• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Someone else used their military training against Americans.

And we collectively shrug.

I haven't seen anything that suggested he implemented any tactical training. I also could have missed it. Is there any statistical correlation between military service and mass shooters?

He didn't learn how to use a gun in the military?

Given that veterans make up a very small number of the population and a notable number of mass shooters, yeah, there's probably a statistical correlation even after controlling for other factors.

There are a host of issues our veterans face that don't get addressed. Plenty are killing themselves at a ridiculous rate and then you have those turning weapons against Americans.

He didn't learn how to use a gun in the military?

Given that veterans make up a very small number of the population and a notable number of mass shooters, yeah, there's probably a statistical correlation even after controlling for other factors.

There are a host of issues our veterans face that don't get addressed. Plenty are killing themselves at a ridiculous rate and then you have those turning weapons against Americans.

Using/learning to use a gun isn't specifically military training. Anyone anywhere can learn those skills. Now if he had used some sort of military or tactical maneuvering, I'd agree. While you "shoot guns" in the military, it's not much different than what goes on millions of times a day at a public range. Military training would indicate something more than aiming and firing.

you can learn how to shoot outside law enforcement and the military but the military in particular teaches you how to evaluate targets and shoot at people while being shot at, specifically.

worth noting the gun battle was unusually long in this instance

I think you're fighting a losing battle by arguing that a soldier can pick up a gun and just shut off his military training.

I think you're fighting a losing battle by arguing that a soldier can pick up a gun and just shut off his military training.

If anyone is an expert on fighting a losing battle... it's PhDeac.

That’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying that your assertion that the military pumps out thousands of unstable men who are a step away from the Klan or becoming a mass shooter is problematic. Besides anecdotal evidence, I haven’t seen any actual evidence that it’s true. If the evidence exists and is verifiable, I’m happy to eat crow.

Now if you want to roll this into a conversation about better mental/physical care for the vets when they leave the service, I’m all for that. The VA is not great.

The VA is doing what they’ve can with what they’ve got. The same people who love paying for war hate paying for veteran care.

As far as the first paragraph, that’s not what I said. If you don’t want me to misinterpret your disagreement with me, disagree with what I actually say.

Heard a very good point on 1A today about active shooter drills. Workplace and school shootings are often committed by disgruntled workers and students who are familiar with the active shooter protocols. They can use that knowledge to maximize casualties. I think the Parkland shooter did that.

So Republicans want to shift the focus from keeping guns out of schools to winning gun battles inside schools. Never mind that over 99.9% of school gun free zones don't experience gun violence.

Last edited:
Thank god nobody ever died from friendly fire.

Next the NRA will successfully lobby Congressional Republicans to introduce bills to arm all students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. Pistol holster accessories will be developed, and bookbags will be designed to hold semiautomatics. Any would-be school shooter will have to face down pistol-packin' Mrs. Smith and her angry mob of gun-totin' first-graders. "Honey, what did you do at school today? Oh, I blew away that bad man who was trying to shoot up the school!" That should really make our schools safe!

Back