• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

The difference is a car isn't designed to kill people. It does so if operated improperly. A gun kills people by design.

Mine must defective then, because no person has died while any were in my hand. Some birds, squirrels, rabbits and deer have made a trip to my plate because of them, but that is it. Maybe the handful of WWII era guns I own might have been used to deal with an enemy, but I do not know that.

And for cars malfunctioning and/or being safe, you do know that the CDC reports that deaths due to alcohol related auto accidents is higher that firearms homicides, right?

And for the guy with the neck tattoo, WTF...

Thanks for posting. This is good news overall.

Of course there are two ways to spin these stats. The pro-gun spin is "gun crime is down, why do we need more gun regulation?" The anti-gun spin is you still have over 11,000 people a year getting killed by guns, and nearly a half-million nonfatal gun victimizations.

Note the stat that less than 1% of crime victims report using a firearm to defend themselves. Again, two possible spins - if more people had guns, we'd have more prevention of crimes, vs. it appears that the widespread availability of guns isn't doing much to reduce crime.

Another possible spin is the commonly quoted belief of many pro-gun organizations that there are a lot of unreported attempted crimes deterred or prevented by gun owners. That's obviously outside this study but that needs to be rigorously examined because it is a really important consideration one way or another.

It also defeats the spin that more guns equals more crime...

The difference is a car isn't designed to kill people. It does so if operated improperly. A gun kills people by design.

Mine must defective then, because no person has died while any were in my hand. Some birds, squirrels, rabbits and deer have made a trip to my plate because of them, but that is it. Maybe the handful of WWII era guns I own might have been used to deal with an enemy, but I do not know that.

And for cars malfunctioning and/or being safe, you do know that the CDC reports that deaths due to alcohol related auto accidents is higher that firearms homicides, right?

And for the guy with the neck tattoo, WTF...

what about a handgun? those are meant to do harm to other humans. yeah ok sure people are doing target practice with them as with other guns, but other than that the purpose of these guns are to inflict harm on others. maybe maliciously, maybe in the name of protection. but you aren't hunting animals with hand guns.

Maybe I phrased it poorly. Surely it is legal to consume alcohol, and separately, drive cars. It is not legal to do both to some extent. However, as the media always relays it in almost any type of shooting, it is the fault of the firearm. However, the media never portrays the deaths of those due to impaired driving as the fault of car manufacturers, brewers and distillers. I simply find that odd...

I think the media blames criminals plenty. But they also call for increased regulations over the weapons used. Driving is already more heavily regulated.

Would you be OK with requiring the same regulations for gun use as for driving a car?

Firearms have such a persecution complex. You wouldn't think a piece of metal would be so sensitive.

I never see a story in the local paper about some gangbanger shooting up the corner that then goes on to blame the gun or cite society-wide gun statistics. Each individual firearm crime or accident is and should be treated as the act of the responsible individual. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't have a discussion about how those individuals are getting access to the weapons they are using criminally or irresponsibly.

what about a handgun? those are meant to do harm to other humans. yeah ok sure people are doing target practice with them as with other guns, but other than that the purpose of these guns are to inflict harm on others. maybe maliciously, maybe in the name of protection. but you aren't hunting animals with hand guns.

In most states, it is perfectly legal to hunt game with a handgun. Just because you think it does not happen does not make it so...

what does? The whole report or one particular stat I mentioned? please clarify.

It is interesting to note that some studies indicate that the percentage of households owning guns has gone way down since the 70s, even thought the absolute number of guns has gone up (due mostly to collectors such as yourself). Are there any reliable recent studies on the relationship between gun ownership and crime rates on a granular, neighborhood level?

A gun in a safe without any action from the universe...just sits there.

Dude, I know you are passionate about this subject, but history and every other first world country disagree with you.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2013/05/15/student-reported-to-sro-for-reading-sportsman-catalog

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Parents of a 6th grade student at New Hanover County's Trask Middle School are outraged after they say their son was reprimanded after looking at a catalog with guns.

Stanley Wardrip, says he got a call yesterday from the school resource officer. The issue was one he never could have expected.

Wardrip says his son was reading a sportsman catalog while on the school bus. He says his son was not looking at the magazine in class, but some other students were talking about it. When the teacher overheard, she called the principal, who notified the resource officer, Wardrip said.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2013/05/15/student-reported-to-sro-for-reading-sportsman-catalog

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Parents of a 6th grade student at New Hanover County's Trask Middle School are outraged after they say their son was reprimanded after looking at a catalog with guns.

Stanley Wardrip, says he got a call yesterday from the school resource officer. The issue was one he never could have expected.

Wardrip says his son was reading a sportsman catalog while on the school bus. He says his son was not looking at the magazine in class, but some other students were talking about it. When the teacher overheard, she called the principal, who notified the resource officer, Wardrip said.

WGAF? If a teacher overhears a bunch of 6th graders talking about guns at school, it's probably protocol to call the prinicipal and/or SRO. If they call your home, kindly tell them thanks for the concern and go back to watching The Voice or whatever. What would possess you to make a huge deal out of it?

First, I don't have a clue as to what the Voice is, as I don't watch a lot of TV. Second, the teacher, principal and cop all need to be fired for attempting to turn the school into an anti-gun repository. I would have cussed the SOB out for wasting my time and told him not to speak to my son again.

First, I don't have a clue as to what the Voice is, as I don't watch a lot of TV. Second, the teacher, principal and cop all need to be fired for attempting to turn the school into an anti-gun repository. I would have cussed the SOB out for wasting my time and told him not to speak to my son again.

i'm sorry, three people need to lose their jobs for being overcautious about a kid looking at pictures of guns and placing a phone call to the parents?

You have perhaps heard that there have been some horrific school shootings in this country, and that the schools are under immense pressure to provide a safe environment? Maybe this has escaped your attention.

I know I'm a really laid back dude, sometimes to my detriment, this is just so crazy to me.

And after you did that, I would hope social services paid you a little visit because clearly the child is being raised in a hostile environment.

wtfjaguars.gif

no no, you misunderstood. the student brought in the catalog so teacher can pick out which gun they'd like to carry to school. the NRA says we need teachers carrying, so this student was trying to help out.

Note the stat that less than 1% of crime victims report using a firearm to defend themselves. Again, two possible spins - if more people had guns, we'd have more prevention of crimes, vs. it appears that the widespread availability of guns isn't doing much to reduce crime.

I noticed that as well, probably the most interesting stat in the whole report...

RaleighDevil, where was the gun violence/injury in that story?

This thread is fucking awful. I don't own any guns and I think they're by and large for little men with inferiority complexes but this thread is just the worst.

Back