• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I got a couple of the Brad Meltzer "I am..." books for my bf's daughter, and she enjoys them. They're still non-fiction, but a bit more story driven about the people they're about than just hard science (as it sounds like that's what he's reading).

+ 1

My daughter loves these.

I've heard Meltzer interviewed about these on one of the morning radio shows here but never looked into the books. Reminds me of the ones I loved I elementary school. I think they were like "Biographies of young Americans" or something?

It might be a little below him at this point, but the Wayside School books got my son really into reading, though that was at 5/6 years old. I read those books about a thousand times when I was a kid. My son is 7 now and is really into the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, which are really quick reads. Kids his age like the Geronimo Stilton books quite a bit, it seems. Mine likes the House of Robots books, Encyclopedia Brown, Goosebumps, and really liked the first Harry Potter book. And yeah, the "I am. . " books are great. He's currently reading the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books, but those are kind of lame. ETA: the magic tree house books are fine, too. Get a little bit of historical fiction and it should be an easy read if he's an above average 7 year old.

It's also Book Fair week at school, which is kinda fun. He really wants the Guinness Book of World Records and a book about the presidents. NEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDD.

Last edited:
I got him an Encyclopedia Brown and a Geronimo Stilton yesterday. I couldn't find the "I am" books because I was in a hurry.

Due date is seven weeks away. We're starting to buy stuff (which is weird). My current big question: where does one go to get affordable clothes for newborns? I don't want a bunch of super expensive stuff, since the child will grow out of them fairly quickly, and I'm pretty sure I'll want stuff that's easy to put on/take off/wash, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Target. Walmart. Babies R Us. Yes, you will go through multiple outfits a day.

Don't know if you are on Facebook but every town around on me has a Facebook baby group of some sort where people sell their used stuff on the cheap

Due date is seven weeks away. We're starting to buy stuff (which is weird). My current big question: where does one go to get affordable clothes for newborns? I don't want a bunch of super expensive stuff, since the child will grow out of them fairly quickly, and I'm pretty sure I'll want stuff that's easy to put on/take off/wash, yes?

You should be rolling in baby clothes after the baby shower.

You should be rolling in baby clothes after the baby shower.

Yeah, don't you have any friends who throw a shower and give you butt tons of clothes ? Sorry if you don't have friends or relatives. We wound up with more clothes than the kids could reasonably wear in the first year. As a matter of course we tend to give something for 12-18 months or a gift card for baby showers now.

We get most of our stuff from Carter's. Very cheap, but pretty good quality.

Agree on the Facebook stuff, too.

We've had 2 girls (3 years old and 9 months old), and have been giving away stuff that the younger one has grown out of. We have some stuff that was never even worn by either of them (gifts).

Go to places like Once upon a child or consignment type places. You can get like 50 onesies for like a dollar. And they were probably worn once.

Go to places like Once upon a child or consignment type places. You can get like 50 onesies for like a dollar. And they were probably worn once.

yeah, just get 50 onsies and some blankets until they're like 3-4 months old

Get the gown onesies. Much easier for changing diapers.

Yeah, don't you have any friends who throw a shower and give you butt tons of clothes ? Sorry if you don't have friends or relatives. We wound up with more clothes than the kids could reasonably wear in the first year. As a matter of course we tend to give something for 12-18 months or a gift card for baby showers now.

We had one back in Oregon, and some folks at school just said they want to do one for us, so that should help. Part of the issue is (a) we just moved back to Pittsburgh, so we don't know a ton of people, and (b) we're keeping this low key on FB, so a ton of people on there don't know about it.

Target and Carter's for cheap new stuff. Any Carter's outlets nearby? Even cheaper.

Otherwise see if you can find any neighborhood swap options or hand me downs from a neighbor or something. We're fortunate that our neighborhood now has 4 clothing swaps a year where people who are done with clothes drop them off and those who need them can come in and pick stuff out for free. We've gotten a ton of stuff this way. And will probably give a lot of our stuff there when we're done.

Baby shower clothes are great but after about two months, your baby has outgrown them all and all you got at the baby shower was 0-3 month old stuff. For newborns, you can usually buy packs of clothes, like 4 onesies for $5. Do that stuff.

Back