• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Yeah, I guess you can always take in a matinee of an R rated movie, get the early bird special at the local fish camp with the blue hairs, and skip the party that your friends are having, so you'll be home in time to suck down beers on the couch while you catch up on your DVR.

We were going to pay $40 for 3.5 hours but...

Kid woke up and stated screaming when we were less than a mile down the road. No doubt he heard us leave because he never wakes up after we put him down. We really screwed the situation up because we had her come over after we put him to bed. If she had gone in he would have lost his shit...rookie mistake. Next time we will have her come over and help put him to bed. Long story short...sometimes it really sucks not having family close by.

maybe i missed but was this a completely new person? we have two, 5 and 2 1/2, and if we bring in someone new we always bring them in ahead of time (during an interview etc) and pay the person to hang out with us there. wife and i cook dinner or do stuff around the house, drop in to monitor, but it gives the kids an opportunity to feel comfortable. the next thing we do is bring the sitter in for a few minutes early and then leave. kid(s) may get upset but rip the band-aid and head out calmly. kids may cry but they can get distracted pretty easily.

in the same boat. we don't really have family near by either (we're out in sterling, va). one aunt in arlington that is far more interested in what's going on in her life and spending time with the kids on her terms. e.g. inviting them us for dinner, stopping by if she has to come out this way etc.

Yeah, I guess you can always take in a matinee of an R rated movie, get the early bird special at the local fish camp with the blue hairs, and skip the party that your friends are having, so you'll be home in time to suck down beers on the couch while you catch up on your DVR.

Livin the dream.

How long did yall wait to tell people about a pregnancy?

Immediate family (parents, brothers, and sisters) - right after it was confirmed with a blood test (around 6-7 weeks)
A few close friends - shortly thereafter (8-10 weeks maybe)
Everyone else - end of first trimester (13-14 weeks)

We told immediate family as soon as we found out, waited until our 10 weeks appointment with the doctor to tell others (he basically said with what he saw there was no need to wait until the end of the first trimester). Never did any kind of major announcements/party/etc., just told people as we saw them or as it came up.

you say this like it's a bad thing

people really can't wait for a full trimester? even my wife who has a really close relationship with her family did not cave.

Told the parents right away. Like pee-on-stick right away. Well, maybe a week or two for my dad b/c he was coming down to visit. We found out it was twins on 4/1. Try calling everyone back up and them there are two on April Fools Day. Went "public" I think at like week 10.

First kid- told parents right away, a few other family members at about 8 weeks and everyone else at 12-13 weeks...2nd kid- kind of the same, but some people figured it out earlier and we didn't deny it. I was puking in the portajohn at a tailgate. That makes it tough to hide. Plus I was showing way early too.

~10 weeks. We were more conservative than most, but by waiting we were also able to tell our families in person during Christmas.

Wow, I guess we were more secretive than most, because we kept our shit on lockdown from everyone for like 12 or 13 weeks.

We waited about ten weeks. We wanted to be able to tell the entire family over Christmas. Interestingly, it caused some problems with her mom. She felt hurt that we had held out on her for that long (first grandchild). Really we just wanted to be able to tell people in person and not over the phone or facetime.

I understand the need to keep a secret, but anyone you would tell early is likely someone who would be in your corner should anything go wrong.

We had a weird situation with our first. Our best friend was staying with us over the weekend (like Best Man of Honor in our wedding 6 months prior) and on Saturday night we were headed to a party some other friends were hosting. My wife had a few beers the night before and was a little concerned about drinking at the party, so she bolted out to get a pregnancy test while she was getting for the party. So we found out before the party and probably acted very weird during the party. She was nursing a water bottle. Our friends who hosted had a one year old and kept hinting that they knew by asking questions and offering advice. So we told our best friend on the way home and called my sister on the way home. Told my parents a few days later and told other people after the doctor's visit. Went public as we ran into people.

I understand the need to keep a secret, but anyone you would tell early is likely someone who would be in your corner should anything go wrong.

That's basically how we felt about it. Didn't spread the news far and wide early on, but being the first grandchild on both sides really wanted to share with parents early.

Ours also happened to fall in a beneficial way such that the first trimester was ending right around Thanksgiving and Christmas, so we were going to see most extended family and a lot of friends to share in person (and explain why I wasn't drinking at said functions!).

Immediate family (parents, brothers, and sisters) - right after it was confirmed with a blood test (around 6-7 weeks)
A few close friends - shortly thereafter (8-10 weeks maybe)
Everyone else - end of first trimester (13-14 weeks)

We had timing pretty similar to this, for the reason Ph mentioned.

we waited the first trimester. we did not feel like it was keeping a secret or not sharing with our loved ones. we kept it to ourselves to share and enjoy before allowing others in.

in some way it may have been a partial response to my mother in law who was pushy and a real pain about making baby comments from the moment we were married. our first came close to our 5 year anniversary. it was so bad my wife told her mom "the only thing i want for my birthday is for you not to make comments/jokes about having a baby for the next year." to mom's credit her pushiness stopped.

Back