• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Smoove move by SayHey sneaking this in during RevDeac's busiest time of the week.

you should go to a snake handling church and teach the kids how to do that. it would be bad ass. plus copperheads are strangely, perhaps divinely, drawn to you. so the next time you come across them on your walk you and your kid can just snatch them up and start dancing while you stare at the snakes and sing or talk in tongues. Then just casually put the snakes down and continue your walk. That kid will be a BOSS!

They don't have those kind of churches in the Triangle. You have to go to less civilized country, like Charlotte, for that kind of madness. I think Waxhaw is where serpent-handling churches originated.

For the record, went to church today. I sat quietly and respectfully. It was a beautiful morning and I would have preferred to have done about literally 10,000 different things, but whatever. It if keeps the Peanut from being History's Greatest Monster, so be it.

a Raleigh is charlottes bitch b the snakes the snakes c the Raleigh CLT jealousy is very un becoming on you d mexico

They don't have those kind of churches in the Triangle. You have to go to less civilized country, like Charlotte, for that kind of madness. I think Waxhaw is where serpent-handling churches originated.

For the record, went to church today. I sat quietly and respectfully. It was a beautiful morning and I would have preferred to have done about literally 10,000 different things, but whatever. It if keeps the Peanut from being History's Greatest Monster, so be it.

Ha, I'm picturing you fighting the urge to fart loudly during a particularly reverent silence.

We have a nanny but our 2 yr old goes to "school" at a neighborhood church two mornings every week. I figure that covers our bases for now and I can continue to not shave on the weekends.

Ha, I'm picturing you fighting the urge to fart loudly during a particularly reverent silence.

We have a nanny but our 2 yr old goes to "school" at a neighborhood church two mornings every week. I figure that covers our bases for now and I can continue to not shave on the weekends.

Same with us. The 3.5 year old goes to a Presbyterian pre-school, even though my wife and I are not Presbyterian and not church-goers. He goes 3 mornings a week, including "chapel" where he learns all sorts of good things. Love it when he comes home singing "God our father." We'll probably send the 7 week old there when he gets old enough. Plus, my MIL is crazy religious, so the kids can also get some of it from her as well...

SayHey, in light of the CT, I think you need to find out if there are any satan worshipers in Raleigh and perhaps explore that. Not sure your ladyfriend would be on board at first but once she realizes they are persecuted and such and the peanut has a chance to sit on the goat mans lap, then I'm sure everyone will come around.

Smoove move by SayHey sneaking this in during RevDeac's busiest time of the week.

Haha, yup. Just saw it. I'd just say that if you're not into it, don't force it. Find a place where the music doesn't suck, the sermons don't bore you, and where you enjoy the other people that are there. As much as I wish everyone "felt the Spirit/God's presence," not everyone is there. But there is still a lot to Sunday morning, even if you're not "there" with the notion of God. A great preacher I know always says on Easter "believe in as much as you can today. No more, no less. That's honest, and that's enough for God."

So we potty trained Birdie 6 months ago but still had her wear pull-ups to sleep in. Trying to break her of the pull-ups now. Is it best that she just wet the bed a few times and hopefully her body will realize that sucks and she'll start either waking up to go to the bathroom or just hold it overnight? In hindsight maybe we should have just gone all in when we potty trained her at first but my wife heard from some friends that this was the way to do it.

Haha, yup. Just saw it. I'd just say that if you're not into it, don't force it. Find a place where the music doesn't suck, the sermons don't bore you, and where you enjoy the other people that are there. As much as I wish everyone "felt the Spirit/God's presence," not everyone is there. But there is still a lot to Sunday morning, even if you're not "there" with the notion of God. A great preacher I know always says on Easter "believe in as much as you can today. No more, no less. That's honest, and that's enough for God."

RevDeac,

please see say hey's posts on the last chat thread. not the new one, but the last one. he needs your help.

Sincerely,

Brews

Just venting - bought the mamaroo thing for kid 1 since it had all of these great reviews. She hates it. Now we're trying some snugabunny thing that some friends have, which apparently works well. Nice way to spend $400.

RevDeac,

please see say hey's posts on the last chat thread. not the new one, but the last one. he needs your help.

Sincerely,

Brews

Eh- if as Townie says "If I understand Wrangor correctly, everything we do is inherently sinful. Just by being, we are in sin. You are born a sinner and have to repent your whole life, regardless of what you do," then I might be choose to be in the Say Hey camp as well.

But this is a parenting thread- so back to the topic - thanks all for the advice on flying with a 14 month old. I can't express how proud of our little girl I am. We seriously screwed with her schedule this past weekend, but she was a champ all the way through. Took naps on the plane, had maybe a total of 25 minutes (out of 10 hours of flying) of freak out crying time. But the whole weekend, she let us do what we needed to be doing, and was especially cute the whole time, which helped since we were meeting lots of new people and were in social situations most of the weekend.

Last edited:
Just venting - bought the mamaroo thing for kid 1 since it had all of these great reviews. She hates it. Now we're trying some snugabunny thing that some friends have, which apparently works well. Nice way to spend $400.

lol, yep we made the Mamaroo mistake too. Sold it on craigslist and took about a $40 hit. It sucked.

That's great, Rev. It's always nice to be impressed by your kids.

So we potty trained Birdie 6 months ago but still had her wear pull-ups to sleep in. Trying to break her of the pull-ups now. Is it best that she just wet the bed a few times and hopefully her body will realize that sucks and she'll start either waking up to go to the bathroom or just hold it overnight? In hindsight maybe we should have just gone all in when we potty trained her at first but my wife heard from some friends that this was the way to do it.
We are training right now and E wakes up dry most mornings and asks to go potty. But I am very interested in hearing how people tell you to proceed e because I have no idea how we're going to transition from nighttime diapers to underwear.

Last edited:
Well if it gives you any hope we are two nights in and have changed 4 sets of sheets. fml

Well if it gives you any hope we are two nights in and have changed 4 sets of sheets. fml
ugh, maybe we will keep him in diapers at night a long while longer. I am sure his brother will have us changing sheets/clothes/diapers a plenty...no need to add to that.

We are training right now and E wakes up dry most mornings and asks to go potty. But I am very interested in hearing how people tell you to proceed e because I have no idea how we're going to transition from nighttime diapers to underwear.

We went cold turkey with Harrison and just switched him and it worked after about a week.

Webb has been much more difficult. He has about a 75% success rate of going in the potty right now, but that other 25% rate is a PITA.

Back