• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Hey, the Bury isn't as bad as you all think. I agree, could probably pay less, but I don't mind give a few bucks extra to a responsible college student who has been left with the task of entertaining my daughter and putting her to bed.

Sitter cheap in ole mejico real cheap and they clean and cook and all the fixins. My little dude found another snake the other day not poisonus he's cool with it

I'll need a babysitter on July 4th or else we'll be all:

coolest-homemade-grateful-dead-costume-21408572.jpg

Skins, you're actually paying her to rock your child back to sleep if he wakes up, quickly grab him and rush him outside if the house catches fire, or any other emergency that could happen. Pay like you would a normal babysitter. You don't know what could happen.

my immediate thought was to pay for performance - like $5/hour for sitting around with a $50 bonus if the house burns down - but then it occurred to me that may not be the best incentive plan.

We were going to pay $40 for 3.5 hours but...

Kid woke up and stated screaming when we were less than a mile down the road. No doubt he heard us leave because he never wakes up after we put him down. We really screwed the situation up because we had her come over after we put him to bed. If she had gone in he would have lost his shit...rookie mistake. Next time we will have her come over and help put him to bed. Long story short...sometimes it really sucks not having family close by.

Never underestimate the value of a good sitter. We have a regular sitter whose rate for two kids is $10/hour, but we always pay her $15/hour because she is awesome. Bakes cookies with the kids using her own groceries, buys them presents on special occasions,etc. Plus she is in nursing school.

Kid woke up and stated screaming when we were less than a mile down the road. No doubt he heard us leave because he never wakes up after we put him down. We really screwed the situation up because we had her come over after we put him to bed. If she had gone in he would have lost his shit...rookie mistake. Next time we will have her come over and help put him to bed. Long story short...sometimes it really sucks not having family close by.

good point. Hire a sitter from 3-7 or 4-8, then come home and put the kids to bed yourself and watch TV.

We def over pay a decent rate $15/hr for 2 kids. We've had loyal sitters who the kids like and thus make it so easy for us to go out. It sucks that it adds on to the costs of a night out but well worth it. Lat year one of the sitters stayed for 3 days/nights as we went to Sea Island. They thought it was a mini vacation from us…Go figure.

Understandable, but I bet junior would have done better with the babysitter than you are giving him credit for. I am sure that mom and dad were all "oh noes junior is going to think we abandoned him with a stranger" but kids are a lot more adaptable than you think. We were like that with kid no. 1, but now with kid no. 3 we would text the sitter and tell her to rock the baby, sing a few songs, and you should be good...we'll see you after the movie.

I love that I got a rep from someone without kids telling me that the market for babysitters in Salisbury is really tight and that surge pricing for the wealthy is $20 to $25 per hour.

But you make a great argument for why we should bring back anonymous rep.

fixed it for you.

Exactly, paying a babysitter for night hours is the biggest rookie mistake out there. Why should I pay someone to watch the kids when they are asleep and at their easiest? If I'm paying for someone, its for when the kids are awake so that I don't have to handle them. 4pm movie, then dinner, then home to relax right after the kids have passed out.

Exactly, paying a babysitter for night hours is the biggest rookie mistake out there. Why should I pay someone to watch the kids when they are asleep and at their easiest?

Because there's something you want to do at night?

Because maybe you want to spend time with your kids during the day when they're awake?

Back