• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Me picking up all the toys off the floor every night = Camus' Sisyphus

Me picking up all the toys off the floor every night = Camus' Sisyphus

giphy-downsized.gif

My sister and I are 23 months apart. We have several friends who are siblings 2 years apart.

That seemed particularly crazy to me when my oldest was 15 months old.

My kids are about 17 months apart. Oldest just turned 2. It's busy, but we're having a great time - I'm glad they're close together and I think it will pay dividends down the road when the little one is older and can play more with big sis.

Me turning off lights all over the house all the time = Camus' Sisyphus

edited for my own struggle. I swear every room is like the rapture just happened; everything is still on and running, objects are left out and about as though they were put down mid task... it's time to figure out new natural consequences to leaving things on and not leaving a space how you found it. I'm thinking maybe paying a nickel to a jar for every time they leave something on; leaving things out gets them taken away? Kids are 10 and 7.

Our solar panels just got turn on so I'm hyper aware of the lights on all the time.

On the cleaning front, Saturday night my little one cleaned up the bathtub all by himself after his bath. Put all the bath toys in a bag, wiped it perfectly clean. Looked like it does when our cleaning people come through. Sadly, he usually takes his bath in our bathroom while his messy older brother is in their bathroom.

Found out the hard way that BG's GI system is not ready for acidic tomato based sauces. We fed her lasagna last night, which she loved, but puked it up in an uncomfortable, crying fit about 5 hours later. All over the Mrs., which is fortunate in the end because I'm a sympathy puker and would have been throwing up right there with her.

Here's something.

And since none of you really know who I am (I think), I don't mind sharing.

Wife and I have two girls... 3.5 & 1.5. They are awesome. We've been debating a 3rd child for a while... Literally going back and forth almost every day (sometimes changing opinions numerous times throughout the day). A couple of months ago, we decided we wouldn't actively try, but that we wouldn't try to prevent getting pregnant.

Welp, this morning my wife sent me a text saying she's pregnant and she's freaking out (more than) a little bit about it.

Truth be told, I am pretty excited. But what started as, "Let's just see what happens" has turned into something very real. I'm no idiot... I knew once we stopped preventing a pregnancy, it was pretty much inevitable. But when we tried for the first two, it took 4 months each time (and we even had an early miscarriage the 2nd time around before getting pregnant again the very next month).

Just wanted/needed to share... But it is WAY too early to tell any real-life friends/family.

Here's something.

And since none of you really know who I am (I think), I don't mind sharing.

Wife and I have two girls... 3.5 & 1.5. They are awesome. We've been debating a 3rd child for a while... Literally going back and forth almost every day (sometimes changing opinions numerous times throughout the day). A couple of months ago, we decided we wouldn't actively try, but that we wouldn't try to prevent getting pregnant.

Welp, this morning my wife sent me a text saying she's pregnant and she's freaking out (more than) a little bit about it.

Truth be told, I am pretty excited. But what started as, "Let's just see what happens" has turned into something very real. I'm no idiot... I knew once we stopped preventing a pregnancy, it was pretty much inevitable. But when we tried for the first two, it took 4 months each time (and we even had an early miscarriage the 2nd time around before getting pregnant again the very next month).

Just wanted/needed to share... But it is WAY too early to tell any real-life friends/family.

Congrats! We also did the not trying but not preventing method, and got pregnant much quicker than we expected. Hopefully you'll have a boy this time around to try and bring some balance to the force.

congrats! We also did the not trying, but not preventing method and we now have an awesome funny smart 8 year old now who is the apple of my eye.

Also, I realized that every situation is different and every family is unique but I am so glad that we ended up having a 2nd child. My youngest has brought so much to our family that we would have missed out on and he has added so much to his older brother's life as well. I honestly think that one of the best things that ever happened to my oldest son is having having a little brother. They are best friends, do everything together, and I struggle to think of one of them without the other.

Congratulations!! That is exciting and terrifying!

I want 3 kids in our family but right now (6 days post birth) it ain’t happenin through me.

Have almost 11 month old and trying to figure out how to get her to drink water from a sippy cup - any tips? Does great holding bottle and seems to understand how to hold sippy cup but think she just doesn't like water. Know we have to start getting her away from the bottle over the next month or so and we're down to 3 bottles a day with good eating of food, but need to figure out how to get her hydrated other than formula from a bottle.

good question, we were worried about that quite a bit but our daughter seemed to like to mimic us drinking. we had a lot of success going straight to a 360-style cup with the handles:

1.jpg

Went home over lunch to calm down the wife a bit and bring her another pregnancy test that wasn't 2 years expired.

Still pregnant.

She's excited... Just overwhelmed with all that needs to be done now. She wanted to ask me 1000 questions that I don't have answers to. 2 kids and 2 bedrooms works well... 3 kids and 2 bedrooms? Do we move? Do we need different cars? Why did we give away all of our baby clothes after #2? My Ob/Gyn is no longer at her practice... How do I find a new doctor!?!

Chill, lady.

I'm stoked now that it is officially happening.

Any advice on the transition to food in general would be great. My daughter is 7 months now and we are trying to get her to eat various baby foods (we've just been getting the jars, she seems to like sweet potatoes best so far) at least once a day before one of her bottles (she takes 4 bottles per day). Hopefully will get the daycare to start helping us out this week as well.

What ITC posted works. We also used cups with straws.

Not sure what you do if the kid doesn't like water. I guess we've been lucky on that one. Never had to resort to juice.

good question, we were worried about that quite a bit but our daughter seemed to like to mimic us drinking. we had a lot of success going straight to a 360-style cup with the handles:

1.jpg

We've got the same thing, and our 9 month old drinks from the cup without issue.

1.jpg

I get the feeling this will lead to water everywhere. Half the time with the current sippy cups she ends up turning it upside down or pushing it onto the floor

Back