• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

my (almost) 5 month old starting making these crazy raptor-like noises every morning that fill up the whole house

we have some other baby friends in the area and no one else has ever heard anything like it; it's weird but pretty funny

Dinos unite! My daughter is about that age, and her coos sound pterodactyl-esque.

Do you think it's more exhausting than when h/she started crawling?

I feel like I've had this conversation with a lot of people because when ours each started walking we kept getting the "oh, you're in trouble now!" lines. But I found that the transition from being a potted plant to crawling was more exhausting than the transition from crawling to walking. Because starting to walk actually briefly slowed them down a bit at first (fast crawlers) - and also kept them from getting quite as dirty (hands and knees).

Oh, walking feels WAY worse than crawling. I mean, it's awesome to see them go. But it just means you have less safe places in your house.

I'm on the road this summer, and it's been three weeks since I've seen my son. He and my wife are coming up on Thursday and will be here for almost two weeks, but I don't know that I've ever missed a person more. This really sucks.

Oh, walking feels WAY worse than crawling. I mean, it's awesome to see them go. But it just means you have less safe places in your house.

That's a fair point about safe places (she says after her nearly 2 year old climbed on top of the kitchen table this morning and started dumping salt out of the salt shaker)

Our little bastards have a plethora of Nerf guns, including one that is fully automatic, powered by 6 D batteries, and holds 100 balls that shoot out at like 50mph. Since it is summer vacation and they have little to do, they enjoy running into a room and unloading it on each other like Charlie just ambushed the squadron back in Nam. So over the weekend one of them sprays the entire 100 balls around the room at the other, so the balls are fucking everywhere. Apparently a few of them got up over the top of and inside a 6' halogen floor lamp. So a few hours later on Father's Day all of a sudden the lamp starts pouring out black smoke and flames start shooting out the top. Luckily we were in the room and got it outside before it burned the house down. Managed to save the lamp, but needless to say that gun has been put away.

my (almost) 5 month old starting making these crazy raptor-like noises every morning that fill up the whole house

we have some other baby friends in the area and no one else has ever heard anything like it; it's weird but pretty funny

Took my little ladies to the Nature & Science museum to see dinosaurs and the littlest one (13 months) would growl back at the exhibits that featured dinosaurs making noises. Simultaneously adorable and hilarious.

My 16 month old makes a crazy raptor screech when her older sister takes the toy she’s playing with.

Our little bastards have a plethora of Nerf guns, including one that is fully automatic, powered by 6 D batteries, and holds 100 balls that shoot out at like 50mph. Since it is summer vacation and they have little to do, they enjoy running into a room and unloading it on each other like Charlie just ambushed the squadron back in Nam. So over the weekend one of them sprays the entire 100 balls around the room at the other, so the balls are fucking everywhere. Apparently a few of them got up over the top of and inside a 6' halogen floor lamp. So a few hours later on Father's Day all of a sudden the lamp starts pouring out black smoke and flames start shooting out the top. Luckily we were in the room and got it outside before it burned the house down. Managed to save the lamp, but needless to say that gun has been put away.

LOL...this sounds like my house except we only have the nerf darts.

Nerf darts are scattered all over my house from the sleepover. One of the dogs eats them. We’ve found blue and orange poops in the yard.

I’m sure this has been touched on before, but recently we’ve started my son on Sesame Street - am I the only one annoyed by how Elmo-centric the whole thing is? I want more Big Bird/Grover/Oscar/Bert & Ernie.

The Count pretty much carried Sesame Street for three seasons while Big Bird was in and out of rehab.

survived 13 consecutive days + cross-country flights with PM's kids.

whoever has previously stated that vacations with kids are not exactly relaxing was not lying.

lol

s-l300.jpg

On that topic, we are taking an 11 week old on a flight next month (2.5 hour flight time or so) - any helpful tips? Just pray?

On that topic, we are taking an 11 week old on a flight next month (2.5 hour flight time or so) - any helpful tips? Just pray?

Try to nurse or give a bottle during take off and landing - sucking on a nipple can help the baby regulate the pressure in their ears. Our kids were a dream to fly with at that age - just nursed and slept the whole flight.

I will say the most brilliant aspect of the trip was having Harry Potter on CD to listen to in the car; both kids were silent and left each other alone for two 4-hour car trips (Raleigh to OBX, then back to Raleigh).

The actual time at the beach house wasn't too bad, other than constantly making sure an adult was 'on duty' - there were eight kids in our house alone ranging from 3mo to 16yrs, and between the beach and then the pool at our house there was a 'constant vigilance' vibe to everything because of the kids/water factor.
The only *really* rough day was when we went to Hatteras Lighthouse; it was stupid hot, the kids were days into beach vaca and just exhausted from so much activity and then staying up too late with their cousins, and girl child was not only exceptionally cranky but also extra sassy/full of attitude. Boy child was just being a massive whiner. Pretty sure more than once PM and I contemplated leaving the kids behind and driving away. Added to that was the fact I was coming down with a massive cold, so not only was it hot but I was also getting feverish hot flashes. The lighthouse was cool (we all went up to the top w/out issue), but I can't exactly say we had fun that day.

Back