• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I’d bet my life savings that gun violence would go down if the federal minimum wage was $15/hour

I’d bet my life savings that gun violence would go down if the federal minimum wage was $15/hour

It probably would. But a much, much better bet would be closing background check loopholes, magazine limits, red flag laws, etc.

Every country has mental health issues, the internet, some social support issues, low wage jobs, etc. But the US is off the charts in guns per capita and mass shootings. The next closest country, Yemen, has fewer than half the guns per capita of the US.

It probably would. But a much, much better bet would be closing background check loopholes, magazine limits, red flag laws, etc.

Every country has mental health issues, the internet, some social support issues, low wage jobs, etc. But the US is off the charts in guns per capita and mass shootings. The next closest country, Yemen, has fewer than half the guns per capita of the US.

BIG GUN and BIG FINANCE work in tandem to gang rape America so good luck with that

I’d replace Donald Trump with Barack Obama in this part.

“Donald Trump’s ascendance was a key marker of the force of white racial panic; from the moment he launched his candidacy”

I’d replace Donald Trump with Barack Obama in this part.

“Donald Trump’s ascendance was a key marker of the force of white racial panic; from the moment he launched his candidacy”

I had essentially that exact same thought. If white people think they are being replaced and this is a threat to them, then Obama becoming president had to really freak them out.

Eight years of Obama primed them for white nationalist rhetoric. Conservatives who thought they weren’t “racist” and may have even been open to Obama got eight years of birther nonsense and coverage that treated him as an outsider taking over “our” country.

I wonder if the Buffalo shooter had a sweet Punisher skull sticker on the back glass of his truck. Maybe an “American Infidel” or a “Molon Labe” Spartan Helmet.

I wonder if the Buffalo shooter had a sweet Punisher skull sticker on the back glass of his truck. Maybe an “American Infidel” or a “Molon Labe” Spartan Helmet.

yeah, i saw a cool "Q with a Punisher inside" sticker on a black, jacked-up, Dodge Ram this weekend

The House GOP leadership has enabled white nationalism, white supremacy, and anti-semitism. History has taught us that what begins with words ends in far worse. GOP leaders must renounce and reject these views and those who hold them. - Liz Cheney

Why not do both? Raise the minimum wage and set some limits on gun ownership?

With some of these mass shootings, it's way beyond limiting guns and raising minimum wage though. The Buffalo shooting was just plain Nazism, like the Dylan Roof shooting and all the Synagogue shootings and others. Nazism has taken hold of about 15%-20% of the country and about 80% of one of our two major political parties. Getting rid of Nazism is harder than a few regulatory policy tweaks.

That's where voting rights and getting rid of gerrymandering come into play. Nazis have an outsized influence on our governments.

That's where voting rights and getting rid of gerrymandering come into play. Nazis have an outsized influence on our governments.

Yeah, but that's not going to be enough, and it's probably too late. We are at the point where ~70% of votes need to be for Dems just to get a simple majority in legislatures in many counties and states to undo the Nazi damage to our institutions. I am not optimistic about the future.

In the case of the Buffalo tragedy, is Fox News AWOL? And why?

Shooting? What shooting?

You mean the mass shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo Saturday that left 10 people dead, and three injured? The one where 11 of the 13 victims were African American? The one where the killer posted a manifesto citing the "great replacement theory" as his motivation? The one being investigated as an act of domestic terrorism? That shooting?

We watched Fox News for an hour and a half Sunday morning, from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., curious to hear their take on this horrific event. Surely there would be something — in the inimitable Fox style. Perhaps an expert saying we shouldn't rush to judgment and call it a hate crime. Or that "woke" liberals were seizing on the event as an opportunity to take away your Second Amendment rights.

We waited and waited.

There was one reference, somewhere between 9:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. A shooting in Buffalo had occurred, Fox told its viewers, and people were dead. But no elaboration, no commentary, no on-the-scene interviews. Perhaps 15 seconds, all told.

Among the topics that were deemed important enough to merit air time: the baby formula shortage, Biden's "two impeachable offenses," the criminal case against a Clinton-aligned lawyer, Michael Sussmann, the Steele dossier — remember the Steele dossier? — and something about chickens in Times Square.

Fox News has the right to its own agenda, just as MSNBC or CNN or CBS has the right to theirs. Everyone spins in their own way. Everyone orders the news based on their conception of what is news.

Yeah, but that's not going to be enough, and it's probably too late. We are at the point where ~70% of votes need to be for Dems just to get a simple majority in legislatures in many counties and states to undo the Nazi damage to our institutions. I am not optimistic about the future.

Can't disagree with that.

Back