• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Match these numbers with gun ownership.

gunsq.jpg

Gun ownership % is as of 2007 and was found here (sourced from USACarry.com): http://usliberals.about.com/od/Elec...s-As-Percentage-Of-Each-States-Population.htm

education required to be a police officer in NC depends on the jurisdiction. I know for a fact of some jurisdictions that require 4 year degrees to become an officer.

ok what i said was:

in NC you're not even required to have a 2 year degree to become a cop

now unless the requirements have changed in the past several years, North Carolina's State Troopers (the state's police) are NOT required to have any degree whatsoever. Now you've pointed out that some counties and municipalities require their officers to have 4 year degrees--I never said they didn't. I said in NC you don't need a degree to become a cop, which is true.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by "more concerned with "collecting taxes."

What I meant was historically tax collectors are what we think of as "executive branch" personnel. Police officers who write speeding tickets all day are forcing a transfer payment from your pocket to the government's. It's not about safety, although that is a nice byproduct, it's a revenue thing first and foremost. They need this revenue, here is an example of how it is broken up:

Citation distribution for speeding 11-15 mph above posted limit = $175.30

Court support services fee $68
Base deposit $30
Court costs $25
Justice information fee $21.50
Crime lab and drug assessment fee $13
Jail assessment fee $10
Penalty assessment $7.80

source: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/statepatrol/enforcement/citation-fees.htm#example

now every state does it different, but the money goes to a host of things once it leaves the state's and cities (they both get a cut) treasury, all of which are other government agencies. hence it's a defacto form of tax collection. Which is what Bym already said.

I will address the other stuff later, about why cops are by their very nature reactionary, and why they (speaking in generalities) usually are not independent thinkers, or even all that bright to begin with.

Last edited:
...Cops do way more than traffic violations. Of 900ish officers, only 50ish are traffic cops (in PDX) and of the tickets they write, the Police Bureau sees zero of it.

ETA: as for your original statement, I don't disagree that cops are a reactive force when it comes to crime, though their presence is a deterrent in and of itself. That said, the rest of your statement is pretty...? Bad? Negatively generalizing?

Last edited:
sure, but i was talking about the ones who are tasked with writing traffic tickets.

Police officers who write speeding tickets all day...

and whether the department actually sees any of it is not relevant.

also, you know at any given time most of the members of any government's executive branch are not engaged in tax collection. In a war, if more than 10% of your forces are in active combat for any sustained length of time you're likely to have problems. but does that mean that since 90% of the army isn't fighting they are not in the business of killing?

Last edited:
sure, but i was talking about the ones who are tasked with writing traffic tickets.

and whether the department actually sees any of it is not relevant. you know at any given time >99% of the roman army was not involved in tax collection either.

right, which is a pretty small percentage of actual officers in a police force.
and it IS relevant, because there are no gains for them in writing the tickets. municipal cop writes ticket, violator goes to county court. municipal force sees no $$ gains from the rest of the proceedings.

I can assure you, writing tickets is not a profit business for police bureaus.

well, then we apparently have different positions, but just to note i didn't say it was for a profit. I used the words "transfer payment" i believe. nor did I say they themselves actually got the money.

not worth arguing because different places approach it differently. irrelevant to the convo at hand anyway.

Very, very irrelevant to the thread. Start a new thread if you want to talk about how you think all cops are out to get you.

agreed, although someone had asked me about my experiences with police and how I know they are not critical thinkers (again speaking in generalities). If that person still wants to know i'd be happy to continue the discussion about that with that person (in a different thread). I have worked side by side with cops as security when I was in college. I know a childhood friend who is a HP officer, I know two NCSU officers, an RPD officer, and a former one.

and no I don't think all cops are out to get me, but if you exercise your rights they generally want to arrest you because most see anything other than complete submission as insubordination. Like I said, cops wanna arrest people who are rude to them mainly, even if they were the ones who were rude first.

Last edited:
how does this tie into gun violence? i forget.

right, which is a pretty small percentage of actual officers in a police force.
and it IS relevant, because there are no gains for them in writing the tickets. municipal cop writes ticket, violator goes to county court. municipal force sees no $$ gains from the rest of the proceedings.

Exactly, it goes to motive. The vast majority of cops don't want to sit on the side of the road waiting for speeders.

Why don't we take it a step further and pull a dick move like that newspaper did in New York and put an interactive map of the United States of all the gunowners so we can see where they live.

How else are the bad guys going to know who not to rob?

It'd be great if those stories were as numerous as the ones where kids accidentally shoot themselves and die

too bad she was not able to use an assault rifle. then that motherfucker would be dead!!!!

Innocent people must not be prevented from defending themselves even if some lunatic kills people with a gun instead of killing them with some other item.

Had she had this gun registered and licensed, does that change this story? She had a revolver, not an AR.

Back