• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I don't have the picture to share but a fave pic of my baby nephew is when he was a wee preemie newborn and all burrito-wrapped, and my bro-in-law put a large actual burrito on a plate in the crib next to him. swaddles ftw.

#weebabyseanus

I'm pretty sure that "first time you rip a fart so rancid it brings your previously happy three year old to tears" has replaced first steps and first word as the most indelible memory in raising Birdie. #sulphur

I was dropping off my daughter at school back in the fall and had to let one slip. A few seconds later, from the back seat, I heard "Ugh, something smells like beef. Ugh, daddy can you just let me out here?"

Resurrecting this thread for suggestions on a situation we are dealing with. Most of the discussion here is about little kids - my girls are graduating this year, one from college, one from high school.

Here is the issue - the college graduation is out of town on a Friday and is the same day as the last day of school for the hs senior. The hs girl says there is no way she is missing the last day of hs - all the traditional celebrating, I think there is a little cookout for the seniors, etc... The college girl is livid and says she can't believe her sister won't be at her college graduation, one of the most important days of her life. College girl went to the same HS and says the last day is no big deal.

College girl is so bitter about it she says she will never get over it. We're having a grad party at her apt with her college friends and their parents - sister won't be there. Sister won't be in any family pictures we take there, etc. etc. She is mad at us for not making her sister come. According to her, everyone she talks to says they can't believe we aren't making her sister come. (We'll have another grad party at home for family and friends, of course - but that will be later.)

HS girl says college graduations are boring anyway and lots of people don't even go. She says she has been in school with the same kids for many years and all her friends will be celebrating, crying, etc. - they are all going to different colleges. Everyone we talk to around here says they would never make their high schooler miss her last day of school.

What the hell do we do? If I make the High schooler go I would probably have to physically put her in the car and she would be so pissed she would make us all miserable...

Ack!

I agree it sounds shitty. I've got a 15 month old, so i'm not qualified, but i think I'd lean towards letting HS girl do what she wants. College girl will get over it. I don't remember a damn thing about my college graduation.

oh wow I never saw this thread before. I guess I can post here now that I live with and raise my girlfriend's 7 and 6 year olds.

I'm sure that just thrills you all...

Don't make the HS girl go. Graduations are pretty lame and missing out on the last day with the celebrations and what not with people she's grown up with before they all part ways would really suck.

The college girl just needs to get over it. Take the pictures some other time. It's not worth bringing along the HS girl and making everyone else suffer for it. The college girl will be with her friends. The HS girl with hers.

Echoing what others have said. I don't have kids but I was a HS and a college girl before. I can remember so many details about my last few days in HS and can be a really exciting and emotional time. I understand the college girl being upset but she is having that same emotional and exciting time with all of her friends.

I think it also comes down to the practical matter that Hal brought up - if the younger sister is forced to go she will be miserable and make everyone miserable and then the older sister will just remember how her younger sister was so awful that day.

Tough situation, though.

Echoing what others have said. I don't have kids but I was a HS and a college girl before. I can remember so many details about my last few days in HS and can be a really exciting and emotional time. I understand the college girl being upset but she is having that same emotional and exciting time with all of her friends.

I think it also comes down to the practical matter that Hal brought up - if the younger sister is forced to go she will be miserable and make everyone miserable and then the older sister will just remember how her younger sister was so awful that day.

Tough situation, though.

I agree with this. How you get your daughters to reconcile the situation, I have no idea... but as a parent I do think you've got to let them decide for themselves what to do.
Is there any way high school girl can do something really nice/meaningful for big sister since she won't be there? Be it a card, photo, something? Hopefully college girl can be big enough to understand the situation and not just be resentful about it.

yikes, good luck. (note to self: don't have children 4 years apart)

That is tough, but like others said, let HS daughter stay (for pretty much all the reasons above). I don't necessarily remember my last day of HS, but would've been pissed if I missed a cookout or other nostalgic thing. I can't even remember if my brothers were at my college graduation (both are younger and I think the middle bro didn't come? He was actually graduating HS so it might've been a similar situation).

Are the sisters especially close such that the older one really is sad her sister won't be there? Or is she more upset at the idea of he day not being the most important thing?

That is tough, but like others said, let HS daughter stay (for pretty much all the reasons above). I don't necessarily remember my last day of HS, but would've been pissed if I missed a cookout or other nostalgic thing. I can't even remember if my brothers were at my college graduation (both are younger and I think the middle bro didn't come? He was actually graduating HS so it might've been a similar situation).

Are the sisters especially close such that the older one really is sad her sister won't be there? Or is she more upset at the idea of he day not being the most important thing?

Yeah - I meant to ask this, too.

Don't make the HS girl go. Graduations are pretty lame and missing out on the last day with the celebrations and what not with people she's grown up with before they all part ways would really suck.

The college girl just needs to get over it. Take the pictures some other time. It's not worth bringing along the HS girl and making everyone else suffer for it. The college girl will be with her friends. The HS girl with hers.

Truth

Plus- how does this happen? College graduations are typically early May and hs ends in late May or early June.

would you prefer your hs daughter hook up with an 18 year old with nobody at home or a 21 year old with her sister around? Theres your answer

FWIW, my sister skipped my college graduation from Wake...different reasons, but I've never lost a second of sleep over it. So my opinion is let the HS girl stay home

Birdie is being a handful at bedtime lately. She will not stay in her bed. We'll walk her back and put her back in bed, give her quick, stern instruction to stay in bed, and leave. Two minutes later, she's back out of bed. The last few nights have been just terrible (1-2 hours of this shit). Ugh, she's been so good otherwise. Anyone else go through this?

My parents and brother came to my Wake graduation but left right after the ceremony because he had lacrosse practice for the state playoffs. It bummed me out but not a huge deal. Let HS girl stay home.

Can someone pls delete the bmoney=whore daughter tag? I'm just sick of looking at it.

The worst part about these long super threads is that the tags filled up 2 years ago and never change.

Back