• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

scooter, as a Republican are you contacting Republicans to get them to change their stances on guns? Are you voting against Republicans who don’t vote for sensible gun laws?

It is really hard for a parent to accept the reality that their kid might be dangerous.

True but it’s very irresponsible for a parent to have guns in the house if there’s even a chance of that reality.

scooter, as a Republican are you contacting Republicans to get them to change their stances on guns? Are you voting against Republicans who don’t vote for sensible gun laws?

I do preach sensible gun control laws when I can and do use it as one factor in analyzing candidates - my point was that you can't say I have to stop being a conservative republican or I'm the problem. You can't boil things down so simply, no matter how much you may want to.

True but it’s very irresponsible for a parent to have [unsecured] guns in the house if there’s even a chance of that reality.

FIFY. It is pretty unrealistic to expect any parent to recognize any chance of their kid being a mass killer - it is just not going to happen unless the kid makes it dead obvious by threatening exactly that. But parents should ALWAYS have their guns secured away from their kids.

I don't get the point of wanting secured firearms. What good are they if they take a long time to access if you need them given presumably the threat is coming unexpectedly and you're already at a disadvantage from a time perspective?

I don't get the point of wanting secured firearms. What good are they if they take a long time to access if you need them given presumably the threat is coming unexpectedly and you're already at a disadvantage from a time perspective?

exactly

Faith not fear!

FIFY. It is pretty unrealistic to expect any parent to recognize any chance of their kid being a mass killer - it is just not going to happen unless the kid makes it dead obvious by threatening exactly that. But parents should ALWAYS have their guns secured away from their kids.

This is not really true. As a parent of a child with mental health issues, I’m a member of several on-line support groups and there are plenty of us who are aware of the risks and make choices accordingly.

As long as politicians keep taking that sweet sweet nra and pro-unfettered gun access law money our children will continue to die when we send them to the one place outside the home they should feel safe.

You can post all you want on the internet about all these great gun control measures you think we need, but until you start voting against Republicans and any politician that is not for gun control, you are complicit.

I was going to respond to this by pointing out that, by this logic, anyone who votes for a Dem has the blood of the 850,000 or so aborted fetuses that occur in the US every year on their hands, but then I remembered that Dems don’t actually have a moral compass, so that observation doesn’t quite have the same punch.

I was going to respond to this by pointing out that, by this logic, anyone who votes for a Dem has the blood of the 850,000 or so aborted fetuses that occur in the US every year on their hands, but then I remembered that Dems don’t actually have a moral compass, so that observation doesn’t quite have the same punch.

Let's set aside the fact that democrats have not actually done anything to protect abortion rights in the last 40 years except hope that the judges keep living. Acknowledging that, sure I accept the responsibility of supporting the evacuation of unwanted blood and other tissues from 850,000 uteruses per year. I think legal and safe abortion solves a lot more problems than is creates.

the exercise of personal rights on such a staggering scale really freaks out conservatives

The Dem point of view is logically and morally consistent, whereas the Pub point of view is not. Dems support living individuals: pro-choice, anti death penalty, and anti gun violence. Pubs support killing living individuals (death penalty, gun violence) but not fetuses.

fucking stupid logic...based on that everyone killed will a gun in the US is the responsibility of the GOP. Everyone killed by C-19 by continuing their anti-vaccine or making it seem like a Dem ploy (joke or not real). Everyone killed Afghanistan (the W fake war), etc., etc..

see how stupid you sound? you act like there has never been a republican that has had an abortion, you damn well know that in not correct.

fucking stupid logic...based on that everyone killed will a gun in the US is the responsibility of the GOP. Everyone killed by C-19 by continuing their anti-vaccine or making it seem like a Dem ploy (joke or not real). Everyone killed Afghanistan (the W fake war), etc., etc..

see how stupid you sound? you act like there has never been a republican that has had an abortion, you damn well know that in not correct.

But that is exactly the logic that was used to attack me. Simply admitting to being a Republican makes me personally responsible for the gun issues in this country. That is what people took from my post - instead of discussing the pros and cons of my suggestions.

Let's set aside the fact that democrats have not actually done anything to protect abortion rights in the last 40 years except hope that the judges keep living. Acknowledging that, sure I accept the responsibility of supporting the evacuation of unwanted blood and other tissues from 850,000 uteruses per year. I think legal and safe abortion solves a lot more problems than is creates.

"unwanted blood and other tissues"? That is some sick rationalization right there, I'm sorry.

Here’s a good segue back to our main topic:

Back