• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

From the article: "Supporters of the measure said municipalities were wasting taxpayers' money by not realizing the revenue from reselling turned-in weapons."

This is so incredibly stupid. Let me guess, they will end up selling these guns (in almost every case junk or inoperable firearms) at a lower price than what they paid for them by way of the buy-back program. "Buy high, sell low, and make it up by volume."

This makes me wonder if somebody is out there right now scheming how to short-sell their guns to the government.

No doubt. What I'm even more worried about is municipalities in Arizona striking deals to sell their arms across the border or to people who will.

Can somebody explain why parents aren't getting charged in these incidents?

I guess you could argue that the possibility of a child dying would be enough to deter parents from leaving loaded weapons in the house, but it isn't.

If it's negligent to leave a kid in a hot car with the windows up, or improperly use a car seat, or even to smoke in a car with a kid, you would think leaving loaded guns accessible around the home would qualify.

I guess you could argue that the possibility of a child dying would be enough to deter parents from leaving loaded weapons in the house, but it isn't.

I can't answer your question. Assuming that in fact the parents aren't being charged, I can only speculate that the prosecutor has exercised his/her discretion that charging the parent of a dead child doesn't help matters any -- that the grieving parent has been punished enough.

North Carolina has a specific statute, N.C.G.S. Section 14-315.1, making it a crime (a Class 1 Misdemeanor) to leave a firearm in a condition where a minor can gain unauthorized access to the firearm. http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-315.1.html

My sons have the same rifle. One difference, when I'm not around the ammo/ gun are locked up and
put away. Tragic.

Same situation with me. My 7 y/o son has a .22 Henry Mini Youth Bolt bolt action rifle. The ammunition and weapon remain locked in a safe at all times.

Sounds like you two are responsible gun owners.

Typically, laws aren't made solely with responsible people in mind.

You both are doing the responsible thing, and that's admirable.

In essence, the actions of the parents dictate whether or not these accidents occur or even have the possibility to occur.

Start bringing in child protective services. Start charging parents with negligence. If you are too goddamned stupid to prevent your seven year old from shooting a sibling, you aren't suitable to continue being a parent.

It's a felony in Florida.

How easy would it have been for those guys to walk in a gun shop and buy a few guns the day before the bombing? The day after?

700.hq.jpg

Back