• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Octonauts is the GOAT little kids show. No question.

Wonder Pets and Special Agent OSO are distant contenders.

I miss octonauts. Once In preschool , my son had a clsssmate whose dad was a oceanographer and he was unaware of the octonauts... I made it my mission in life to turn him onto it!

We're still stuck on Daniel Tiger and Super Why (although doesn't watch either that much). Will have to sway her to Octonauts some time (or plan to get #2 into it)

my daughter jumped from Daniel Tiger to Pinkalicious (barf) and is now on Llama Llama, though she did spend about a week solely on that new Leap! movie

Since I aint awesomesauce parent...question for you all:

Lildude is 9 weeks, and is having a helluva time napping in the crib. Sleeps through the night in a pack and play in our room, and will sleep well during the day if held. We are trying to transition to the crib, and this is end of week 2 trying to establish daytime napping in crib. Some days will nap in crib, and if so it is usually a half hour. Any thoughts to help facilitate better day-time napping?

Lildude is 9 weeks, and is having a helluva time napping in the crib. Sleeps through the night in a pack and play in our room, and will sleep well during the day if held. We are trying to transition to the crib, and this is end of week 2 trying to establish daytime napping in crib. Some days will nap in crib, and if so it is usually a half hour. Any thoughts to help facilitate better day-time napping?

Mine is 10 months and has never taken to napping in the crib. She has been crushing 12+ hours a night in the crib since she was 3-4 months, but just never got the hang of daytime crib naps for some reason. I think she does better in her crib at daycare, but never wants to do it at home.

Mine is 10 months and has never taken to napping in the crib. She has been crushing 12+ hours a night in the crib since she was 3-4 months, but just never got the hang of daytime crib naps for some reason. I think she does better in her crib at daycare, but never wants to do it at home.

Will she nap somewhere else during the day at home, or does she not nap during the day at home? Our lildude seems tired and will nap but really hates doing said napping in said crib.

Will she nap somewhere else during the day at home, or does she not nap during the day at home? Our lildude seems tired and will nap but really hates doing said napping in said crib.

She will nap on top of one of us and potentially stay asleep for 1-1.5 hours, but if we put her in the crib or we are lucky if we she will sleep for 30 minutes.

Maybe go straight to nights in crib room in pack n play. New bed and room could both be in play. One might end up an easier transition.

Put him to bed a little earlier at night. It actually worked for all three of mine when they wouldn’t nap well.

In a potential departure from all the happy discussion on this thread, have any of you parents had to deal with IEP or 504 plans for your kids in school? My older daughter is struggling and we are trying to get the IEP process under way but the school is being resistant.

In a potential departure from all the happy discussion on this thread, have any of you parents had to deal with IEP or 504 plans for your kids in school? My older daughter is struggling and we are trying to get the IEP process under way but the school is being resistant.

I work for a school in special ed (SLP). Put it in writing that you request a psychoeducational assessment. Then the school essentially has to do it and won't be able to keep putting things off. Know that there is a 60 day timeline for the assessment to get done so depending on when your school year ends it may roll into next school year. PM me if you have more questions!

Yes. You have to know your rights and stay after the school to get them to work with you.

The crib may be feeling too open after the closer quarters of a pack n play. Is the baby swaddled? I’ve seen some people roll up 2 towels and put them under the sheet in the crib to form a little nest so baby feels more secure. Then slowly move them out farther apart or try cold turkey once baby is more used to the crib. You could also try sleeping with the crib sheet or putting something else that smells like you in there so baby has a familiar scent. One thing I thought about doing when ours was that age and transitioning was to put the pack n play in the nursery for a while to have some familiarity.

Is any daytime napping disrupted at 30 min unless being held? In that case it seems like a switching cycles issue. How long do you wait before ending the nap? Ours often wakes up around 45 minutes and fusses for a few minutes but then falls back to sleep.

I work for a school in special ed (SLP). Put it in writing that you request a psychoeducational assessment. Then the school essentially has to do it and won't be able to keep putting things off. Know that there is a 60 day timeline for the assessment to get done so depending on when your school year ends it may roll into next school year. PM me if you have more questions!

We submitted a written request in January and finally had our meeting to determine if assessment is warranted yesterday. The school really pushed the 504 plan over the IEP plan. Do they get some benefit from that? My daughter has depression, anxiety and mild ADHD (probably a manifestation of anxiety) and has had some serious emotional outbursts at school. I am worried it will just get worse and so want an IEP in place now, but the school says she’d need to be designated as “ED” for that and strongly suggested a 504 instead. I am skeptical of their motives but they did say that the ED label would stick with her for life and could cause limitations later in life. Is that true?

Yes. You have to know your rights and stay after the school to get them to work with you.

Thanks Ph, my mom’s a lawyer and has been bombarding me with legal advice for past two months. She did a bunch of probono education legal advocacy a decade ago. The school system will smile to your face, shake your hand and tell you everything is going to be fine, but then drag their feet as much as possible.

The crib may be feeling too open after the closer quarters of a pack n play. Is the baby swaddled? I’ve seen some people roll up 2 towels and put them under the sheet in the crib to form a little nest so baby feels more secure. Then slowly move them out farther apart or try cold turkey once baby is more used to the crib. You could also try sleeping with the crib sheet or putting something else that smells like you in there so baby has a familiar scent. One thing I thought about doing when ours was that age and transitioning was to put the pack n play in the nursery for a while to have some familiarity.

Is any daytime napping disrupted at 30 min unless being held? In that case it seems like a switching cycles issue. How long do you wait before ending the nap? Ours often wakes up around 45 minutes and fusses for a few minutes but then falls back to sleep.

Echoing AWAR's advice. We did it for bedtime that way. First put kid in his/her own room in the rock n play (or PnP in your case) that they were used to next to our bed. And when that went ok, then transitioned to the crib with a rolled up beach towel making a horseshoe shape under the sheet to try to give some feeling of closeness in the big crib. Not my pic, but like this:

e24d87ef0278834f5efc6303270ad0d3.jpg

We also put something under two legs at the head of the crib to give it a little tilt more like the rock n play. But the PnP is flat, so that may not be an issue. When they get used to the horseshoe and/or start rolling around more, you can take it away.

Back