• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I think this was discussed before but has anyone had any success with one of those toddler clocks that changes colors when they're "allowed" to get out of bed? Our 21mo old is in the middle of a relapse and is waking up multiple times a night but is def smart enough to understand something like "it's still sleep time until that clock is green". seems a little too good to be true. do they work?

I think ladydeac mentioned she uses one.

how much do you consider the 'it could be twins!' factor when deciding whether or not you want to have "just one more" ?

Had 13 week ultrasound of baby #3 yesterday... Everything seems to be going well. Wife insisting that we not find out gender, but ultrasound tech said she was 90% sure. I think I just want to know... Mostly for planning purposes and also to not get my hopes up for a boy (we have 2 girls). Honestly, I don't overly care about the gender... I'd just like healthy.

Regardless... Three things I wanted to ask everyone:

1- We're moving the two girls (almost 4 and almost 2) into the same room in a few months and looking at bunk beds. Can anyone point me in the direction of something they've really liked? My wife found one on Pottery Barn Kids that she really likes, but I am not paying $1300+ for a bunk bed we'll probably only use for 2 years at the most. Wayfair has a bunch of stuff, but nothing we love.

2- Wife all of the sudden wants a Honda Odyssey. She has gone from "NEVER WILL I OWN A MINIVAN" to "WE MUST HAVE A MINIVAN" in record time. I actually support this, I think... I mean, with 3 kids a minivan makes a lot of sense. She has a Buick Enclave now, which is great for 2 kids... But 3? Anyone have an Odyssey and love it?

3- Almost 4 year old is still in a convertible car seat (Chicco Nextfit)... Seems like the general consensus is to leave her in it as long as possible. When did you all make the switch to a more booster-like product? I go a lot of places w/ just her and I now, since she's old enough to go out and do stuff with... Was thinking of getting a booster-type seat for my smaller car, but my wife thinks she's too young/small for that. ~41"/ ~35lbs

1- Our nearly 5 year old sleeps on the bottom bunk of her bunk beds (we bought them for her new room when the now 1.5 year old was born with the thought they might eventually share a room - or if nothing else they are good for sleepovers). One thing I would caution is that most bunk beds I think recommend not sleeping on the top until 6 years old. That said, we really like ours. It has stairs up to the top instead of a ladder, has storage in the stairs, and storage under the bed (could also have put a trundle there).

DWF2114-2.jpg

2 - We got an Odyssey just before #2 was born (2 kids plus good-sized dog plus lots of junk enticed us to move up from the CRV). We LOVE it. All our friends who had minivans before us basically said it was the best decision they ever made. The "magic" doors are amazing for getting kids in and out easily. We usually keep the back seats folded down for extra storage and leave our strollers and stuff in there. But for 3 kids I've also seen people remove one of the middle seats, put two kids in the back and one in the remaining middle seats, and you have easy access to everyone.

3 - Our 4 (almost 5) year old is in some sort of 3 in 1 (Britax Frontier maybe?). It is a 5-point harness now, but can transition to a booster later. I think you would get a lot of use out of something like that and it seems more comfortable for kids than the convertibles. When we did some booster research the recommendations seemed to be to stay in 5-point as long as possible. But really not to do boosters under 40 lbs. Even if you can get the shoulder strap to hit in the right place on a kid, a 5-point is just so much safer.

Had 13 week ultrasound of baby #3 yesterday... Everything seems to be going well. Wife insisting that we not find out gender, but ultrasound tech said she was 90% sure. I think I just want to know... Mostly for planning purposes and also to not get my hopes up for a boy (we have 2 girls). Honestly, I don't overly care about the gender... I'd just like healthy.

Regardless... Three things I wanted to ask everyone:

1- We're moving the two girls (almost 4 and almost 2) into the same room in a few months and looking at bunk beds. Can anyone point me in the direction of something they've really liked? My wife found one on Pottery Barn Kids that she really likes, but I am not paying $1300+ for a bunk bed we'll probably only use for 2 years at the most. Wayfair has a bunch of stuff, but nothing we love.

2- Wife all of the sudden wants a Honda Odyssey. She has gone from "NEVER WILL I OWN A MINIVAN" to "WE MUST HAVE A MINIVAN" in record time. I actually support this, I think... I mean, with 3 kids a minivan makes a lot of sense. She has a Buick Enclave now, which is great for 2 kids... But 3? Anyone have an Odyssey and love it?

3- Almost 4 year old is still in a convertible car seat (Chicco Nextfit)... Seems like the general consensus is to leave her in it as long as possible. When did you all make the switch to a more booster-like product? I go a lot of places w/ just her and I now, since she's old enough to go out and do stuff with... Was thinking of getting a booster-type seat for my smaller car, but my wife thinks she's too young/small for that. ~41"/ ~35lbs

1- Our nearly 5 year old sleeps on the bottom bunk of her bunk beds (we bought them for her new room when the now 1.5 year old was born with the thought they might eventually share a room - or if nothing else they are good for sleepovers). One thing I would caution is that most bunk beds I think recommend not sleeping on the top until 6 years old. That said, we really like ours. It has stairs up to the top instead of a ladder, has storage in the stairs, and storage under the bed (could also have put a trundle there).

DWF2114-2.jpg

2 - We got an Odyssey just before #2 was born (2 kids plus good-sized dog plus lots of junk enticed us to move up from the CRV). We LOVE it. All our friends who had minivans before us basically said it was the best decision they ever made. The "magic" doors are amazing for getting kids in and out easily. We usually keep the back seats folded down for extra storage and leave our strollers and stuff in there. But for 3 kids I've also seen people remove one of the middle seats, put two kids in the back and one in the remaining middle seats, and you have easy access to everyone.

3 - Our 4 (almost 5) year old is in some sort of 3 in 1 (Britax Frontier maybe?). It is a 5-point harness now, but can transition to a booster later. I think you would get a lot of use out of something like that and it seems more comfortable for kids than the convertibles. When we did some booster research the recommendations seemed to be to stay in 5-point as long as possible. But really not to do boosters under 40 lbs. Even if you can get the shoulder strap to hit in the right place on a kid, a 5-point is just so much safer.

DWF2114-2.jpg

Moving back into our newly renovated house, and we have to buy, like, all the baby gates. Any feelings on pressure-mounted versus screwing them into the wall?

Moving back into our newly renovated house, and we have to buy, like, all the baby gates. Any feelings on pressure-mounted versus screwing them into the wall?

We had to buy two, and went with the Dreambaby Boston Metal gates. They can be used as pressure mounted or screwed. My biggest recommendation is go to Babies R' Us this weekend. They're liquidating a lot of their stock in the Toys R' Us bankruptcy, and they're being very generous with coupons. They even accept the 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupons. The gates were normally like $60 apiece, and we snagged them for $20 each.

Long-term ease but short term burden(screwing) v. short-term freedom but long-term burnden (pressure)...IMHO former >>>>> latter

i'm sure there is some discussion on this thread somewhere but does anyone have recs for convertible car seats?

we did not. I don't think that was available when we bought it. if you use it rear facing from birth it may be worth it, but we used the bsafe for the majority of his rear facing time

My daughter's school had a contest for Pi day to see who could recite the most digits of pi. She won from her Kindergarten class knowing 30 digits of pi. Tomorrow, she gets to go in front of the entire school to compete against all the other class winners. The overall winner gets to throw a pie in the principal's face. Given that this school goes up through 8th grade, I don't think she'll win this one but I'm super proud she won from her class.

My son is now engrossed in Octonauts - a Pit parenting favorite!

I love this wiki description: “The subject matter is reminiscent of Star Trek and Thunderbirds blended with Jacques Cousteau.“

Back