• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

That is every night for me.

Last night, I fell asleep on the couch. My body won the battle.

Just hitting a softball. You can change the emphasis to hear what you want.

summer in Oregon is bad because the sun stays up until damn near 10pm, and naturally the kids stay up later with it (or at least have a harder time falling asleep). I definitely notice, both for alone time and also for them being grumpy/tired.

Hosted a 9 year old birthday sleepover starting at 5:00 pm. Nine kids. Four left by 10 and the rest stayed. Only one is still awake. Somehow the worst part of the day was the 5 hours before the party with my maniac boys who couldn't calmly wait for the party to start.

that's when you just get 3 tvs, a case of mountain dew, lock the door and let them play smash brothers all night

jamesda is a mountain dew meme. One of his two claims to fame on these boards.

Hosted a 9 year old birthday sleepover starting at 5:00 pm. Nine kids. Four left by 10 and the rest stayed. Only one is still awake. Somehow the worst part of the day was the 5 hours before the party with my maniac boys who couldn't calmly wait for the party to start.

lol that's like expecting kids to quietly/easily go to bed on Christmas Eve.

My 1 year old just started legit walking, not just the 2-3 steps and sit back down thing, and it's freaking exhausting.

My 1 year old just started legit walking, not just the 2-3 steps and sit back down thing, and it's freaking exhausting.

Do you think it's more exhausting than when h/she started crawling?

I feel like I've had this conversation with a lot of people because when ours each started walking we kept getting the "oh, you're in trouble now!" lines. But I found that the transition from being a potted plant to crawling was more exhausting than the transition from crawling to walking. Because starting to walk actually briefly slowed them down a bit at first (fast crawlers) - and also kept them from getting quite as dirty (hands and knees).

I think it’s more exhausting. There was at least a transition period from potted plant to slow crawler that gradually ramped up the speed. Then one day the kid takes their first step and the next week they’re fast drunk stumbling.

we got the Shitty Sleeper card but in a cosmic trade our daughter never turned into a run/climb/jump everywhere at 100 mph toddler. she's very reasonable and takes caution going up and down steps/ledges.

Do you think it's more exhausting than when h/she started crawling?

I feel like I've had this conversation with a lot of people because when ours each started walking we kept getting the "oh, you're in trouble now!" lines. But I found that the transition from being a potted plant to crawling was more exhausting than the transition from crawling to walking. Because starting to walk actually briefly slowed them down a bit at first (fast crawlers) - and also kept them from getting quite as dirty (hands and knees).

For us it's way worse. She went from 0-100 mph and constantly wants to be put down in the open so she can run into another room and open all the cabinets or whatever. And our entire first floor is hardwood or tile and not terribly baby proofed, so it feels pretty stressful a lot of the time.

Back