teeth. Expanded background checks, assault weapons ban, higher minimum age of purchase. Red Flag law is one thing, but the bill just provides funding for states to enact their own. All this bill will do is provide coverage for politician's when the next shooting happens and it wont do anything to prevent it.

It sounds like a handful of positive changes but nothing that necessarily would have stopped the majority of school shootings. More money for school "security" and mental health programs, access to criminal backgrounds checks for those under 21, offering money to states to implement red flag laws (though not requiring it). I fear this will be celebrated as a big win and nothing further will be put forward despite public demand for more major reforms that would have more meaningful impact on lives. Dems need to pass this but continue to press with votes on those more meaningful acts.

Biden should not sign the bill. He should send it back and tell them to give him something that has teeth. Expanded background checks, assault weapons ban, higher minimum age of purchase. Red Flag law is one thing, but the bill just provides funding for states to enact their own. All this bill will do is provide coverage for politician's when the next shooting happens and it wont do anything to prevent it.

This is exactly what anti-gun control community wants Biden to do. No changes to any laws and they have cover because "they tried." I support all of the additional provisions you suggest but the votes are not there. Take this as a first step and then move on to those changes next.

This is exactly what anti-gun control community wants Biden to do. No changes to any laws and they have cover because "they tried." I support all of the additional provisions you suggest but the votes are not there. Take this as a first step and then move on to those changes next.

They want him to push for greater change? Money for mental health and school security isn't gun control, its a GOP a win. It lets them say Mental Health and the lack of good guys with guns are the problem, not guns themselves. I would rather a bill that actual tackles guns gets passed.

None of the big things that were in the House bill were in the Senate bill. As soon as this bill gets signed, gun control moves down to the bottom of the list of priorities for Congress. I would rather people keep fighting for actual change, keep this in the news and not capitulate so quickly.

Agreed. A lot more needs be done, but this is at least a first step. Sign this and then keep working on proposals with more teeth.

Agreed. A lot more needs be done, but this is at least a first step. Sign this and then keep working on proposals with more teeth.

It is not a first step. It is the only step. We are not getting another gun control measure through the GOP.

South Dakotans be like “I used to mow down prairie dogs with my AR-15 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.”

Pretty cool the way they used the metric system on Tatooine.

Back