• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Sleeping With Guns

The gun lobby likes to say guns don’t kill people, people do. And they’re right, of course. I killed my friend; no one else did; no mechanism did. But this oversimplifies matters (as does the gun control advocates’ position that eliminating weapons will end violent crime).

My friend was killed by a man who misunderstood guns, who imagined that comfort with — and affection for — guns was a vital component of manhood. I did not recognize a gun for what it was: a machine constructed for a purpose, one in which I had no real interest. I treated a tool as an essential part of my identity, and the result is a dead man and a grieving family and a survivor numbed by guilt whose story lacks anything resembling a proper ending.

They have been spreading this BS like manure in planting season.

The first paragraph = fact
Second paragraph = stating the right-wing myth
Third paragraph = government explanation

A good rule of thumb I've found is if Alex Jones holds one opinion, it's the wrong one. You should choose the other, we all should.

I would not be surprised to see some changes in AZ government. It was reported yesterday that new Senator Jeff Flakes approval vs neg rating dropped by over 25% after voting against background checks.

Avalon, you missed the real purpose of this law. The sequester is throwing thousands of old people in AZ off Meals on Wheels. The cities who buyback guns are going to give them to honest citizens and shop owners to protect themselves from marauding gangs of hungry grannies.

a very large portion of the guns turned in in buybacks are nonfunctional or cheap POS guns that would sell for pennies or not sell at all. I hope this brilliant new law allows the municipalities to sell them for scrap metal, the scrap value of most of them is probably higher than the value as a gun.

As far as facts, all I know is that a box of 50 rounds of ammunition for my M-1 Carbine that I could buy for $17.95 a few months ago now sells for over $50.00.

As far as facts, all I know is that a box of 50 rounds of ammunition for my M-1 Carbine that I could buy for $17.95 a few months ago now sells for over $50.00.

Isn't it remarkable how the marketplace can profit from trumped up, irrational fear.

Last edited:
Can't sell the dummies cancer-causing ciggies anymore so we're going to get them all tweaked out and sell them guns! Profit!

From the article: "Supporters of the measure said municipalities were wasting taxpayers' money by not realizing the revenue from reselling turned-in weapons."

This is so incredibly stupid. Let me guess, they will end up selling these guns (in almost every case junk or inoperable firearms) at a lower price than what they paid for them by way of the buy-back program. "Buy high, sell low, and make it up by volume."

This makes me wonder if somebody is out there right now scheming how to short-sell their guns to the government.

Back