• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Chicken Keeping Thread

i'm with racer; chickens are awesome. awesome eggs, fresh meat and they're good for your yard

Who knew Racer was a prepper?

LOL. Not really a prepper. Homesteader might be a better word. I grew up in a farming family/area, so it's part of what I am. I'm sure there's some nostalgia involved, but ultimately, I'm just not impressed with the way animals are treated or the chemicals they are treated with in our food system. Doing what I can where I can to steer clear of it.

Last edited:
Geez, guy. It was a joke. You are taking this chicken deal very seriously.

Yeah. Did you miss the part where I said "I get the joke"? I laughed. And then I used it to explain my reasons for wanting to raise a few chickens.

who takes care of your hens when you go out of town? Its hard enough for me to find folks to tend to my cats and dogs

I'm wrapping up plans for building my coop right now and thought I would start a thread to gather wisdom, ask questions, share progress, etc.

Initial plans are to build a 10x6 covered pen with a raised coop inside. Planning to make it tall enough to walk into so that cleaning/feeding/etc require less bending over. Going to use the deep litter method to limit cleaning and spread the composted litter on my garden every spring. Between that and a new worm composting setup I'm about to build, I shouldn't need to buy any soil amendments for the garden going forward.

The coop will support 8 birds, but I'm probably going to start with 4 at first and go from there. Planning to buy some Black Australorps from my buddy who raises heritage poultry for meat (Buckeyes) and eggs (Australorps). His flock are proven layers and the larger size and dark color will hopefully serve as a deterrent to the hawks in the area. If I decide I want more birds, I will probably grab some New Hampshire Reds because my grandfather raised them.

Anyone else have yard birds?

My advice is get more birds than you think you need. Predators, disease, molting and seasons take their toll. If you have room for 8, get 8.

who takes care of your hens when you go out of town? Its hard enough for me to find folks to tend to my cats and dogs

Hens take care of hens. Buy a big waterer and a big feeder, and they're good for a week.

LOL. Not really a prepper. Homesteader might be a better word. I grew up in a farming family/area, so it's part of what I am. I'm sure there's some nostalgia involved, but ultimately, I'm just not impressed with the way animals are treated or the chemicals they are treated with in our food system. Doing what I can where I can to steer clear of it.

Unacceptable pun. Take a lap.

My advice is get more birds than you think you need. Predators, disease, molting and seasons take their toll. If you have room for 8, get 8.

I have access to plenty of birds if I need a replacement. I'd rather start with a few while I get things figured out.

gonzo.jpg

Thanks goodness you'll be prepared when the police state shows up in their camo pants and shuts down all the local grocery stores.

I have access to plenty of birds if I need a replacement. I'd rather start with a few while I get things figured out.

I was certain that five chickens would have been enough for two people in our house. I was wrong (thanks, hawks/Obama). I now have close to 20, (it is a lot easier to share with my neighbors than it is to have a backyard coop and have to drive to the store to get eggs).

it's weird that people consider having chickens a prepper mentality

#cityfolk

I was certain that five chickens would have been enough for two people in our house. I was wrong (thanks, hawks/Obama). I now have close to 20, (it is a lot easier to share with my neighbors than it is to have a backyard coop and have to drive to the store to get eggs).

Don't have chickens but have friends that do, and their experience has been the opposite, ie overestimating consumption resulting in eggs piling up. Good layers will produce about an egg a day during their prime. These friends usually show up at our place with a couple dozen eggs which is why I don't have chickens of my own.

Don't have chickens but have friends that do, and their experience has been the opposite, ie overestimating consumption resulting in eggs piling up. Good layers will produce about an egg a day during their prime. These friends usually show up at our place with a couple dozen eggs which is why I don't have chickens of my own.

A good hen will lay one egg per day during her prime during the season. Most of them stomp about Thanksgiving and don't start again (at that pace) until Easter (thus the term, "Easter Egg Hunt"). So...in our case, we had five birds, one has gotten sick, and three were hit by predators (despite being cooped and placed in a run; had a hawk get into the run by placing its weight on the wire until if flexed at an unsealed seam. Came out the next day to find the hawk IN the run, and black Australorp feathers everywhere. Incidentally, that hawk was flexing Mother Nature's "Come at me, bro" look.

So...five birds quickly became one bird, who lays at a rate of about 5 a week, 30 weeks out of the year. 5 a week ain't cutting it for our family, so this year I ordered about 20 birds.

Your friends may have 30 birds, but I can assure you they're not piling up eggs on the eight birds I recommend. Of the eight birds, say he keeps seven, and of those, you get five eggs a day. Two for breakfast, per person, and one hard-boiled egg for lunch/over a dinner salad, and you're red-lining during peak season.

A good hen will lay one egg per day during her prime during the season. Most of them stomp about Thanksgiving and don't start again (at that pace) until Easter (thus the term, "Easter Egg Hunt"). So...in our case, we had five birds, one has gotten sick, and three were hit by predators (despite being cooped and placed in a run; had a hawk get into the run by placing its weight on the wire until if flexed at an unsealed seam. Came out the next day to find the hawk IN the run, and black Australorp feathers everywhere. Incidentally, that hawk was flexing Mother Nature's "Come at me, bro" look.

So...five birds quickly became one bird, who lays at a rate of about 5 a week, 30 weeks out of the year. 5 a week ain't cutting it for our family, so this year I ordered about 20 birds.

Your friends may have 30 birds, but I can assure you they're not piling up eggs on the eight birds I recommend. Of the eight birds, say he keeps seven, and of those, you get five eggs a day. Two for breakfast, per person, and one hard-boiled egg for lunch/over a dinner salad, and you're red-lining during peak season.

sounds like you need 20 birds and one of these

7000.jpg

also, ya'll eat a lot of eggs

Last edited:

How much land do you need for 20 birds? I took a class on raising chickens at the Organic Growers Conference in Asheville back in March. One of the things they stressed the most is to have enough land so you can rotate the birds when they have picked clean that part of your land.

How much land do you need for 20 birds? I took a class on raising chickens at the Organic Growers Conference in Asheville back in March. One of the things they stressed the most is to have enough land so you can rotate the birds when they have picked clean that part of your land.

Less than .15 acres.

Back