• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

ugh

so my daughter was extra moody for about two weeks. finally took her to the doc for a cough and i guess she's had an ear infection for a while - being kind of a trouper, it turns out.

anyway, they gave her amoxicillin. both my wife and i are allergic to it but she isn't - how the fuck does that work? #miracles

ugh

so my daughter was extra moody for about two weeks. finally took her to the doc for a cough and i guess she's had an ear infection for a while - being kind of a trouper, it turns out.

anyway, they gave her amoxicillin. both my wife and i are allergic to it but she isn't - how the fuck does that work? #miracles

she had 8 days of it before the rash showed up. no other changes in behavior. she didn't even seem to realize she had a rash.

ugh

Allergies change over time. I'm highly allergic to ibuprofen, but luckily BG can tolerate it.

Damn.

We found out today that one of our 11 year old's friends was killed in a car accident.

Have any of you had to walk your kids through something like this? Bullying, relationships, fights and other things we've thought about, but this wasn't on our radar as something we'd have to prepare for. We've had to do it for grandparents, etc. who were sick or older, but not at 10 year old.

Hug your kids tighter, folks.

A friend of mine/a girl in the neighborhood (we were a tight clan of kids) died when I was 10 - she had a simple virus (like a cold) that went to a weakness in her heart and settled there; completely unexpected. I remember finding out because one of the other neighborhood kids ran outside and said something (their mom got the phone call about it first, I guess), and then I was like, "nuh uh - she's just at the hospital because she needed fluids." Then I went inside about the same time my own mom was finishing her phone call in which she found out the truth. I don't remember the timing of all of it I do remember mom very matter-of-factly telling me that she had died, and I remember not having a lot of feelings about it at that point in time... but then over the course of time, I had more questions than anything. My mom was good about answering them simply and to the point. Know that you may get weird questions at weird times because something will happen and your child will remember their friend and maybe have a question about what parents do on their deceased child's birthday (I know I did that, months after the fact). Like you said, kids kind of understand it with animals and with grandparents/old people... but they don't really have context ever for thinking about it happening to them or their peers.

Do you know if the kid had a sibling? If your child is wondering if they could do something, they could write a note or a card to the sibling (and to the parents) about how they were a friend and what they liked and appreciated about the child who was killed. I remember doing that.

Many hugs all around.

she had 8 days of it before the rash showed up. no other changes in behavior. she didn't even seem to realize she had a rash.

Yeah, I took amox and penicillin lots of times when I was younger. Probably hadn't taken it in at least 15-20 years though. And then had it last winter for strep throat. Got to day 9 of my 10 day dose and broke out in a rash all over. Similarly it was not itchy or painful (wouldn't have known it was there except I could see it all over). So apparently I'm allergic now. Thus when I got strep again like a month later I had to take a z-pack instead.

Sleep regression is a real bitch. Rocking 4 hours of sleep last night thanks to multiple new teeth and a developmental leap.

Damn.

We found out today that one of our 11 year old's friends was killed in a car accident.

Have any of you had to walk your kids through something like this? Bullying, relationships, fights and other things we've thought about, but this wasn't on our radar as something we'd have to prepare for. We've had to do it for grandparents, etc. who were sick or older, but not at 10 year old.

Hug your kids tighter, folks.

One of my second cousins died at the age of 19 when I was in third grade. It was September. I remember coming him from school and my mother breaking the news to me beside the kitchen window. My mother had me write a note to Petey about how much he meant to me. Over the years I would ask random questions and then would also talk about what I was thinking. Petey was driving his motorcycle when he was kicked by a drunk driver on his way to college. He was the one I would hobbit Ung with and taught be how to shoot (aside from my dad)

Attn ReVDeac: As an aside, it’s been a while since I’ve been on the boards but I think you were walking into the hospital the other week when I was walking out. I’m sure you were there to see a parishioner. I was on my way out after spending 12 hours in icu. My dad was walking me out and I was still in shock or I would have introduced myself. You waved, which was very nice since I had spent the past 12 hours with my grandmother who was dying. I was on day 3 in icu.

Has anyone tried the Zipadee Zip and/or Magic Merlin thingy? I’m thinking about ditching the swaddle and wondering the best way to go about it. I think we went cold turkey with #1 and waited until 4-5 months and it wasn’t fun.

Has anyone tried the Zipadee Zip and/or Magic Merlin thingy? I’m thinking about ditching the swaddle and wondering the best way to go about it. I think we went cold turkey with #1 and waited until 4-5 months and it wasn’t fun.

We didn't use it but I know people that swore by the Merlin.

I think #1 transitioned from rock n play to crib in swaddle around 3 months. Then we unswaddled once she got settled into the crib.

#2 started squirming out of the swaddle while still bedside (and he was huge) so we moved to a sleep sack. That made his crib transition a little harder.

We went swaddle -> one arm swaddle -> sleep sack.

All worked well with us. Neither were big pacifier users so that was not an issue. The youngest (b) wanted out of sleep sack quicker and still often won't use any sheets unless really cold. Oldest was content in the sleep sack until she grew out of it.

We used halo sleep sack swaddle version and then went to sleep sack without the swaddle part. Thought about merlins but couldn't talk ourselves into it.

We used it and it worked ok - there was a period of time when my son was over being swaddled, and that seemed to be a good alternative. It also makes your child look hilarious.

Had 13 week ultrasound of baby #3 yesterday... Everything seems to be going well. Wife insisting that we not find out gender, but ultrasound tech said she was 90% sure. I think I just want to know... Mostly for planning purposes and also to not get my hopes up for a boy (we have 2 girls). Honestly, I don't overly care about the gender... I'd just like healthy.

Regardless... Three things I wanted to ask everyone:

1- We're moving the two girls (almost 4 and almost 2) into the same room in a few months and looking at bunk beds. Can anyone point me in the direction of something they've really liked? My wife found one on Pottery Barn Kids that she really likes, but I am not paying $1300+ for a bunk bed we'll probably only use for 2 years at the most. Wayfair has a bunch of stuff, but nothing we love.

2- Wife all of the sudden wants a Honda Odyssey. She has gone from "NEVER WILL I OWN A MINIVAN" to "WE MUST HAVE A MINIVAN" in record time. I actually support this, I think... I mean, with 3 kids a minivan makes a lot of sense. She has a Buick Enclave now, which is great for 2 kids... But 3? Anyone have an Odyssey and love it?

3- Almost 4 year old is still in a convertible car seat (Chicco Nextfit)... Seems like the general consensus is to leave her in it as long as possible. When did you all make the switch to a more booster-like product? I go a lot of places w/ just her and I now, since she's old enough to go out and do stuff with... Was thinking of getting a booster-type seat for my smaller car, but my wife thinks she's too young/small for that. ~41"/ ~35lbs

Had 13 week ultrasound of baby #3 yesterday... Everything seems to be going well. Wife insisting that we not find out gender, but ultrasound tech said she was 90% sure. I think I just want to know... Mostly for planning purposes and also to not get my hopes up for a boy (we have 2 girls). Honestly, I don't overly care about the gender... I'd just like healthy.

1- We're moving the two girls (almost 4 and almost 2) into the same room in a few months and looking at bunk beds. Can anyone point me in the direction of something they've really liked? My wife found one on Pottery Barn Kids that she really likes, but I am not paying $1300+ for a bunk bed we'll probably only use for 2 years at the most. Wayfair has a bunch of stuff, but nothing we love.

2- Wife all of the sudden wants a Honda Odyssey. She has gone from "NEVER WILL I OWN A MINIVAN" to "WE MUST HAVE A MINIVAN" in record time. I actually support this, I think... I mean, with 3 kids a minivan makes a lot of sense. She has a Buick Enclave now, which is great for 2 kids... But 3? Anyone have an Odyssey and love it?

3- Almost 4 year old is still in a convertible car seat (Chicco Nextfit)... Seems like the general consensus is to leave her in it as long as possible. When did you all make the switch to a more booster-like product? I go a lot of places w/ just her and I now, since she's old enough to go out and do stuff with... Was thinking of getting a booster-type seat for my smaller car, but my wife thinks she's too young/small for that. ~41"/ ~35lbs

I can only speak to the van - the Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna are the two I'd check out. I've driven and Odyssey before and thought it was pretty great, our neighbors have a newer Sienna and looooooooooove it. I think they're pretty similar.
Another thing to check out - Subaru is coming out with a third-row vehicle this fall (the Ascent). It looks pretty sweet, if you're not into the minivan thing. That said, I think minivans are awesome because it's really hard to ding the car next to you with doors flying open. Plus, you've got a lot more loading room with minivan doors, especially with kiddos in car seats. My girlfriend with twin babies and a toddler has expressed, "I do not know how we would do anything without this van." (she has an Odyssey, fwiw).

Godspeed!

Eff minivans. Get a Suburban.

We already have an Enclave w/ a 3rd row. The biggest issue we have is a very small garage... It barely fits, so getting the kids in and out is difficult.

With 2 kids, it's fine. Adding a 3rd makes it tougher. And I'm past the point in my life where I care about what people think about what I drive.*

*This would be my wife's minivan. I'll continue to drive my BMW because I am special.

I've always heard that the safest thing is to keep her in the car seat as long as she's comfortable. My six year old is still in one at 43 inches and pounds, although she's lobbying for a booster since that's what all her friends are in. As for the minivan - the correct answer is a 600 bhp AMG E-Class Wagon.

Back