• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

We did ours through our financial planner because we were just starting up with her at the same time we wanted to open one. Was just easier to have her do it at the same time.

Ended up choosing Va because it is historically better than D.C. and assumed if we were to move anywhere it'd probably be Va and then we could do the tax incentive.

Also in NC, also was choosing between Utah and NY. I think they had the lowest costs and most options, but Utah's cap was a bit higher, so we went with Utah. Somewhere on the internet, there's a 529 tool that shows the benefits for each state's plans. It was helpful.

It's really easy to set them up and is very easy for other folks to contribute to as birthday presents or whatever, if they want to.

Went back and checked, my state is Nevada. Doesn't matter, it's the vanguard 529.

Gotta decide on a preschool and daily schedule for kiddo who will be 3 in September. She's been home with grammy during the week until now and she is shy so it's gonna be a bit of a transition I am sure. After a bazillion preschool visits I think we finally decided on a pretty chill, play-based preschool.

Now to decide on a schedule:
2 days a week: Pros - cheaper, can start half day and change to full when she's ready, I don't have to get her up and out the door at 7:15; Cons - grammy has to continue staying with us Mon-Thurs (not ideal for her and she is starting to drive me insane although she is a ton of help)

5 days a week: Pros - more consistency and more time for learning, grammy can just help as needed, I get some time for myself (I don't work fridays); Cons - would need to be full day most days, me dragging kid out the door at 7:15, might be overwhelming for kid just starting school for first time, cost ($400 more a month)

Someone decide for me!

Gotta decide on a preschool and daily schedule for kiddo who will be 3 in September. She's been home with grammy during the week until now and she is shy so it's gonna be a bit of a transition I am sure. After a bazillion preschool visits I think we finally decided on a pretty chill, play-based preschool.

Now to decide on a schedule:
2 days a week: Pros - cheaper, can start half day and change to full when she's ready, I don't have to get her up and out the door at 7:15; Cons - grammy has to continue staying with us Mon-Thurs (not ideal for her and she is starting to drive me insane although she is a ton of help)

5 days a week: Pros - more consistency and more time for learning, grammy can just help as needed, I get some time for myself (I don't work fridays); Cons - would need to be full day most days, me dragging kid out the door at 7:15, might be overwhelming for kid just starting school for first time, cost ($400 more a month)

Someone decide for me!

Do 5 days.
He was a little younger than your kiddo, but when E started going 5 days vs. Part time, it made a huge difference in terms of less nap fighting, a huge jump in vocabulary and independence, and he had less fits and meltdowns.

Of course, $400 is like a small drop in our childcare bucket, so I may be biased. (We're signing E up for summer camps right now and, ouch!)

Had boys 3d birthday party it was fun. Can tell a Yuge difference between his school buddy fellas vs the fellas that stay at home with mom/granny. Those fellas are shy and can't talk the school fellas are more social and talk like people. Probs all evens out later perhaps

So we are night 4 of the transition and so far so good. We set the bed up about a month and a half ago and have been doing the book before bed in it since then so it's viewed as a quiet winding down spot and called it his bed the entire time. So far he's only gotten out of bed once during the first three nights and it was immediately after I left. After putting him back in and tucking him in he didn't get up again. Night 1 required us to be a lot quieter than usual and he called us a few times but we ignored him since he wasn't upset or anything. I think the slower transition has helped. He'll be 2 in March, so we waited a little longer than originally planned. Baby 2 is still in our room and will stay there until he's more consistently going all night so as to not wake up number 1 and to give number 1 more time to stop thinking of the crib as his.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We had our first successful nap in the big kid bed in her new room. We moved the crib in there a week ago to acclimate and she's been going in there to play on the bed for a couple months after bath time and before bed. She's been asking to go night night in there for a while. We'll continue to do weekend naps in there for a while and go to overnight probably in a couple months.

Any recommendations of good fiction books for a 7 year old boy? He's mostly into non-fiction books about science and it's hard to get him to read much else.

Any recommendations of good fiction books for a 7 year old boy? He's mostly into non-fiction books about science and it's hard to get him to read much else.

Ender's Game? Maybe too young?

I feel like I read it for the first time in maybe third grade.

what's his reading level?

I got a couple of the Brad Meltzer "I am..." books for my bf's daughter, and she enjoys them. They're still non-fiction, but a bit more story driven about the people they're about than just hard science (as it sounds like that's what he's reading).

Spent 3 nights in a giant rental house with some friends, a couple of whom brought along their kids. Fortunately, my kids stayed with Grandma and Grandpa.

Don't like to judge other parents, because it's hard, and these are my buddies, but holy hell, at one point it was literally 10 PM and one of their children (2 years old) was standing in the kitchen drinking a Coke. Kid never went to bed before like 10:30 PM. Another of the kids (6 years old; different parents) spent literally the entire long weekend in the mountains inside the house playing video games. At one point, his parents left the house for a while and didn't even tell him -- the kid just wandered into the kitchen to get a Dr Pepper and asked if we knew where his parents were (we did not).

Anyway, different strokes, man. Wife and I feel like we're fairly laid back and flexible, but by comparison we felt like drill sergeants.

Above level, but he doesn't really like to read.

then yeah, i'd still recommend the "I am..." series, as they're also more in a graphic novel style and might be more appealing than blocks of text.

Thanks. They kind of remind me of the Value Tales books I used to read as a kid.

what does he like? I have no idea what 7 yr olds can handle but these were books that I remember liking as a kid

Hatchet
My Side of the Mountain
Indian in the Cupboard
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Prydain

what does he like? I have no idea what 7 yr olds can handle but these were books that I remember liking as a kid

Hatchet
My Side of the Mountain
Indian in the Cupboard
Lord of the Rings

got this for PM's 9 yr old and it is decidedly still a bit too wordy (and he's a big reader).

Also, LoTR might be a bit much, but the Redwall series is good for like 4th grade and on...

Hatchet
My Side of the Mountain
Indian in the Cupboard
Lord of the Rings

Science stuff. Animals. Sea creatures. Dinosaurs. Video games. Legos. Some superhero stuff. Nothing scary.

Back