• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Chicken Keeping Thread

Anybody experiencing this yet? Fiancee works in food service and she got this from a supplier/distributor:

This means "works at Hooters", right?

I've been stockpiling defensive measures for the days you moochers come after those of us with the foresight to prepare for the upcoming Obama Egg-pocalypse. Thanks again for the Chicken-Ebola, Barry.

Bumping back to the top. I've posted on this thread a couple times and never knew it existed.

We've currently got 26 Golden Comets and 1 Delaware that should have been a Golden Comet, but the clerk at Tractor Supply was an idiot. 13 are daily layers, and the other 14 should start laying around July. We started just over a year ago with 6 hens, so they're addicting.

This summer I'm going to build a coop similar to this, and have 4 sections of Premiere 1 netting to surround the coop. I'm going to use my existing Carolina Coop inspired coop as a winter/brood coop once the x-wing is finished.

egg_mobile_5.jpg

Tomorrow I've got 30 Rainbow Ranger meat birds coming, and a few days later should have 50 Cornish Cross birds coming. We're venturing into meat birds, and intend to have turkeys ready by this Thanksgiving.

We gave up, at least for now, on chickens. We had 9 layers at one point when we lived in Alabama, but they got picked off one by one by neighborhood dogs and hawks. Right before we moved, our favorite chicken, Lulu, an Easter egger, was killed by a coopers hawk and my wife's interest in keeping chicken kind of died with her. Building a new coop here is going to be expensive as well and living in the country, I've seen, raccoon, fox, coyote and bobcats on my trail camera so it would have to be sturdy.

We gave up, at least for now, on chickens. We had 9 layers at one point when we lived in Alabama, but they got picked off one by one by neighborhood dogs and hawks. Right before we moved, our favorite chicken, Lulu, an Easter egger, was killed by a coopers hawk and my wife's interest in keeping chicken kind of died with her. Building a new coop here is going to be expensive as well and living in the country, I've seen, raccoon, fox, coyote and bobcats on my trail camera so it would have to be sturdy.

Coyotes are the only animal that I feel nothing when I shoot. The will not disturb Rooster Cogburn and Henriettas 1-14.

I do have a little shit ass Banty that’s life mission is to murder my children so I’d be ok with something killing that little bastard.

lol, this is almost as good as reading the hearthstone thread

Look into Premiere 1 fencing. According to Joel Salatin, it'll keep predators out. Once I have mine up for a while, I'll write a review. It won't help the hawks, but surprisingly, the hawks and even bald eagles haven't bothered my flock yet.

Just got the email that the Cornish Cross chicks shipped as well. We should have 80 more chicks in the next few days.

Cornish Cross and Rainbow Rangers are almost ready to move out to pasture. It's crazy how much they eat and how fast they grow compared to the layers.

I have one chicken tractor built, hoping to build the other tomorrow.
127549e0964616816539776cf5a5aaf2.jpg

Something got 5 of my girls last night. I've been letting them free range at night, and had taken down the electric netting. I got too careless and let them come and go as they pleased. I'm locking them up tonight and will be adjusting the fence tomorrow.

Something got 5 of my girls last night. I've been letting them free range at night, and had taken down the electric netting. I got too careless and let them come and go as they pleased. I'm locking them up tonight and will be adjusting the fence tomorrow.

your kingdom for a Jason

Raccoons? Do you have a shovel?

Raccoons? Do you have a shovel?
They weren't on the porch though.

It was weird, they were essentially killed for sport. The only part of them that was eaten were two of the heads. The rest of the bodies were intact. I'm thinking racoon, or a wild chance it was an owl. These were fully grown birds though, so I doubt it was an owl.

You'd be amazed at how big of a thing an Owl will try to attack.

They weren't on the porch though.

It was weird, they were essentially killed for sport. The only part of them that was eaten were two of the heads. The rest of the bodies were intact. I'm thinking racoon, or a wild chance it was an owl. These were fully grown birds though, so I doubt it was an owl.

Sounds like devil worshippers.

Back