• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

What time does he go to bed and how for how many hours is he napping during the day? He should want to sleep for 12 hours a day so maybe you can adjust his schedule.

He goes to bed between 6:30 and 7. Probably naps a total of 3.5 hours a day.

For me, up until the last couple days when sleep got all fucked up, he's been awesome for probably 6 months. Really fun stage.

Yeah I would try easing him into 2 hrs of naptime a day, whether that means one or two naps depending on how tired he is in the morning. Our 2 year old sleeps from 8:30pm to 7:30am with a 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon and she is a good sleeper. Can't remember if her schedule was the same at 1 or not but she has always gone to bed kind of late and that has worked well for us.

Our second kid just turned six weeks old. That first month...woof. Does anyone actually enjoy that period? I'm really looking forward to her hitting three months as I seem to remember life getting much easier at that point.

ugh..when my 2nd child was born and we already had a 3 year old, the first few months were some of the hardest I've gone through. Both kids are great now, but that infant stage was rough. Did not enjoy.

ugh..when my 2nd child was born and we already had a 3 year old, the first few months were some of the hardest I've gone through. Both kids are great now, but that infant stage was rough. Did not enjoy.
hush. Nobody wants to hear that ;)

I have a 5-week old at home now with a 2.25 year old, and it's actually been okay. She's been a good baby and sleeper, so that's obviously extremely helpful. Few things better than taking a nap with a cute little baby laying on your chest. I suspect it'll get way, waaaaay harder when (a) my wife goes back to work this spring and (b) the baby becomes mobile.

I have a 5-week old at home now with a 2.25 year old, and it's actually been okay. She's been a good baby and sleeper, so that's obviously extremely helpful. Few things better than taking a nap with a cute little baby laying on your chest. I suspect it'll get way, waaaaay harder when (a) my wife goes back to work this spring and (b) the baby becomes mobile.

Preach.

Posrep! Couldn't agree more.

Has this been posted before?

1380608_617856031589510_1878924121_n.png

I read it a while back and the Dressing Test really stuck with me. It is very very true.

It really depends on the kid. My second is a champion sleeper and was after the second week or so.

It really depends on the kid. My second is a champion sleeper and was after the second week or so.

Exactly. Had my 2nd when my 1st was 19 months old, but it wasn't bad at all because they both slept well. Adopted our third when the 2nd was 2.5. The first 3 months sucked, but it was less about the other kids and more about his colic. Since then, he's become a champion sleeper though. He's 14 months and sleeps from 6:30 PM to 7:30 AM, and still takes two naps a day.

For new parents: my advice is to put your kids to bed early. Even my 5 year old is still in bed by 7:30 every night and not allowed out of bed until his alarm clock turns green at 7 AM the next morning. Instill an early bed time early on so that you'll actually have some time to yourselves through the early years.

Completely agree. We didn't do this with the first one and we are paying the price. The second has a bath to bed routine that starts at 7:30 every night. Despite that he's flexible enough to stay awake if we're out somewhere late.

Hmm, we do an 8-8:30 bedtime and that works great for us.

My kid goes down at 8 and wakes up around 8. He used to wake up earlier, but then we put black-out curtain liners on his windows so that it is dark as a mofo in his room and now he sleeps later. It was so awesome over Christmas break when I was able to sleep in for 2 straight weeks. VICTORY.

500px-Chewbacca-TCGEoD.jpg

My daughter can't sleep past 6. It sucks. We've tried moving bed time, naps, etc.

Our 4 year old is about 8:30 to 7:30. He definitely could fall asleep at 7:30, but I usually don't get home from work until 7 so like to spend some time with him before he goes to bed.

The 10-week-old is about 10:00 to 6:15 and then right back to sleep for another 3 hours, which I will definitely take at this point.

My daughter can't sleep past 6. It sucks. We've tried moving bed time, naps, etc.

My friend's daughter is this way; they have a little light that turns from a moon to a sunshine when she's 'allowed' to be awake for the day (7:00am). If she's up before then, she can play quietly in her room. Seems to work well for them...?

My friend's daughter is this way; they have a little light that turns from a moon to a sunshine when she's 'allowed' to be awake for the day (7:00am). If she's up before then, she can play quietly in her room. Seems to work well for them...?

We have something similar. If our 3.5 or 5 year old are awake before 7, they can play in their room, but they can't come downstairs until the alarm clock has changed from yellow to green.

Just found out my best friend is having a baby girl. I'll have straight uncle status. Daughter problem solved.

We've got one of those. It's tough to get her to understand the definition of playing quietly.

Back