• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Someone threw poppers into the crowd and people bolted in Orlando

Highland park shooter appears to be a skinny wannabe rapper with delusions of grandeur. Like most of these shooters, this guy was an abject failure at life who had no courage or ability, but picking up an AR-15 gave him power. Without the AR-15, his cowardly ass would still be writing bad rap music in his mom's basement or wherever. The availability of these weapons allows cowards to kill people they would never stand up to in a mild verbal confrontation, much less an actual fight. Ban these stupid things, or if we can't do that, restrict them to being kept in locked storage at registered gun clubs so that gun nuts can waste their money and fulfill their fantasies without putting the rest of us at risk.

I've never posted on the politics board before but felt it was worth doing so today. I live in Highland Park and have attended the parade for 20 years or so. By dumb luck, I was sitting a block away from the shooter and was not in the line of fire. My kids thankfully are teen and college age and were "too cool" to attend the parade.

While my first instinct was to think that this can't be real, the very sad thought that then quickly went through my mind was that of course this can be real, this can happen anywhere. Like everyone else around us, we ran and were able to get away from the parade route quickly.

This isn't a large town. They've only announced two of the dead and one was someone we knew in the community. I fully expect that as more names get out, we'll know many of the victims.

I'm not looking for attention or sympathy. I just want to share how utterly terrifying the rapid fire nature of the gun shots was to hear, and the devastation that our community is experiencing in the aftermath. And I want to add my voice to the chorus of those that correctly point out that no other western nation lives like this. It's a political choice that has been forced upon us by the radical voices that control the Republican party and the extremist Supreme Court that enables the on demand weapons of war culture that is so prevalent.

Every society has mental illness, alienated youth, and violent video games. Only our nation provides easy access to weapons of war.

Glad you and your family are ok BTB. Horrible thing to go through.

This is why I was so pissed about the gun law that was just passed. Nothing in that law would stop the next shooting. It was lip service. I was told it was a small step forward, and that it was the best we could get. I am tired of inaction being misconstrued as change. The most of us want guns out of the hands of crazies, and make it harder for those people to get guns. We cant keep saying, oh its a small step forward, we need to do more.

Uncle Crimo obviously hasn't lawyered up yet because I can't imagine any attorney advising him that this interview would be a good idea.

I've never posted on the politics board before but felt it was worth doing so today. I live in Highland Park and have attended the parade for 20 years or so. By dumb luck, I was sitting a block away from the shooter and was not in the line of fire. My kids thankfully are teen and college age and were "too cool" to attend the parade.

While my first instinct was to think that this can't be real, the very sad thought that then quickly went through my mind was that of course this can be real, this can happen anywhere. Like everyone else around us, we ran and were able to get away from the parade route quickly.

This isn't a large town. They've only announced two of the dead and one was someone we knew in the community. I fully expect that as more names get out, we'll know many of the victims.

I'm not looking for attention or sympathy. I just want to share how utterly terrifying the rapid fire nature of the gun shots was to hear, and the devastation that our community is experiencing in the aftermath. And I want to add my voice to the chorus of those that correctly point out that no other western nation lives like this. It's a political choice that has been forced upon us by the radical voices that control the Republican party and the extremist Supreme Court that enables the on demand weapons of war culture that is so prevalent.

Every society has mental illness, alienated youth, and violent video games. Only our nation provides easy access to weapons of war.

thanks for sharing - glad you're okay

reports are the shooter had two interactions with the cops in 2019, one where police were due to threatening suicide and another where they were called because he threatened to kill "everyone" (presumably his family).

So there were plenty of warnings here. The problem is, even if we do agree to some sort of background check situation, the right wingers are always going to claim government is overreaching anytime they deny someone like this a gun.

Back