Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Pit Chicken Keeping Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Anybody experiencing this yet? Fiancee works in food service and she got this from a supplier/distributor:
    This means "works at Hooters", right?

I've been stockpiling defensive measures for the days you moochers come after those of us with the foresight to prepare for the upcoming Obama Egg-pocalypse. Thanks again for the Chicken-Ebola, Barry.

Sheikh of Smoke
    Bumping back to the top. I've posted on this thread a couple times and never knew it existed.

We've currently got 26 Golden Comets and 1 Delaware that should have been a Golden Comet, but the clerk at Tractor Supply was an idiot. 13 are daily layers, and the other 14 should start laying around July. We started just over a year ago with 6 hens, so they're addicting.

This summer I'm going to build a coop similar to this, and have 4 sections of Premiere 1 netting to surround the coop. I'm going to use my existing Carolina Coop inspired coop as a winter/brood coop once the x-wing is finished.

Tomorrow I've got 30 Rainbow Ranger meat birds coming, and a few days later should have 50 Cornish Cross birds coming. We're venturing into meat birds, and intend to have turkeys ready by this Thanksgiving.

We gave up, at least for now, on chickens. We had 9 layers at one point when we lived in Alabama, but they got picked off one by one by neighborhood dogs and hawks. Right before we moved, our favorite chicken, Lulu, an Easter egger, was killed by a coopers hawk and my wife's interest in keeping chicken kind of died with her. Building a new coop here is going to be expensive as well and living in the country, I've seen, raccoon, fox, coyote and bobcats on my trail camera so it would have to be sturdy.
    Birds are real.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    We gave up, at least for now, on chickens. We had 9 layers at one point when we lived in Alabama, but they got picked off one by one by neighborhood dogs and hawks. Right before we moved, our favorite chicken, Lulu, an Easter egger, was killed by a coopers hawk and my wife's interest in keeping chicken kind of died with her. Building a new coop here is going to be expensive as well and living in the country, I've seen, raccoon, fox, coyote and bobcats on my trail camera so it would have to be sturdy.
    Coyotes are the only animal that I feel nothing when I shoot. The will not disturb Rooster Cogburn and Henriettas 1-14.

I do have a little shit ass Banty thatís life mission is to murder my children so Iíd be ok with something killing that little bastard.

lol, this is almost as good as reading the hearthstone thread

Sheikh of Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Look into Premiere 1 fencing. According to Joel Salatin, it'll keep predators out. Once I have mine up for a while, I'll write a review. It won't help the hawks, but surprisingly, the hawks and even bald eagles haven't bothered my flock yet.

Sheikh of Smoke
    Just got the email that the Cornish Cross chicks shipped as well. We should have 80 more chicks in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by tsywake View Post
    We should have 80 more chicks in the next few days.
    Sounds like the chat threads of yore, all slaying hoodrats and drinking 4lokos.

now slaying coyotes, drinking coffee

Sheikh of Smoke
    Cornish Cross and Rainbow Rangers are almost ready to move out to pasture. It's crazy how much they eat and how fast they grow compared to the layers.

I have one chicken tractor built, hoping to build the other tomorrow.