• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

LOL at the Editors note

A homeowner in Sacramento is being treated for non life threatening wounds after successfully fighting off 3 armed home invaders who tried to attack his home last night.

The homeowner grabbed a weapon after 3 armed men tried to break into the home, and opened fire.

The homeowner was shot by one of the suspects, but he managed to shoot all 3 suspects. One of the shot suspects died at the scene and the other 2 are being detained by police as they try to figure out exactly what happened.

Residents say there were children in the home at the time of the attempted home invasion. There may have been a children’s slumber party going on at the time of the attack.

Editor’s note: We are thankful that the homeowner was fast acting and armed or we could be talking about a mass murder of children at a slumber party today.

So in this editors mind, people go into a house to rob it and without resistance the likely outcome would be the mass murder of children in a slumber party.

No offense, but posting links such as the above generally makes you look like a lunatic, and why the idea of you walking around with a gun scares the crap outta me.

You don't need to defend your flat screen television with lethal force. I got into my car the other day and noticed my glove compartment open and center console open when I got in. Someone rumaged around and I have nothing in there so didn't notice anything missing. If I caught the guy should I have killed him if I was carrying? My worry is you would have, since you read these stories and see positive stories of people standing up for themselves.

If the average gun owner were to purchase insurance for their personal property that could be stolen in a home invasion it would likely cost you like $3 per month, i.e. an amount significantly less than you have spent on your guns.

Granted the price of coyote insurance is reaching unaffordable levels these days.

I didn't claim in any way that I support shooting anyone for stealing anything, merely pointing out how often guns are used by good guys. You assume that the suspects in the above story brought guns they didn't intend to use? Why? Posting a link and questioning why we don't hear more about these incidents makes me a lunatic, get real. You don't know shit about me or how I handle myself in any situation, so keep your opinions of what I might do to yourself.

But people don't bitch when DUI laws are strengthened.

This is the weakness in your attempt to change the subject.

No one is saying if we strengthen gun laws it will solve ALL problems. You have to solve each problem separately. Conflating them is a ruse and is dishonest.

You have a way with words, (and people) RJ. I'm not trying to change the subject. Someone mentioned guns as a societal issue. I am arguing that there are more important societal issues. Argue against that if you'd like to or not as it's just an opinion.

And for the record, I am for stricter gun laws. I just don't think it will solve many of the problems that we're currently dealing with...

You have a way with words, (and people) RJ. I'm not trying to change the subject. Someone mentioned guns as a societal issue. I am arguing that there are more important societal issues. Argue against that if you'd like to or not as it's just an opinion.

And for the record, I am for stricter gun laws. I just don't think it will solve many of the problems that we're currently dealing with...

But this thread has nothing to do with stricter drunk driving laws, fixing the economy or world hunger.

Of course strengthening gun laws won't impact other problems, but it will help the gun problem.

I didn't claim in any way that I support shooting anyone for stealing anything, merely pointing out how often guns are used by good guys. You assume that the suspects in the above story brought guns they didn't intend to use? Why? Posting a link and questioning why we don't hear more about these incidents makes me a lunatic, get real. You don't know shit about me or how I handle myself in any situation, so keep your opinions of what I might do to yourself.

all we know about you is what you post

Then read my posts. I am not even remotely extreme in any way.

Are people in favor of gun control saying that there are no other issues in America?

Person A: We need more gun control.

Person B: WHAT ABOUT AIDS????

Obviously you're not getting the point.

So, more gun control. That will fix things like Newtown from happening again?

I'm genuinely curious about why people think government intervention will fix this problem. I agree that we need to do something about 'guns' in general, but I think there needs to be some incentive involved. You can't just say, "Oh, this gun isn't allowed" because then, that same crazy mother fucker who wants to kill people, will just use the one that is allowed.

It's a terrible situation, but just making background checks a requirement would solve a lot of these issues it seems. That, I am strongly in favor of. Especially at gun shows where (depending on the state) you can walk in with cash and buy a weapon that would normally require a FFL or Class III license.

My buddy bought a SWAT Sig Sauer Fully Automatic Sub-machine gun from a gun show in Raleigh and just needed to get a Class III sticker or something to be compliant, but nobody would have ever known he had it had he not voluntarily followed protocol. To me, that is something that desperately needs to change...

ETA: Maybe he bought that in VA. He went to dental school at VCU, so it might have been when he was in Richmond. Point still stands, though. Brady act really hasn't stopped gun violence and 35 states (I think) still haven't bothered touching the supposed 'Gun Show Loophole.'

Last edited:
Obviously you're not getting the point.

So, more gun control. That will fix things like Newtown from happening again?

I'm genuinely curious about why people think government intervention will fix this problem. I agree that we need to do something about 'guns' in general, but I think there needs to be some incentive involved. You can't just say, "Oh, this gun isn't allowed" because then, that same crazy mother fucker who wants to kill people, will just use the one that is allowed.

It's a terrible situation, but just making background checks a requirement would solve a lot of these issues it seems. That, I am strongly in favor of. Especially at gun shows where (depending on the state) you can walk in with cash and buy a weapon that would normally require a FFL or Class III license.

My buddy bought a SWAT Sig Sauer Fully Automatic Sub-machine gun from a gun show in Raleigh and just needed to get a Class III sticker or something to be compliant, but nobody would have ever known he had it had he not voluntarily followed protocol. To me, that is something that desperately needs to change...

Ok, so the whole drunk driving and obesity stuff you now admit had nothing to do with your real thinking that nothing the government does will have any effect whatsoever.

Why do most people say government regulation has massively detrimental effects on things like the economy and can grind it to a halt... but no matter the regulation on guns everything will stay just as bad.

Here's one question... why aren't guns child-proof?

Then read my posts. I am not even remotely extreme in any way.

You linked the most extreme gun toting website I've ever seen in my life. To answer your previous question, robbers bring guns to aid in successful robberies, not to mass murder kids on a sleepover.

It's not just one thing. There have to be multiple changes:

End Gun shows where private sale are able to be made.

Every sale or transfer of ownership of any gun or rifle or bullet shooting weapon should have to have a full background check and be registered.

Have a buyback of all magazines and drums that hold more than 10 (15) rounds. After which create significant penalties for possession or sale of them and have even stiffer penalties if you use such a device in a crime.

Have buyback of assault weapons (have more stringent definitions than in 1994). After this grace period make them illegal again.

I'm open to other laws that are sensible, but these area good start.

You linked the most extreme gun toting website I've ever seen in my life

logo_wide.jpg

But this thread has nothing to do with stricter drunk driving laws, fixing the economy or world hunger.

Of course strengthening gun laws won't impact other problems, but it will help the gun problem.

Ok, that's debatable but that's kind of my point in a nutshell. Maybe strengthening gun laws will help with the gun problem, but is the 'gun problem' what we should even be focusing on or is it just hype and hysteria after a recent event?

And you're right, this thread isn't for that. However, someone mentioned 'guns' as a societal issue so I was relating to that with other (seemingly larger) societal issues.

You linked the most extreme gun toting website I've ever seen in my life. To answer your previous question, robbers bring guns to aid in successful robberies, not to mass murder kids on a sleepover.

LOL you should get out more if that is the most extreme thing you have ever seen. So you are willing to risk your family's life that the reason the three men who broke in and brought loaded weapons did so just to scare you? LOL and I'm the lunatic...

LOL you should get out more if that is the most extreme thing you have ever seen. So you are willing to risk your family's life that the reason the three men who broke in and brought loaded weapons did so just to scare you? LOL and I'm the lunatic...

If three armed men are breaking into my house, I'm putting family's life in the most danger by doing anything other than letting them steal whatever they want. I do nothing in my life that would result in having three armed men wanting to break into my house to do me particular harm. They want my television and wife's jewelry.

How come a 3-year-old can't open a bottle of aspirin but can shoot himself in the face by accident? How is this possible?

Are you setting me up to say, "Oh, he only shot himself in the foot, not the face..." or did you link the wrong article?

Yeah, stuff like that shouldn't happen. But keeping it out of a child's reach is a lot more plausible than putting a child proof lock on every handgun manufactured. A responsible gun owner would have 1) not had the gun loaded and 2) kept it in a small safe that only he or another responsible adult had the key/code to...

If three armed men are breaking into my house, I'm putting family's life in the most danger by doing anything other than letting them steal whatever they want. I do nothing in my life that would result in having three armed men wanting to break into my house to do me particular harm. They want my television and wife's jewelry.

I suppose you are right, no innocent people are ever raped or killed during home invasions....oh wait?

The sheer notion that you think you're better off having the ability to start a conflict with THREE armed men who catch you by surprise is sheer lunacy.

The sheer notion that you think you're better off having the ability to start a conflict with THREE armed men who catch you by surprise is sheer lunacy.

What part of me sitting in my home bothering no one and 3 armed men breaking in MY house is ME starting a conflict???? Do you actually hear yourself?

Are you setting me up to say, "Oh, he only shot himself in the foot, not the face..." or did you link the wrong article?

Yeah, stuff like that shouldn't happen. But keeping it out of a child's reach is a lot more plausible than putting a child proof lock on every handgun manufactured. A responsible gun owner would have 1) not had the gun loaded and 2) kept it in a small safe that only he or another responsible adult had the key/code to...

Sorry, wrong 3-year-old shooting. I read this one a while ago, that other one just happened so it came up first on google.

Why do we take the responsibility out of the owners of aspirin, but expect all gun owners to be responsible with an even greater responsibility? 500+ kids are killed a year just in gun accidents. Why is it not plausible to force manufacturers to institute measures that would stop a 3-year-old from being able to pull the trigger? We expect much more out of auto manufacturers.

Back