• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

We've got one of those. It's tough to get her to understand the definition of playing quietly.

yeah, i suppose it's defeated if she decides she wants to play "house party"

It's terrible but she and RAMBO will wake up around 5:30 a lot of times and I'll put her on the bed and put a movie in and wifey will feed him and put him in the swing and he'll go back down for a couple of hours. That will allow us to hit 7:00 which is just a huge victory. #parentsoftheyear

ok, question for parents who have taken their kids on trips (e.g. to Disney, etc)...how far in advance did you tell the kids? i am trying to remember back to when i was little, and can't recall the anticipation to trips (even though we went on some cool ones during spring break). it seems like you don't want to tell too early cause then you have to deal with the endless questions of when are we leaving, etc etc. but you don't necessarily want to spring it on them at the last minute either (or maybe you do?).

ok, question for parents who have taken their kids on trips (e.g. to Disney, etc)...how far in advance did you tell the kids? i am trying to remember back to when i was little, and can't recall the anticipation to trips (even though we went on some cool ones during spring break). it seems like you don't want to tell too early cause then you have to deal with the endless questions of when are we leaving, etc etc. but you don't necessarily want to spring it on them at the last minute either (or maybe you do?).

chloe-meme-original.jpg

Our first trip was when my daughter was 3.5. She didn't figure out where we were going until we were in line for the Magic Express bus at the Orlando airport. We kept telling her it was a surprise. It was the right call for us. She would not have handled the anticipation well.

For big trips, we tell them a few days in advance. The oldest will ask questions, but he generally gets it.

We go on small trips pretty regularly (Disney, in-laws in Miami, beach). We usually tell them the day of or up to an hour or so before. Maybe we'll talk about it a little early to threaten not to go depending on behavior.

Funny story from one time we told them early. We were planning to go to Epcot one Friday afternoon a few months ago. Our oldest (4) got to school and he was restless because he knew we were going to Epcot in the afternoon. So his teacher let him talk about Epcot for his Friday show-and-tell for the letter E. He gave a 10 minute presentation about Disney World that his teacher described as "professorial." At the end of his talk, he asked if anybody had any questions and answered each one. His teacher said he was a great storyteller and very patient with his friends.

Last edited:

We went to Disney in December and I think we told our son in maybe September or October. He was excited about it, but it wasn't constantly on his mind. We might reference it once a day or so.

Pit real talk: like many (most?) of you Pit folks, I'm not a church-goer. I grew up going to church, but now I would describe myself as agnostic at best and have absolutely no desire to go to church. However, wife wants to go in part because our son is nearing 2.5. I am not opposed to teaching the little squirt some morality, so I guess we're going to end up going. Anyone have the same experience?

the thing is that the whole till death do us part thing really doesnt mean that anymore

Pit real talk: like many (most?) of you Pit folks, I'm not a church-goer. I grew up going to church, but now I would describe myself as agnostic at best and have absolutely no desire to go to church. However, wife wants to go in part because our son is nearing 2.5. I am not opposed to teaching the little squirt some morality, so I guess we're going to end up going. Anyone have the same experience?

We're having a bit of that same dilemma. Basically I grew up going (and my parents are still very involved in my home church). I enjoyed youth group and stuff growing up and had a lot of fun and am glad I was exposed to it all.

But in college and now in DC I didn't really keep it up (tried a few places, but haven't been in years besides when I'm home). I think I would consider myself agnostic now as well.

Parents want the Bug baptized (and I guess we do too but don't care that much). Asked home church if we could do it there and they basically said yes only if we were going to church regularly up here. So we're toying with the idea of going some.

I agree there is a morality level to it, and to a certain extent I would like her to know about religion and have an option to try to think about things for herself.

I have a feeling we'll go for a little bit, get her baptized, then maybe go sporadically after that.

I was also in the same boat. We started going to a pretty casual service when Birdie was 2. It's been a very positive experience. I'm still pretty unsure about higher powers but can really dig Jesus. Plus the members have been unbelievably gracious to my family. My wife and I only have two living grandparents and they aren't really involved in our kids' lives too much. The oldies there just love on them so much. If you can find the right spot, I'd say to give it a chance. YMMV of course.

I was also in the same boat. We started going to a pretty casual service when Birdie was 2. It's been a very positive experience. I'm still pretty unsure about higher powers but can really dig Jesus. Plus the members have been unbelievably gracious to my family. My wife and I only have two living grandparents and they aren't really involved in our kids' lives too much. The oldies there just love on them so much. If you can find the right spot, I'd say to give it a chance. YMMV of course.

This is pretty much how I feel. The "red letter Christians" seem like a good philosophy to follow.

And agreed that it makes a big difference to find the right church and get the fellowship part of it (not just sitting in a Sunday service). That's what was so great growing up...knowing all the other people in the church, enjoying seeing friends every week, etc.

I'm in a similar boat. I know that my family (and me to a lesser extent) will want to have the baby baptized and I definitely think that there are positives that can come from the right church. I feel like I should start going to church now to establish a community but on the other hand we may not even be living in GSO in July.

Call me crazy, but I can handle sitting quiet for an hour and just kind of spending some time in my head for a bit. The fellowship part is the thing I have no real interest in. We've got plenty of good friends in the area I don't have time to see very often already -- friends from growing up, friends from college, work friends, etc. I don't know -- it's cool people are nice, but at this point in my life, I feel like I'm all set on friends. I also sort of dread having to meet people at church and pretend like I believe in any of the stuff. Hopefully there's a secret handshake for dudes who are only there because our wives are making us and we don't want our kids to be evil.

you should go to a snake handling church and teach the kids how to do that. it would be bad ass. plus copperheads are strangely, perhaps divinely, drawn to you. so the next time you come across them on your walk you and your kid can just snatch them up and start dancing while you stare at the snakes and sing or talk in tongues. Then just casually put the snakes down and continue your walk. That kid will be a BOSS!

Somewhat. I went to church 5 days/week when I was a kid and got super-burnt out on it by the time I was in high school. But, the social aspect of the church and having that community is a pretty attractive thing to me for my family, since we have no relatives within 1000 miles and still kind of feel like outsiders in Winston. So, I'd really like to be involved in a church in the area, but we've tried out a couple and felt welcome at neither one.

you should go to a snake handling church and teach the kids how to do that. it would be bad ass. plus copperheads are strangely, perhaps divinely, drawn to you. so the next time you come across them on your walk you and your kid can just snatch them up and start dancing while you stare at the snakes and sing or talk in tongues. Then just casually put the snakes down and continue your walk. That kid will be a BOSS!

titcr

Back