• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I get the sentiment, but damn, this may point to some deep-seeded issues. I think a simple Cookout Tray would make me much happier.

that's funny. You watched the video and became hungry, I watched the video and became enraged. I'll take my issues over yours any day fatty

that's funny. You watched the video and became hungry, I watched the video and became enraged. I'll take my issues over yours any day fatty

I was sick to my stomach when I watched the video. It did not make me want to beat anyone to death with a golf club, though. Perhaps I should have used a more blatant example of something that would bring me happiness, like the birth of a child or a loved one beating cancer.

In general, you seem like the kind of guy who might go into a local NRA office or GOP campaign headquarters one day and start knifing folks. Maybe a chemical attack.

Anyways, glad justice is at least beginning to be served here (by the law, not a pscyho).

It would could 90s gun-Biden. He got rid of assault rifle sales for a decades, kept spousal abusers from getting guns, supported an even stronger Brady Bill and the Violence Against Women Act. I'm not sure it will happen, but we can hope.

I was sick to my stomach when I watched the video. It did not make me want to beat anyone to death with a golf club, though. Perhaps I should have used a more blatant example of something that would bring me happiness, like the birth of a child or a loved one beating cancer.

In general, you seem like the kind of guy who might go into a local NRA office or GOP campaign headquarters one day and start knifing folks. Maybe a chemical attack.

Anyways, glad justice is at least beginning to be served here (by the law, not a pscyho).

Yeah you’re probably right, you might want to stay away from NRA offices and GOP offices in the greater Chicago area.

Meanwhile, I still want to beat those redneck assholes to death. I really do, man. Chasing and trapping an unarmed man, blasting him in the head with a shotgun, and then having no remorse and pretending to be innocent and invoking your law enforcement credentials....nah fuck those guys. Enjoy your burger

I get the sentiment, but damn, this may point to some deep-seeded issues. I think a simple Cookout Tray would make me much happier.

I guess I misread this when I thought tigerswood was saying he wouldn't waste a 7-iron on these guys and would prefer beating them with a physical tray from Cookout.

The first time seeing the video, this is so sad, needless, and reprehensible. IMO, the guy is clearly out for a run and just tries to jog around the truck when they attacked him. No doubt they should be indicted and jailed for cold-blooded murder. Would they have done this if the jogger was white?? I immediately thought of Trayvon Martin only hoping for better justice in this case.

So glad that the video finally surfaced and that these two assholes will be locked up for the rest of their lives.

I guess I misread this when I thought tigerswood was saying he wouldn't waste a 7-iron on these guys and would prefer beating them with a physical tray from Cookout.

I’m just a lover not a fighter. Watching “Grass is Greener” on Netflix and enjoying my weed pen. Man, I knew drug laws were dumb and racist AF, but holy hell Nixon and Reagan were bad.

Yep. Conservatives have spent the last 50 years mastering ways to oppress people they don't like without being too obvious about it.

With respect to Arbery, here's a short read from a friend of mine about his research on racial differences in physical activity and how it relates to this incident.
https://theconversation.com/the-kil...ghts-the-danger-of-jogging-while-black-138085

In 2017, I published a study on physical activity – focusing on where and how people exercise, and breaking this down by race and gender. I surveyed nearly 500 middle-class black and white professionals around the United States. The research also included in-depth interviews, focus groups and observations of public spaces in cities with varying racial and class compositions including Oakland and Rancho Cucamonga, California; Brentwood, Tennessee; Bowie, Maryland; and Forest Park, Ohio.
I found that race and place significantly inform where people engage in physical activity: White men, white women and black women living in predominately white areas were significantly more likely to engage in physical activity in their neighborhoods. Black men living in predominately white neighborhoods, however, were far less likely to engage in physical activity in the areas surrounding their own homes.
[h=2]Good neighbors?[/h] Black men I interviewed who had jogged in white neighborhoods where they lived reported incidents of the police being called on them, neighbors scurrying to the other side of the street as they approached, receiving disgruntled looks and seeing the shutting of screen doors as they passed. Similar experiences have been documented in public places like stores, restaurants and coffee shops.

[h=2]Signaling or survival?[/h] Some black men attempt to make themselves less threatening. When it comes to jogging in white neighborhoods, some of the black men I spoke to wore alumnus T-shirts, carried I.D., waved and smiled at neighbors, and ran in well-lit, populated areas.
This is hardly surprising. Black men do this at work by thinking consciously about their attire, tone and pitch of voice, and behavioral mannerisms. Even during the COVID-19 pandemic, many black men are going to great lengths to reduce criminalization by staying in the house, wearing colorful masks and even forgoing masks altogether.
Sociologists call it a signaling process. Black men call it survival.

A little humor from our Aussie friends:

NRA Accidentally Forgets To Rise Up Against Tyrannical Government
https://www.theshovel.com.au/2020/0...ets-to-rise-up-against-tyrannical-government/

An embarrassed National Rifle Association says it totally forgot to do the one thing it has been saying for years it is solely there to do.
“Our whole reason for lobbying for looser gun laws and amassing huge personal arsenals of weapons these past years was so that we could ensure the security of a free state and protect the people from an oppressive government. And then it actually happened, and the whole rising up against a tyrannical government thing just totally slipped our minds, which is a little embarrassing,” a sheepish NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said.
He said the morale around the NRA has been pretty low. “The guys feel pretty silly. We had our well regulated militia stocked up and ready to go, just waiting for the moment when the Government would turn on its own people. And then the government started shooting protesters and rolling tanks down the street, and we were like ‘guys this is the one we’ve been talking about, let’s go!’. But then something else came up and we forgot to do it. Damnit!”.
Observers were shocked that the NRA had missed their opportunity to defend their country. “I can’t believe it,” one analyst said. “It’s almost as if they weren’t worried about the government at all. It’s as if they were actually just scared of black people”.

Posted from the Fascism thread:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/21/us/chicago-funeral-home-shooting/index.html

On Monday in Chicago, 25 people were shot, and over the weekend, 63 were shot and at least 12 people were killed.
As of July 19, the latest date for which Chicago crime data is available, murders are up 51% in 2020 compared to the same point in 2019, increasing from 275 to 414. Shooting incidents are up 47%, jumping from 1,110 at this point in 2019 to 1,637 so far this year.
Gun violence has particularly increased in the past month. In the 28 days before July 19, there were 116 murders in Chicago, nearly triple during the same period in 2019, according to Chicago Police.

Chicago already got it. Hope this doesn't escalate to more violence.

Back