Page 376 of 380 FirstFirst ... 276326366371372373374375376377378379380 LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,520 of 7593

Thread: Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

  1. #7501
    Verdict is in for the trial of the Arbery killers.

  2. #7502
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post
    Verdict is in for the trial of the Arbery killers.
    Son guilty on all counts. Dad and other guy guilty on most counts.

  3. #7503
    Looks like that American Judicial System that “rarely” gets it right, got it right this time.
    A victory for ALL sensible and reasonable people, no matter their politics.

  4. #7504
    I've followed this case for a while, and glad to see justice served against the shooter. Seems like the dad, and especially the neighbor, are getting excessively hammered, but they're likely shitty people, so whatever.

    Honestly, without the neighbor's video taping of the incident and cooperation with the police, all 3 Bubba's likely aren't convicted of anything. Yet he faces life in prison for felony murder. The dad seems like a total racist asshole and was in the shooter's truck with a gun and told the victim he was going to blow his fucking head off, so fuck him.

  5. #7505
    Important to remember these guys would be free if it weren’t for pressure from protestors and civil rights groups. I don’t know what’s happening with the former prosecutors there but they need to face justice too.

  6. #7506

    Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JManslow View Post
    Important to remember these guys would be free if it weren’t for pressure from protestors and civil rights groups. I don’t know what’s happening with the former prosecutors there but they need to face justice too.
    The original DA who covered this up because the dad worked for their office was indicted.

  7. #7507
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    125,913
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    I've followed this case for a while, and glad to see justice served against the shooter. Seems like the dad, and especially the neighbor, are getting excessively hammered, but they're likely shitty people, so whatever.

    Honestly, without the neighbor's video taping of the incident and cooperation with the police, all 3 Bubba's likely aren't convicted of anything. Yet he faces life in prison for felony murder. The dad seems like a total racist asshole and was in the shooter's truck with a gun and told the victim he was going to blow his fucking head off, so fuck him.
    Yep. This was Zimmerman killing Trayvon Martin all over again. There was just video. Without the video, Arbery is a “thug” not a guy out for a jog.

  8. #7508

  9. #7509
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    125,913
    “The three men were not even arrested until May. The district attorney, Jackie Johnson, recused herself from the case because the elder McMichael had been an investigator in her office. Johnson was later indicted for her actions in the Arbery case—allegedly preventing police from arresting the three men for Arbery’s killing. Video of the aftermath obtained by The Washington Post showed that Arbery was still alive when police first arrived but that “officers did not immediately tend to him and showed little skepticism of the suspects’ accounts on the scene,” the Post reported.

    ….

    If it sounds ridiculous to say that chasing someone down while armed is an act of self-defense, and then to claim you had to shoot the person you were chasing, because they tried to defend themselves, recall that this was precisely the conclusion the local authorities initially reached.

    The jury ultimately found the defense’s arguments unpersuasive, and the evidence against the defendants overwhelming. But had it been up to the folks in charge in Glynn County, the jury never would have seen that evidence. To say the system worked in this case is like saying your car made it home—after your entire family had to get out and push it miles down a dirt road.”

    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...guilty/620817/

    We got lucky this time. If there’s no video next time racist assholes kill a black boy or black man, you can bet Junebug, jhmd, and their other allies will fight for their right to kill.

  10. #7510
    A more reasoned take might be that the state should be required to produce sufficient evidence to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime has been committed. That evidence may be lacking for a variety of reasons in certain situations and therefore people who probably committed a crime may go free. While not perfect, do we really want to make it easier for convictions to be secured?

  11. #7511
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    125,913
    Quote Originally Posted by deac29 View Post
    A more reasoned take might be that the state should be required to produce sufficient evidence to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime has been committed. That evidence may be lacking for a variety of reasons in certain situations and therefore people who probably committed a crime may go free. While not perfect, do we really want to make it easier for convictions to be secured?
    The massive disparities in convictions based on the races of the victims and perpetrators suggest otherwise. It is easy for convictions to be secured against Black perpetrators but not in crimes against Black victims. A more reasoned take might consider that.

  12. #7512
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    The massive disparities in convictions based on the races of the victims and perpetrators suggest otherwise. It is easy for convictions to be secured against Black perpetrators but not in crimes against Black victims. A more reasoned take might consider that.
    Link? I have no reason to not believe this "massive disparity" but I would be interested in the data.

  13. #7513
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    125,913
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Kyle Rittenhouse is most certainly a winner here. No question there. This is a huge win for conservatives as well. I posted this a few days ago.
    There are plenty of stats out there comparing rates of conviction by the race of the victim and accused.

  14. #7514
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    The massive disparities in convictions based on the races of the victims and perpetrators suggest otherwise. It is easy for convictions to be secured against Black perpetrators but not in crimes against Black victims. A more reasoned take might consider that.
    Your point is well taken and indisputable. However, I do not believe making it easier for the State to secure convictions will help that data.

    That was what I was alluding to earlier in the thread. I get people’s issues with some of these self-defense cases that get in the news, but at the end of the day, I don’t see how it can be changed without either eviscerating the ability of someone to defend themselves from a real threat, or giving the State far too much power in their ability to convict someone of a crime.

    There are ancillary things that can be done with how jury selection takes place to make sure juries are more representative, but that’s a separate discussion.

  15. #7515
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    125,913
    It’s not about making it easier for the State to get convictions. That’s a lawyer perspective.

    It’s about making it harder for people to get away with murder by introducing common sense.

    For example, it doesn’t make sense for someone to claim self-defense by saying someone could have taken their gun.

  16. #7516
    Yeah, changing the law because of the disparities between white and black convictions isn't going to help anyone when old white racists are still in charge of applying those laws.

  17. #7517
    It’s time for you moderates to accept that we are beyond common sense. The only way to change these laws is to make things very uncomfortable for the families of the legislators who passed them. Find the schools where they send their kids and the workplaces of their families and biggest donors. Start holding left leaning open carry rallies outside. Shit will change quickly. Dems and progressives can no longer afford to play nice. It’s time to make things very ugly.

  18. #7518

    Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

    Or we can just sit on our hands and continue our descent into a second world fascist oligarchy. The investor class shitlibs are probably cool with that though, they’ll fine. Hell I’ll be fine. But I actually care about people less fortunate and more marginalized than myself.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; 11-25-2021 at 08:59 PM.

  19. #7519
    Wow; this thread/Boards never fail to amaze me.

  20. #7520
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsPop View Post
    Wow; this thread/Boards never fail to amaze me.
    What’s your solution Pop?

    Do nothing and remind those uppity blacks and youths to know their place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •