• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I also stuck the crib in the corner and then baby perpendicular in the corner of the crib so she felt some closeness at her head and feet. Now I can put her in there any which way and she turns herself around so she’s perpendicular again and her feet are resting on the side of the crib.

Probably all overkill but damn, baby sleep accounts for like 90% of any anxious feelings I have.

We submitted a written request in January and finally had our meeting to determine if assessment is warranted yesterday. The school really pushed the 504 plan over the IEP plan. Do they get some benefit from that? My daughter has depression, anxiety and mild ADHD (probably a manifestation of anxiety) and has had some serious emotional outbursts at school. I am worried it will just get worse and so want an IEP in place now, but the school says she’d need to be designated as “ED” for that and strongly suggested a 504 instead. I am skeptical of their motives but they did say that the ED label would stick with her for life and could cause limitations later in life. Is that true?

If the school did not respond to your request for assessment with a written response within 15 days of your request they are out of compliance.
A 504 plan is generally more for accommodations than for receiving direct services. Our teams do try to avoid ED qualifications if possible and will use Other Health Impaired when possible (usually for ADHD). I'm not a psych so not that well versed in the long term ramifications of an ED qualification. One other thing to research is the protections that special education students have in terms of suspensions/expulsions since she has been having some outbursts. A 504 plan may cover her needs but there is no reason to not proceed with a special education assessment if you feel she needs more direct services (mental health services can be provided but may be non existent or very minimal depending on your district.)

I assume you've see it but Wright's law is an excellent website for all things special ed law related.

If the school did not respond to your request for assessment with a written response within 15 days of your request they are out of compliance.
A 504 plan is generally more for accommodations than for receiving direct services. Our teams do try to avoid ED qualifications if possible and will use Other Health Impaired when possible (usually for ADHD). I'm not a psych so not that well versed in the long term ramifications of an ED qualification. One other thing to research is the protections that special education students have in terms of suspensions/expulsions since she has been having some outbursts. A 504 plan may cover her needs but there is no reason to not proceed with a special education assessment if you feel she needs more direct services (mental health services can be provided but may be non existent or very minimal depending on your district.)

I assume you've see it but Wright's law is an excellent website for all things special ed law related.

Thanks for this info. We are proceeding with the Special Ed assessment and in the mean time putting into place a 504 and a Behavioral Intervention Plan. I don't think we are asking for or expecting "direct services" other than regular check-ins with the school counselor, we mostly need accommodations for her irritability and mood swings, like allowing her to skip a quiz if she is having an anxiety attack or allowing her to not sit next to specific kids that piss her off, etc. (Her teacher has been doing this voluntarily and has been great.) The school said that probably doesn't rise to the level of special ed and an IEP. Your comments pretty much back that up. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

Birdman, my wife's job does some work with school districts and special ed. Based on what you mentioned in your posts, she also thinks a 504 is the way to go. With the evaluation, there are very strict guidelines set by the federal government that schools have to follow, so after going through the evaluation your daughter may or may not qualify for spec ed services ( which are what the IEP would implement). A 504 would be a way right now to get those accommodations you mentioned.

Also, there are exceptions to every rule, but as a group special ed teachers and school psychologists are dedicated professionals who honestly want to help every child, but are sometimes limited to who and how they can help by the laws in place. My wife has some true horror stories about parents making life absolute hell for well meaning teachers .

Last edited:
Finally made it home!
2429224d3af749c045944841fc4ed9c6.jpg

Parent thoughts today:

- gotta love figuring out the baby just spit up because you hear it hitting the floor behind you or feel it dripping on your ankles

- how the hell can a ~4 year recognize pretty much all 3 seasons worth of Octonaut episodes just by the little thumbnail pic on Netflix? Where do these abilities go? Does your brain just get busy with actual important things?

Parent thoughts today:

- gotta love figuring out the baby just spit up because you hear it hitting the floor behind you or feel it dripping on your ankles

- how the hell can a ~4 year recognize pretty much all 3 seasons worth of Octonaut episodes just by the little thumbnail pic on Netflix? Where do these abilities go? Does your brain just get busy with actual important things?

I don't know about "important" things, but yes.

BTW, I think finding out about the spookfish, blobfish, and water bears qualifies as actually important.

Sure, learning about them is important, that’s why I love him watching that show. But it’s not important to be able to see a tiny picture of the Octonauts and recognize it’s the kelp forest episode. The creature usually isn’t in the thumbnail.

In new neighborhood, there is 4-year-old girl directly across the street who is almost exactly the same age as my daughter. Funny to think they will, in time, either become best friends or arch nemeses. There is really no other possibility.

In new neighborhood, there is 4-year-old girl directly across the street who is almost exactly the same age as my daughter. Funny to think they will, in time, either become best friends or arch nemeses. There is really no other possibility.

Yeah, PM's daughter is surrounded by neighbor boys at our house... all I can do is assume that one of them will be the reason she tries to sneak out ~10 years.

Hummed/improvised a solid Tom Sawyer duet with my son this morning, I Love You Man style. Parenting!

Any of you folks dealing with this stomach bug going around? Half our daycare is out right now. Both of my poor kids are disasters. Pray for Mojo.

Man, you people with young kids have no idea what's coming your way when they get to middle school.

I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. Dealing with this shit and puke covered bridge at the moment.

Back