• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

How fucking stupid is the notion that owning guns mean you are protecting your children or grandchildren?

If you truly want to protect your children or grandchildren, you:

1) vote to outlaw ALL fucking guns,
2) buy an alarm system for your house and maybe a big dog,
3) get your kids vaccinated and vote to require vaccinations,
4) get them off social media or very limited,
5) teach them healthy nutrition and exercise
6) educate them in history/humanities and science

Having guns around to "protect" yourself or someone is an illusion of security sold to them by gun manufacturers and myths about the wild west.

Yep

unless you live in Ukraine. Then you should add to the list getting your loved ones out of a war zone.

Fixed

to MDMH I'd say it's a pretty gigantic waste of time and money to go to Wake Forest University and come out of it being anti-elitist.

Not getting into my backstory again, but I think your opinion is sad and ridiculous, and far more descriptive of a misguided Wake Forest alum than Wake Forest itself.

Wow.

The report also reveals for the first time that the overwhelming majority of responders were federal and state law enforcement: 149 were U.S. Border Patrol, and 91 were state police — whose responsibilities include responding to “mass attacks in public places.” There were 25 Uvalde police officers and 16 sheriff’s deputies. Arredondo’s school police force accounted for five of the officers on the scene. The rest of the force was made up of neighboring county law enforcement, U.S. Marshals, and federal Drug Enforcement Agency officers.

I had no idea there were that many LEOs on site. I thought it was like 40-50.

The question of locked doors came into play again when law enforcement arrived and assumed they couldn’t break down the doors of the classroom to reach the gunman.

They would fumble for several minutes in search of a key, and other equipment to break down the door, that is now believed to have been unlocked the entire time.

The search for the unnecessary key was complicated by the fact that the school, which first opened in 1955, had different sets of master keys for different doors. Lt. Mike Hernandez of the district police department said he carried 50 keys to various campus buildings, though sometimes he had to jiggle them to turn locks. On other occasions, staff changed locks without his knowledge. During the shooting, other officers attempted without success to use Hernandez’s set to find a suitable master key for the wing of the school where the shooter was.

It would be funny if it wasn't tragic. This is a story about people who live with and circumvent security theater that makes their lives inconvenient in hopes that it stops a tragic incident but it didn't.

Additionally, some faculty and staff did not initially take the intruder alert seriously because they were desensitized to the alert system which often was triggered by frequent immigration-related police pursuits. Uvalde is about 50 miles east of Mexico and sits at the intersection of major highways from the border cities of Del Rio and Eagle Pass. Police described a recent increase in “bailouts,” where officers chase a vehicle containing suspected undocumented migrants, who then purposely crash and scatter to avoid apprehension. School district officials told the committee there had been 47 “secure” or “lockdown” events since February 2022. Around 90% of those had been because of bailouts.

There has never been an incident of school violence related to the bailouts.

“The series of bailout-related alerts led teachers and administrators to respond to all alerts with less urgency—when they heard the sound of an alert, many assumed that it was another bailout,” the report states.

So it seems as if they use the bailout-alerts to scare people into supporting border patrol, but people have become desensitized to it. 47 lockdown incidents from February to May is like one every other school day.

But not all teachers received the alert about the gunman immediately, thanks in part to a poor wireless internet signal that made it difficult to send out the alert and the fact that many teachers didn’t have their phones or had them off at the moment they received it.

Principal Mandy Gutierrez never attempted to communicate the lockdown over the school’s intercom system.

Unreal. That's a basic responsibility that doesn't even require training to do.

It plays right into their fantasy land. It wouldn’t matter if 100 people died as long as they get to fulfill the gun fantasy of pew pew pew.

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/icon-parks-new-target-blasting-game-draws-criticism-online/
ICON Park, located along International Drive in Orlando, announced Thursday it would be adding a game called Bullseye Blast to The Wheel ride – the park’s 400-foot tall Ferris wheel. The game is described as a competition for riders to use laser blasters to hit targets placed around Orlando that can be seen from the ride.
“As their air-conditioned capsule ascends above Orlando, players scan the rooftops of ICON Park to find 50 strategically pre-selected targets with varying degrees of difficulty,” park officials said in a news release. “To get the highest score possible, players need to hit as many of these as possible with their laser blaster during the 18-minute ride.”
According to the release posted on ICON Park’s website, each player will be given a blaster that has a scope and an infrared beam to “assist them when aiming at the targets.”

In addition to the critical tweets calling the new game “insensitive” and referring to it as a “mass shooting simulator,” some users asked “how much more bad press” the park needs, referring to a teenage boy’s death at the complex earlier this year.

It plays right into their fantasy land. It wouldn’t matter if 100 people died as long as they get to fulfill the gun fantasy of pew pew pew.

I mean I feel like this is a good time to compartmentalize. It’s great this kid stopped an active shooter. It would of be better if we had laws in place to prevent rubes walking around like Clint Eastwood with diabetes and a virginity complex.

The idea you can be in high-school and buy an AR-15 but have to be 21 or something to by a pack of smokes blows my mind. One of those products only kills the user.

yeah I feel like 25 should be the age for an AR-15. Way too many of these guys are just immature. But then again the dude in Vegas was like 60. Better to just not have AR-15's out there.

yeah I feel like 25 should be the age for an AR-15. Way too many of these guys are just immature. But then again the dude in Vegas was like 60. Better to just not have AR-15's out there.

It’s interesting to me with these discussions how powerful small sample size details are. The nra had successful set up this all or nothing conversation. If regulation wouldn’t stop all shootings it’s useless. Could you imagine in Vegas, as horrific as it was, was our only mass shooting of the last decade?

Back