• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Maybe a company could come up with an affordable 'Panic Room'- type product where all the bedrooms in the house are fitted with steel doors with reinforced frames- once an alarm is set off upon intrusion, all the doors bolt lock and everyone is safe. There ya go, no guns needed.

Maybe a company could come up with an affordable 'Panic Room'- type product where all the bedrooms in the house are fitted with steel doors with reinforced frames- once an alarm is set off upon intrusion, all the doors bolt lock and everyone is safe. There ya go, no guns needed.

My luck I would be on the crapper dropping a duece when that happened. I suppose things would get real shitty when that happened.

but lets say you had kids, and so you locked both away in your hi-tech safe. do you really think you'd be able to get to them in time in the event of a home invasion (and by the way do you really wanna kill some thieves? I understand that you have to protect you and your fam, but do you want to shoot someone over a flat screen TV and some jewelry?) Seems to me maybe, maybe not. So the only real way to be sure you can protect yourself would be to have it on your person (kids or no). if you did have it on your person then at least the kids can't get it and you can, but do you fellows keep your firearms on you when eating dinner or going to bed? and unless it has a safety or a VERY heavy trigger pull, or you leave the chamber empty, you'd need a proper holster for one as well.

bernbp5 still has a very legit point that nobody in the pro-gun side has yet to respond to. Most people don't have fingerprint safes, or proper holsters. how does average, "responsible," john doe have his firearm accessible enough to use in the event of a break in, but yet secure enough his kids can't find it and shoot themselves?

A safe on your bedside table that is opened by fingerprint scanning would secure a weapon and would allow it to be accesible in under 3-5 seconds. Most "responsible" gun owners would have something of the sort if there were kids around. If I don't have more than 3-5 seconds to get to my gun i'm toast anyway. Lots of questions that seem to be brought up by anti-gun people who just aren't very informed about firearms/weapons in general or the ways that they can be stored.

I also see a lot of people who talk about how shooting "a thief" is way over the line and that people should just let them steal whatever they want if they break into your house. My response would be how do you know that someone who just forced themselves into your house in the dead of night (or broad daylight) doesn't want to harm you? If someone is going to go to those types of steps to gain entry into my home how do I know he/she doesn't have a weapon on them and isn't coming to do me harm? It's not like pro-gun people are looking for this to occur so that we can sneak downstairs on a thief and shoot him in the back while he's walking out the door with the TV. In the event of a break-in i'd arm myself, alert the intruder that police had been called, that I was armed, and that he should leave the house/appartment/building. A normal burglar would then flee and the threat of having a weapon if needed would have done what it's job. If upon making my presence know to the intruder he came at me, I would only logically believe that he was not there to steal things from me, but that he was in the home to cause my family or myself harm and I would have to act on that.

Also, dmcheatw, you can get a fingerprint gun safe for like 150 bucks. I'd argue that if you intend to spend anywhere from $500-$1000 on a handgun that forking over $150 bucks or so to keep it secure while also being quickly available is the responsible thing to do and those that do are not being responsible with their firearms. As several people have posted about with young children getting ahold of loaded weapons that $150 is something that any responsible firearm owner owes to their self as well as others.

Last edited:
A safe on your bedside table that is opened by fingerprint scanning would secure a weapon and would allow it to be accesible in under 3-5 seconds. Most "responsible" gun owners would have something of the sort if there were kids around. If I don't have more than 3-5 seconds to get to my gun i'm toast anyway. Lots of questions that seem to be brought up by anti-gun people who just aren't very informed about firearms/weapons in general or the ways that they can be stored.

I also see a lot of people who talk about how shooting "a thief" is way over the line and that people should just let them steal whatever they want if they break into your house. My response would be how do you know that someone who just forced themselves into your house in the dead of night (or broad daylight) doesn't want to harm you? If someone is going to go to those types of steps to gain entry into my home how do I know he/she doesn't have a weapon on them and isn't coming to do me harm? It's not like pro-gun people are looking for this to occur so that we can sneak downstairs on a thief and shoot him in the back while he's walking out the door with the TV. In the event of a break-in i'd arm myself, alert the intruder that police had been called, that I was armed, and that he should leave the house/appartment/building. A normal burglar would then flee and the threat of having a weapon if needed would have done what it's job. If upon making my presence know to the intruder he came at me, I would only logically believe that he was not there to steal things from me, but that he was in the home to cause my family or myself harm and I would have to act on that.

Also, dmcheatw, you can get a fingerprint gun safe for like 150 bucks. I'd argue that if you intend to spend anywhere from $500-$1000 on a handgun that forking over $150 bucks or so to keep it secure while also being quickly available is the responsible thing to do and those that do are not being responsible with their firearms. As several people have posted about with young children getting ahold of loaded weapons that $150 is something that any responsible firearm owner owes to their self as well as others.

it's fair enough that in the event of a home invasion, if you shot someone dead (provided they weren't in the process of attempting to running away) i personally wouldn't take issue with that under most circumstances. I was just pointing out that most break ins are for the purposes of theft, and most thieves aren't looking to hurt anyone.

And I didn't realize a fingerprint safe was so cheap, i Imagine the price goes up a lot when you wanna store a rifle, and goes up further still if you wanted to store multiple rifles. but for a single home defense sort of weapon i GUESS that works, although i bet most people who own guns and have kids and consider themselves responsible owners don't even have a safe, much less a finger print one.

maybe a law should be passed that to purchase a handgun you must also purchase a fingerprint safe.

it's fair enough that in the event of a home invasion, if you shot someone dead (provided they weren't in the process of attempting to running away) i personally wouldn't take issue with that under most circumstances. I was just pointing out that most break ins are for the purposes of theft, and most thieves aren't looking to hurt anyone.

And I didn't realize a fingerprint safe was so cheap, i Imagine the price goes up a lot when you wanna store a rifle, and goes up further still if you wanted to store multiple rifles. but for a single home defense sort of weapon i GUESS that works, although i bet most people who own guns and have kids and consider themselves responsible owners don't even have a safe, much less a finger print one.

maybe a law should be passed that to purchase a handgun you must also purchase a fingerprint safe.

That would be a good law (requiring safe storage). It would be akin to fireworks permits or insurance requirements for automobile ownership.

Yay GUNS!

2013 off to violent start in Philly with three homicides

POSTED: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 2:22 PM

The first few hours of 2013 had police in several neighborhoods busy as the year kicked off to a violent start in Philadelphia, with three people shot to death – one in the midst of a triple shooting

In the first homicide of the year, cops say a 16-year-old boy was outside a house on Carpenter Street near 56th in West Philadelphia around 12:30 a.m. when he was shot in the chest and hand. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and pronounced dead there at 12:50 a.m., police said. No arrests were reported in that homicide.

At 2:36 a.m., a 20-year-old man in Frankford became the year’s second homicide victim in the city, police said. The man was shot once in the head inside a house on Pratt Street near Darrah, according to police, and pronounced dead there at 2:48 a.m. No arrests have been made in that slaying.

About an hour after that, three people were wounded – one fatally – when they were shot inside a house on Venango Street near 17th in Tioga. A 23-year-old man who was shot in the chest was taken to Temple University Hospital and pronounced dead there at 4:04 a.m. The second victim, a 22-year-old man shot in the chest and foot was also taken to Temple, where he remained in critical condition later Tuesday, and the third victim, a 22-year-old man shot in the foot, was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center in stable condition, cops said.

A 21-year-old woman was also hurt in that shooting when she jumped out of a second floor window to avoid gunfire and may have fractured bones in both her feet, police said. She was not shot, and she was hospitalized in stable condition.

In that triple shooting/homicide, cops made an arrest almost immediately and recovered the gun they believe was used.

if people in philly had more guns this shit wouldn't have happened

the further away we get from SHES, the less likely it feels like anything will happen. which sucks.

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - December 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a central Pennsylvania man shot and killed his estranged girlfriend while their 4-month-old son slept in a crib nearby.

Harrisburg police say a man who was in 21-year-old Adreanne Evans' apartment on Thursday was also shot by her ex, 36-year-old Lagenza Junious.

Evans was found in her bedroom dead of a shotgun wound to the head about 6 a.m. Her companion was also shot in the head and remains hospitalized.

Junious surrendered to police a short time later. Authorities say he and Evans lived in the same building and were recently in a relationship.

The Patriot-News of Harrisburg reports a Junious allegedly told Evans, "If I can't have you, nobody will," before he opened fire.

Junious didn't answer questions after his arraignment. He faces murder and other charges.

3-year-old in Oklahoma fatally shoots himself in accident after finding his state trooper uncle's loaded gun

Ryder Rozier, 3, fatally shot himself accidentally on Saturday after finding a loaded firearm at his uncle’s home. His uncle, Ian Rozier, had several guns in his house near Guthrie, Okla.

The identity of a 3-year-old boy who fatally shot himself accidentally with a gun owned by his uncle was released Tuesday.

Ryder Rozier had been at the home of Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper Ian Rozier, 37, near the town of Guthrie, Okla., around noon on Saturday when he found a loaded gun in his uncle’s bedroom.

The firearm, which was one of Ian Rozier’s private guns, went off after Ryder picked it up. According to the state medical examiner’s office, the boy died at the scene due to an accidental gunshot wound to the head.

The tragedy occurred just one day after 20-year-old Adam Lanza carried out a shooting rampage with his mother’s firearms, leaving 27 people, including 20 children, dead

3-year-old in Oklahoma fatally shoots himself in accident after finding his state trooper uncle's loaded gun

Ryder Rozier, 3, fatally shot himself accidentally on Saturday after finding a loaded firearm at his uncle’s home. His uncle, Ian Rozier, had several guns in his house near Guthrie, Okla.

The identity of a 3-year-old boy who fatally shot himself accidentally with a gun owned by his uncle was released Tuesday.

Ryder Rozier had been at the home of Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper Ian Rozier, 37, near the town of Guthrie, Okla., around noon on Saturday when he found a loaded gun in his uncle’s bedroom.

The firearm, which was one of Ian Rozier’s private guns, went off after Ryder picked it up. According to the state medical examiner’s office, the boy died at the scene due to an accidental gunshot wound to the head.

The tragedy occurred just one day after 20-year-old Adam Lanza carried out a shooting rampage with his mother’s firearms, leaving 27 people, including 20 children, dead

Keep in mind, this was the gun of a state trooper. If we can't trust policemen to practice gun safety, why are we trusting the average idiot gun nut?

Keep in mind, this was the gun of a state trooper. If we can't trust policemen to practice gun safety, why are we trusting the average idiot gun nut?

Everyone's practices perfect gun safety until accidents happen

Back