• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

He'd be alive if only he had a gun.

He and his parent's must not have known about the awesome lifestyle of the firearm carrier. Doesn't this sound like a great way to go through life:

Combat mindset and the Cooper color code
The most important means of surviving a lethal confrontation, according to Cooper, is neither the weapon nor the martial skills. The primary tool is the combat mindset, set forth in his book, Principles of Personal Defense.[7]

The color code, as originally introduced by Jeff Cooper, had nothing to do with tactical situations or alertness levels, but rather with one's state of mind. As taught by Cooper, it relates to the degree of peril you are willing to do something about and which allows you to move from one level of mindset to another to enable you to properly handle a given situation. Cooper did not claim to have invented anything in particular with the color code, but he was apparently the first to use it as an indication of mental state.[8]

The following is from The Carry Book: Minnesota Edition, 2011:[9]

White: Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow: Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."

Orange: Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red: Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. "If 'X' happens I will shoot that person" — 'X' has happened, the fight is on.

millions of voters would prefer to live their life like this than vote to reduce the number of guns out there. insanity

Why does there continue to be so much gun violence in Chicago when the city has relatively tight gun control laws and Illinois is one of a handful of states to require a license to purchase a gun?

but CHICAGO!!!!! :willynilly:

Angus checked his GOP talking points before replying again. That false equivalency has been addressed ad nauseum on this board. Do better silly man

Why does there continue to be so much gun violence in Chicago when the city has relatively tight gun control laws and Illinois is one of a handful of states to require a license to purchase a gun?

what do YOU think should be done? clearly these Democrat-led positions aren't working. what's the Republican fix?

Somebody needs to watch the vice episode of how relaxed southern state gun laws like in Georgia result in lots of dumb people having guns, said dumb people leave their guns unattended in things like cars, guns stolen and sent to other states for hefty profit.

Are you saying the gun laws need to be implemented on a federal level instead of local? Finally, something we can agree on.

Somebody needs to watch the vice episode of how relaxed southern state gun laws like in Georgia result in lots of dumb people having guns, said dumb people leave their guns unattended in things like cars, guns stolen and sent to other states for hefty profit.

So this was part of the rational Bill Lee used for the TN permit-less carry law I've posted on here a few times. Now people won't leave their guns in their cars just because they don't have their permit. They can carry them all the time, thus cutting back on gun theft. I'm not even joking.

This can't be a serious question at this point, can it? There have been so many detailed reports published on where the guns in Chicago come from - 60% come from outside of Illinois.

Right wingers continue to be surprised that strict gun laws do not include customs agents at the Indiana state line.

what do YOU think should be done? clearly these Democrat-led positions aren't working. what's the Republican fix?

Fix? Republicans don't think there is a problem. And we all know pubs would never waste time passing laws to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

This can't be a serious question at this point, can it? There have been so many detailed reports published on where the guns in Chicago come from - 60% come from outside of Illinois.

Thank you for proving my point - Even in a city and state with strict gun control laws... 40% come from Chicago or the state of Illinois.

More laws are not the answer because criminals aren't following laws to begin with. Much less gun control laws.

The focus should be on the lack of economic opportunities which drive the cycles of crime and poverty. In the specific case of Chicago, we are now approaching close to 100 years of failed Democratic party policies and leadership which result in the limited economic opportunities.

Last edited:
Thank you for proving my point - Even in a city and state with strict gun control laws... 40% come from Chicago or the state of Illinois.

More laws are not the answer because criminals aren't following laws to begin with. Much less gun control laws.

The focus should be on the lack of economic opportunities which drive the cycles of crime and poverty. In the specific case of Chicago, we are now approaching close to 100 years of failed Democratic party policies and leadership which result in the limited economic opportunities.

you have a lazy susan of Tucker Carlson responses on your desk

aren't those 40% of guns are the "good guys with guns" who are so helpful in mass shootings of little kids at school?

not one democrat/liberal is making a binary choice between economic policy and gun control policy. They both need to happen, but you and your party need the gun control wedge to hold your grasp on the God, guns, and glory voters. We all know it on both sides don't play dumb. National gun control legislation would reduce gun deaths nationally, this is not disputed by anyone except the gun nuts and the misinformation peddlers you are parroting

so the solution in Chicago is more economic opportunities but also repealing unnecessary gun control measures since they're useless

None of the guns come from Chicago, and no, this doesn't prove your point. As was mentioned earlier, strict federal gun laws would prevent guns coming into the city from other states. The states with the most strict gun laws have the lowest rates of gun violence (see CA, NY, MA, etc). If lax gun laws and/or increased numbers of guns made countries safer, the US would have very little gun violence. That is obviously nowhere near the case.

I do agree that addressing poverty and income inequality is very important, but that should also go along with universal background checks for gun purchases, limitations on magazine capacity, and gun permit requirements.

Back