• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

we used to tase each other all the time at drunk HS parties. great fun.

never seen someone get shot with the police version though. I'd imagine it's the antithesis of fun.

It's the most intense pain you can imagine while the trigger is pulled. The pain is gone the second they release. You were probably using a stun gun. Those you tag someone with. A taser has barbs that eject, but can also be used to tag someone with (drive stun) if the cartridge is expended.

There's also a civilian model taser. It fires the barbs and discharges for 30 seconds (even if you release the trigger). The goal is to shoot someone and run to safety.

Just curious, what would you like to know? I haven't had either done, but I know quite a few who have.

Just if he feels that legitimate non-lethal force by police (he sarcastically mentioned cops using brass fisticuffs on thieves) has a place in law enforcement, or if he believes threat of deadly force should be the only recourse (which I thought he was implying by sarcastically asking if cops should be armed only with tasers and pepper spray). I was hypothesizing that someone who has been tasered or pepper sprayed would understand their ability to incapacitate a thief who was caught in the act (the context in which I brought it up, following posts by palma and Rev). If he has been and doesn't think so, I'd be interested in that conversation.

In the interest of disclosure, I caught an 'indirect' hit of pepper spray as a bystander to a fight that broke out next to me at a concert. The next 20 minutes really, really sucked.

Just if he feels that legitimate non-lethal force by police (he sarcastically mentioned cops using brass fisticuffs on thieves) has a place in law enforcement, or if he believes threat of deadly force should be the only recourse (which I thought he was implying by sarcastically asking if cops should be armed only with tasers and pepper spray). I was hypothesizing that someone who has been tasered or pepper sprayed would understand their ability to incapacitate a thief who was caught in the act (the context in which I brought it up, following posts by palma and Rev). If he has been and doesn't think so, I'd be interested in that conversation.

In the interest of disclosure, I caught an 'indirect' hit of pepper spray as a bystander to a fight that broke out next to me at a concert. The next 20 minutes really, really sucked.

That's what you get for taking your 12 yo cousins to see Justin Beiber.

My brother is a cop and got peppered during training, said it really sucked. Then he went home that day to shower and the residue in his hair gave him a second dose. But he did it (and tasers or even rubber bullets) would stop someone.

sent via Tapatalk on Galaxy Note II

Yes. Should Police be armed only with tasers and pepper sprays?

works out fine in lots of other industrialized nations. of course we first have to purge our nation of all these excess firearms to begin with. but after that yes, police only need tasers and pepper spray. we'll still have AR-15's and tactical shotguns at the station if needs be.

It's the most intense pain you can imagine while the trigger is pulled. The pain is gone the second they release. You were probably using a stun gun. Those you tag someone with. A taser has barbs that eject, but can also be used to tag someone with (drive stun) if the cartridge is expended.

There's also a civilian model taser. It fires the barbs and discharges for 30 seconds (even if you release the trigger). The goal is to shoot someone and run to safety.

oh I can believe it. not to mention the barbs themselves and the puncture wounds they could leave.

My brother is a cop and got peppered during training, said it really sucked. Then he went home that day to shower and the residue in his hair gave him a second dose. But he did it (and tasers or even rubber bullets) would stop someone.

as an avid consumer of hot sauces, i can tell you if you think mace in the face sucks, get some of that on your privates and get back to me. after i dice up my habernero's i'd much rather touch my eyes than ball sack; although neither is all that fun.

Last edited:
Such a reductive logical stance. Really runs out of legs when you need everyone to own guns in order for anyone to be safe, but that's the logical extension.

If the guns are concealed, couldn't you get something like herd immunity at 66% carrying or so?

Most cops say they'd rather be tased than pepper sprayed again since tasing is done the second the trigger is released, but pepper spray lingers for A LONG TIME.

Sure, if our injuries from drunk driving or drug overdoses are way, way out of whack with the numbers from other industrialized countries and indicate a deeper societal problem.

I would say that 10,200 drunk driving deaths in the US during 2010 is a societal problem. But how did we go from tracking injuries and deaths in the U.S. to comparing our fundamental problems with other countries? I feel like those are separate issues. Maybe not, but if that's the point you're trying to make, let's talk about Obesity and Adult onset diabetes in the U.S. compared to other countries. Those problems and the deaths that occur because of them kill a lot more people than guns do each year...

ETA: Most everyone calling for something to happen in regard to guns and their regulation make legitimate points, but I just really dislike it when the masses get riled up after a recent event but forget about systemic issues that don't sell newspapers.

And I also strongly believe that anything the government does will be counterproductive (and inefficient) to what we're trying to fix. I mean, the mere mention of banning 30 rd. clips and AR-15's has led normal people that would never think about getting one, to getting two. You can't find a Bushmaster AR-15 anywhere, and if you do, it 200% more expensive than it was two weeks ago. It's like prohibition except with guns...

However, I also strongly believe that you should at least have to go through a background check and a waiting period before you get a gun (any gun). After that, though, it should be regulated by each state and then regulated by SRO's and responsible gun-owners like anything else (cars, liquor, etc...).

Last edited:
Are you people really that dumb comparing automobile deaths to gun deaths, are you being disingenuous or just obtuse?

Are you people really that dumb comparing automobile deaths to gun deaths, are you being disingenuous or just obtuse?

I would love it if guns were as regulated automobiles in America. I would be very happy with that outcome.

I would love it if guns were as regulated automobiles in America. I would be very happy with that outcome.

I mean obviously that is the first part of it.. it is against the law to not wear your seat belt. It is against the law to speed. You have to have insurance for your car. You have to take a test to drive and get it updated periodically. There are rigorous safety and environmental standards that automobile manufacturers have to meet. Cars and drivers are regulated like a motherfucker.

But all that is beside the point. Cars are an ubiquitous and necessary part of our everyday lives that serve an essential purpose. You are comparing that to a violent weapon whose main purpose is to kill?

It came up while discussing societal issues. And it's drunk driving related automobile deaths. Not just automobile deaths. Big difference and pertinent to the conversation, IMHO...

No, not pertinent at all actually.

No one is out there arguing we need more drunk drivers on the streets.

Really, you don't think it's a societal issue? Have you read anything that I've written or are you just typing your first knee-jerk reaction?

I'm not arguing for more guns. I'm arguing that there are much larger issues that we as a society don't care to recognize because it's not on the front page of every newspaper in America.

Honest question, what's more dangerous to you; a loaded gun, or a drunk driver? They both have the ability to kill someone, right? Is that not what we're talking about here?

What is pertinent to you, then? I'm genuinely curious...

ETA: I see what you're saying, but this conversation only came up because of the mention of 'societal issues.'

We can get back to the topic at hand...

Last edited:

Aren't drunk drivers more likely to survive accidents than sober drivers/passengers because they don't tense up. Maybe we do need everyone to drive drunk. IT SAVES LIVES!

Really, you don't think it's a societal issue? Have you read anything that I've written or are you just typing your first knee-jerk reaction?

I'm not arguing for more guns. I'm arguing that there are much larger issues that we as a society don't care to recognize because it's not on the front page of every newspaper in America.

Honest question, what's more dangerous to you; a loaded gun, or a drunk driver? They both have the ability to kill someone, right? Is that not what we're talking about here?

What is pertinent to you, then? I'm genuinely curious...

Are people in favor of gun control saying that there are no other issues in America?

Person A: We need more gun control.

Person B: WHAT ABOUT AIDS????

I would say that 10,200 drunk driving deaths in the US during 2010 is a societal problem. But how did we go from tracking injuries and deaths in the U.S. to comparing our fundamental problems with other countries? I feel like those are separate issues. Maybe not, but if that's the point you're trying to make, let's talk about Obesity and Adult onset diabetes in the U.S. compared to other countries. Those problems and the deaths that occur because of them kill a lot more people than guns do each year...

ETA: Most everyone calling for something to happen in regard to guns and their regulation make legitimate points, but I just really dislike it when the masses get riled up after a recent event but forget about systemic issues that don't sell newspapers.

And I also strongly believe that anything the government does will be counterproductive (and inefficient) to what we're trying to fix. I mean, the mere mention of banning 30 rd. clips and AR-15's has led normal people that would never think about getting one, to getting two. You can't find a Bushmaster AR-15 anywhere, and if you do, it 200% more expensive than it was two weeks ago. It's like prohibition except with guns...

However, I also strongly believe that you should at least have to go through a background check and a waiting period before you get a gun (any gun). After that, though, it should be regulated by each state and then regulated by SRO's and responsible gun-owners like anything else (cars, liquor, etc...).

But people don't bitch when DUI laws are strengthened.

This is the weakness in your attempt to change the subject.

No one is saying if we strengthen gun laws it will solve ALL problems. You have to solve each problem separately. Conflating them is a ruse and is dishonest.

Back