• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Largest insurer of schools says "no thanks" to armed kindergarten teachers.

Insurer says no to guns in school

Publication Date 06/19/2013
Source: Topeka Capital Journal (KS)

Insurer says no to guns in school
Allowing teachers and other employees to carry guns under a new state law would cost most school districts their insurance.

EMC Insurance Companies, the state's main insurer of schools, won't insure districts with armed employees under the new law, which takes effect July 1. Districts already insured by EMC wouldn't have their policies renewed.

"We understand that school districts have every right to decide which way they want to go," Bernie Zalaznik, EMC's resident vice president in Wichita, said Monday. "But we have to make the decision based on what we perceive to be our best financial interest."

EMC, which Zalaznik estimated insures about 90 percent of Kansas' 286 school districts, has issued a letter to its agents around the state, explaining that concealed carry would pose too great a risk.

"We are making this underwriting decision simply to protect the financial security of our company," said the May 15 letter, which can be viewed in full on The Topeka Capital-Journal's website.

Zalaznik and the Kansas Association of School Boards said some school districts have been showing interest in letting employees carry firearms. Currently, only law enforcement officers can carry guns on school property.

Zalaznik said he had heard directly from or indirectly of about five or six districts seeking information on allowing guns in schools. David Shriver, director of the school board association's insurance program, said about a dozen districts around the state, mostly small ones, had called and expressed interest.

The school board association is advising all districts against taking advantage of the new law.

Shriver said two other insurers of districts, Wright Specialty Insurance and Continental Western Group, also have decided either not to cover liabilities related to concealed firearms or not to insure such districts at all.

When contacted, Continental Western declined to comment. The Capital-Journal is seeking confirmation from Wright Speciality.

The new law lets school boards designate employees who can bring guns to school. The employees must have valid concealed-carry permits.

No districts in Shawnee County have plans to let employees carry guns.

"We haven't discussed it," Tim Hallacy, Silver Lake Unified School District 372 superintendent, said Monday. "I don't see that as being a discussion point, and personally I'm not very interested."

Julie Ford, superintendent of Topeka USD 501, said the district would continue to entrust its security to its police department.

"We have 20 police officers on any day that are in Topeka schools," Ford said.

Shawnee Heights USD 450, Auburn-Washburn USD 437 and Seaman USD 345 also said allowing concealed carry wasn't on their agendas.

"Our administration and school police department feel very strongly about this," Seaman communications director Jeff Zehnder said.

Seaman has four police officers patrolling its buildings, Auburn- Washburn has one, Shawnee Heights has two, and Silver Lake shares an officer with Rossville USD 321.

EMC insures two districts in Shawnee County: Shawnee Heights and Silver Lake.

Unless school boards take action to allow staff members to have guns, firearms will continue to be banned on their properties except when carried by police officers.

Still, at least one school district, Wichita USD 259, may pass a policy to make clear that concealed carry isn't allowed. The potential policy "prohibits everyone from possessing firearms in district buildings, provides for disciplining employees for possession of any firearm and requires signage at all entrances to district buildings as approved by the Kansas attorney general," a USD 259 school board agenda says.

The board was scheduled to discuss the matter Monday, but hasn't voted yet.

(c) 2013 ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved.

Sponsors

Featured White Paper
Chemical Companies: Preparing for an Inspection

To advertise on FPN...
ads@advisen.com.

Not sure what you are talking about, but my Glock 19 in 9x19 has a flush fitting magazine that holds 15 cartridges, and my Glock 23 in 40 S&W has one that holds 13 cartridges flush fitting. So, those are the manufacturer's intent with those models. My Walther PPKS in 380 ACP holds seven, as does my 1911 in 45 ACP. All flush fit. So, what magazines are you specifically talking about?

Dude please let me know the general area where you reside so I don't invade your perimeter.

Not sure what you are talking about, but my Glock 19 in 9x19 has a flush fitting magazine that holds 15 cartridges, and my Glock 23 in 40 S&W has one that holds 13 cartridges flush fitting. So, those are the manufacturer's intent with those models. My Walther PPKS in 380 ACP holds seven, as does my 1911 in 45 ACP. All flush fit. So, what magazines are you specifically talking about?

stop playing dumb with me. I'm talking about shit like this:

Extended_magazine.jpg

not flush with the handle aka the manufacturer's original intent for the gun

barca, he'll just dance around this to protect mass murderers, criminals and the gun industry.

The only way we can be safe is to arm kids from the age of 3. I'll call the NRA now. Elkman you wanna be my point guy on this?

Was it you a few pages ago that thought that it was legal to order firearms through the mail simply because a politician said so? Or was that rjkarl? I am pretty sure I have pointed out provisions of the GCA of 1968, which existed prior to Al Gore inventing the internet, so I am not sure what kind of honest debate you would like to have...

Hahaha. Talk about a great example. That has nothing to do with what I was saying or all the incidents posted on this thread.

We need to give the mother a gun so she can defend her child from her child who had the mother's gun.

This is obvious people.

although elkman (presumably) has never shot another human, I still have to wonder if he realizes he is the extreme nut job we, incl. him, are all concerned about?

See the key here is to put a gun in the two year old's hands as quickly as possible. I've heard that there are studies being done to see if it is physically possible to implant a glock inside the womb so when a fetus hits about 5 months they can begin feeling comfortable with their best friend for life. There really isn't any other way to stop this than make sure that we arm our children as soon as possible. It's sad that this happened but it definitely is preventable once everyone realizes that the only way to have kept this from happening was to make sure there was a good two year old there with a gun to stop this travesty.

Starting tomorrow anyone with a gun in MS can openly carry it in public. You can go openly strapped to the grocery store or bar or when dropping your kid off at school.

Open carry on school grounds? Yeah, I doubt that. I also doubt you'd be able to open carry on private property that has posted notices prohibiting it.

Starting tomorrow anyone with a gun in MS can openly carry it in public. You can go openly strapped to the grocery store or bar or when dropping your kid off at school.

The open carry law will not trump existing laws that ban carrying a weapon onto school grounds.

See the key here is to put a gun in the two year old's hands as quickly as possible. I've heard that there are studies being done to see if it is physically possible to implant a glock inside the womb so when a fetus hits about 5 months they can begin feeling comfortable with their best friend for life. There really isn't any other way to stop this than make sure that we arm our children as soon as possible. It's sad that this happened but it definitely is preventable once everyone realizes that the only way to have kept this from happening was to make sure there was a good two year old there with a gun to stop this travesty.

5 months? You commie. First trimester.

The best way to stop Planned Parenthood is a fetus with a gun.

Yea, that's not really accurate at all....

So to summaize you have no response to my points other than not wanting other people to have a,say in what you can and cannot legally do. Good for you but you live in the wrong country. In fact short of owning a provate island, you are shit out of luck period. Keep giving reasonable gun owners a bad name though, as that is your right.

Since another poster stated I insulted you, I went back and reread your original post. I do not see where I insulted you, but I think that was from rj, who calls me an extremist, which I find comical. Anyway, giving reasonable gun owners a bad name? I would rather not be branded a felon for possessing a plastic or metal box with a spring in it, so I believe many other citizens might agree with me on that end. I split time between NJ and NY, so I adhere to the fifteen and ten round magazine limits respectively, as I am a law abiding citizen...

stop playing dumb with me. I'm talking about shit like this:

Extended_magazine.jpg

not flush with the handle aka the manufacturer's original intent for the gun

That looks like a fish riding a bicycle. I do agree that a 32 round magazine for a Glock 17 is kind of pointless...

Back