• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

3 nights down, 6 sets of sheets. She picked up normal potty training like a champ. We basically just told her that we were throwing away her diapers and it was on her to keep her clothes clean. Within 3 days she had it pretty much nailed.

I can see this being a little more of a challenge.

Anyone ever deal with minor food allergies? I'm not really sure what else this would be. The bug has had a red rash type reaction on her cheeks that has gone up and down in intensity for the last month or so, but never really gone away.

She's never had any other reaction (no shortness of breath, swelling, lethargy, etc), and the rash/irritation doesn't even seem to bother her or itch or anything.

We haven't taken her to the doctor yet since it hasn't really seemed that bad, but we also are a little worried it hasn't gone away. Thinking maybe it's sweet potatoes (which would suck) but really not sure.

3 nights down, 6 sets of sheets. She picked up normal potty training like a champ. We basically just told her that we were throwing away her diapers and it was on her to keep her clothes clean. Within 3 days she had it pretty much nailed.

I can see this being a little more of a challenge.

Some kids are just such heavy sleepers that needing to go to the bathroom or wetting in the middle of the night does not wake them. One of mine was daytime potty trained for well over a year before she could make it through the night. We ended up getting an alarm (http://bedwettingstore.com/malem-bedwetting-alarm.html) so she could train herself to wake up when she needed to got to the bathroom, and it worked like a champ. We used the alarm immediately when we started potty training the next child and she was making it through the night right away. Would highly recommend the alarm if you are going to try to continue no pullups at night right now.

Some kids are just such heavy sleepers that needing to go to the bathroom or wetting in the middle of the night does not wake them. One of mine was daytime potty trained for well over a year before she could make it through the night. We ended up getting an alarm (http://bedwettingstore.com/malem-bedwetting-alarm.html) so she could train herself to wake up when she needed to got to the bathroom, and it worked like a champ. We used the alarm immediately when we started potty training the next child and she was making it through the night right away. Would highly recommend the alarm if you are going to try to continue no pullups at night right now.

Good info. I'm gonna check that out.

Anyone ever deal with minor food allergies? I'm not really sure what else this would be. The bug has had a red rash type reaction on her cheeks that has gone up and down in intensity for the last month or so, but never really gone away.

She's never had any other reaction (no shortness of breath, swelling, lethargy, etc), and the rash/irritation doesn't even seem to bother her or itch or anything.

We haven't taken her to the doctor yet since it hasn't really seemed that bad, but we also are a little worried it hasn't gone away. Thinking maybe it's sweet potatoes (which would suck) but really not sure.

That may not be a minor allergy. That may be a reaction to a minor exposure, something that would be worse if the cause is consumed or with regular exposure. I'd recommend getting an allergy test to find out.

not a parent, but I was talking to a friend about allergies because her son is allergic to everything (tree nuts, gluten, eggs). My sister has been sharing stories about my nephew's extreme disinterest in solid foods, and I asked the friend if her son had fussed about eating solids, thinking it might be allergy related. She said he had been a good eater but always had rashes, until they figured out the allergies. She also has a number of food allergies so she suspected it soon. Said the doctors didn't want to do an allergy test until it had been going on for a while so she just kept calling the doctor reporting allergy symptoms until they were willing to test.

I hope your little lady doesn't have allergies!

That's really poor form on the doctor's part. You don't want to wait for consistent signs of a severe allergy to test for a severe allergy.

That's really poor form on the doctor's part. You don't want to wait for consistent signs of a severe allergy to test for a severe allergy.

Yeah, that sounds like the dumb. My daughter exhibited signs of a peanut allergy at 1. We avoided peanuts all the time. Had her re-tested at 5 and she had grown out of the allergy. That was fucking huge.

Same thing happened to us. We're hoping for the same result although it's unlikely.

An allergy test is just a good thing to do. We weren't feeding him peanuts, but he did like edamame and we found out he had a mild soy allergy. That explained the rashes on his face from time to time.

Last edited:
What age did y'all do allergy tests? I suppose we need to look into it. Ugh. We really have no family history of food allergies so were hoping to avoid...but seems to be the norm these days!

On the other hand, we had a fair amount of rash/redness on E when he was younger and it just turned out to be sensitive skin. Obviously YMMV.

Thanks, all. It seems like it could be a number of things (food allergy, skin sensitivity, teething, etc). But we should probably get it officially checked out, even if it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. That's the part that seems weird to me. Rash is only on cheeks (not on other parts of the body) and does not seem to be itchy.

You definitely should get it checked out. The rash is a sign.

Shortly after our oldest was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy, I came home from work after eating food with peanuts for lunch. I gave him a kiss on the cheek without thinking about it. An hour later I noticed a small rash on his cheek where I kissed him. Be cautious. You want to know if there is something out there that could harm your child.

Any advice on anchoring furniture to walls? 1 year old is moving around quite a bit now, pulling up on stuff. Wife worried he might pull something on top of him. I'm thinking most of the stuff heavy enough to cause serious harm is also sturdy enough.

Any experience?

Any advice on anchoring furniture to walls? 1 year old is moving around quite a bit now, pulling up on stuff. Wife worried he might pull something on top of him. I'm thinking most of the stuff heavy enough to cause serious harm is also sturdy enough.

Any experience?

A year or so ago I stumbled across a website called Meghan's Hope started by a mother whose daughter was killed when her dresser fell over on her. She's become a big advocate for child safety and especially furniture/appliance anchoring. I follow her on FB and probably once a month she posts an article about another child killed by a TV falling on them. She has a good section about how to secure furniture and I've also bookmarked this post about anchoring.

Thanks! After talking to a few parents around the office, sounds like I need to definitely get things secured. Appreciate the resources.

Yeah, we have been delinquent about securing our furniture and TVs. We bought straps for our big pieces of furniture and both TVs, but just haven't attached them yet. Now that we're into crawling/pulling up everywhere, that should really be on the to do list.

Trying to solve the logistical nightmare of preschool starting in the fall. Currently we're in a nanny share with another family and their son, with our new daughter joining the share in a couple months when my wife goes back to work. Trying to figure out what happens when the boy goes to preschool, perhaps 2 days a week, perhaps 3, 4 or 5. Perhaps half day or full day. Too many options.

Oh Rubbins, you will see once Little Cole has emerged triumphant from the lady penis.

Back