• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

we use our car seat/car seat bag to also pack the kids' diapers so we don't waste luggage space

Yeah I check it all. Pain in the ass to carry but its fine. And with the little one, we just take her through the airport in her car seat and stroller so we can gate check it for free as well.

Fixing to take our first all-family flight where we'll have a car at the destination. How do you guys handle car seats for the kids when you fly somewhere?

Take one car seat for the infant and rent one for the toddler. Never had an issue with rental-car seat cleanliness or the rental company being out.

ETA: We take a few more diapers than we need for a day and typically just pick some up wherever we go (or have family pick them up for us prior to our arrival, if we're visiting family).

What kind of shithead parent sends their kid to school with a confirmed case of pink eye? Am I crazy for thinking that’s a shitty thing to do and for being pissed at that parent?

What kind of shithead parent sends their kid to school with a confirmed case of pink eye? Am I crazy for thinking that’s a shitty thing to do and for being pissed at that parent?

Same parent that doesnt take a sick day when spewing phlegm. See unpopular opinion thread from a while back.

The scene: I'm helping girl (7) hang up her party dress. Boy (10) is hovering, fiddling with legos.

Girl: "leebs, do you believe in Santa?"
Me: *oh dear god. keep fiddling with the dress. do not make eye contact.* "I believe in the magic of Christmas!"
Girl: "Noooo, do you believe in the MAN. SANTA."
Me: *aaahhhhhhhh* "...yes, I believe in the spirit of Christmas."
Girl: "....ok, me too."

She runs off, her brother is still in there - he has been intently listening while pretending not to listen to all of this. Important detail - we know the next door neighbor kid, who is in his class, does not believe and his mom confirmed that there is no Santa. PM and I have been wondering what boy thinks but have not wanted to just ask out of the blue.

Me: "so, what do you think?"
Boy: "I believe in Santa for one reason."
Me: "what's that?" (thinking he's going to say "because he brings me presents!")
Boy: "Because it's more fun to believe in Santa than to not believe. All these other kids in my class want proof, and I just don't think it matters."
Me: *wtf, when did the room get dusty?* "Well, that's a very good perspective to have. Let's go eat dinner."

/end scene.

I don't know how well I handled that, but I didn't lie to anyone, girl7 still believes, and Christmas isn't ruined... so I'll chalk it up as a win.

Nicely handled, Leebs! You are like pretty much officially a parent now.

Birdie is super skeptical about everything and laid out like a 10 point plan on why Santa isn’t real the other day. Told her if she spoiled it for her brother I’d end her.

Rambo is one of those kids that will probably believe until he goes to college.

morbid much? yeesh. how do you answer that other than, "Hopefully not for a long time!"

I told her I wasn't going to die for a long long time when she was old. Hopefully I didn't jinx it.

Kids are both all-in on Santa and the Elf on the Shelf, which is fun. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

We were in the car one day and my youngest asked if me and my wife were going to die before he and his brother do. My first thought was, "I hope so" but I didn't say it. Then my youngest (5) started crying that he was going to be all alone because he was going to be the last to die. Before we could come up with a response, my oldest (8) told him, "It's going to be OK. We're going to grow up and you're going to get married and I'm going to get married and we'll have kids and our families will be there for each other. You're never going to be alone."

Boy likes to see where elf on the shelf is every morning, but not so much anything else with the fella. The reporting to Santa and don’t touch haven’t been working out that great

Damn. Leebs with the strong response to a tough question and PH Jr hitting a grand slam to begin his own undepheated streak.

Apparently when I was little I asked my grandmother for a particular picture she had on the mantle. Her response was "you can have it when I kick the bucket." I followed her around for a few days asking if she had kicked the bucket yet.

Top 5 funniest parenting moment for me was once when Rambo was acting a fool last year and I told him the elf was watching and he went back to see Santa every night. He looked me dead in the eyes and said, it’s okay, him can’t talk.

I lost it right there.

Wife “hid” elf in her suitcase for Xmas travel. On airport layover I look over and boy is holding elf straight up in the air saying HE SNUCK IN YOUR SUITCASE!!!!

Back