• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I will say the most brilliant aspect of the trip was having Harry Potter on CD to listen to in the car; both kids were silent and left each other alone for two 4-hour car trips (Raleigh to OBX, then back to Raleigh).

The actual time at the beach house wasn't too bad, other than constantly making sure an adult was 'on duty' - there were eight kids in our house alone ranging from 3mo to 16yrs, and between the beach and then the pool at our house there was a 'constant vigilance' vibe to everything because of the kids/water factor.
The only *really* rough day was when we went to Hatteras Lighthouse; it was stupid hot, the kids were days into beach vaca and just exhausted from so much activity and then staying up too late with their cousins, and girl child was not only exceptionally cranky but also extra sassy/full of attitude. Boy child was just being a massive whiner. Pretty sure more than once PM and I contemplated leaving the kids behind and driving away. Added to that was the fact I was coming down with a massive cold, so not only was it hot but I was also getting feverish hot flashes. The lighthouse was cool (we all went up to the top w/out issue), but I can't exactly say we had fun that day.

where on OBX were you at?

We’re hopping on a plane with my 3 year old and 16 month old next week. Always an enjoyable experience.

My kids are pretty good on planes. Hotel rooms and cars are pretty bad.

We’re hopping on a plane with my 3 year old and 16 month old next week. Always an enjoyable experience.

We have avoided having to take our kids on planes thus far (thanks to family living within driving distance). Flying to Utah from BWI in late August with a just over 5 year old and not quite 2 year old. Not worried about the older. And hoping the younger will be able to be plied with screen time. He's just such a non-stop, moving, PITA most of the time.

3 yr old will probably be happy watching videos, 16 mo will probably sleep if you time it right.

the stress of anticipation of a disaster is worse than the actual outcomes of all but two of the 12+ flights we've done with our now 2 yr old; 8 of which were 5+ hours

We have avoided having to take our kids on planes thus far (thanks to family living within driving distance). Flying to Utah from BWI in late August with a just over 5 year old and not quite 2 year old. Not worried about the older. And hoping the younger will be able to be plied with screen time. He's just such a non-stop, moving, PITA most of the time.

Just flew to RDU from Salt Lake City on Delta yesterday. My kids loved playing tic tac toe against each other on the headrest screens. Neither touched their Nintendo Switch which is like what it’s for but whatever.

we had the lengthy drive to OBX and my wife is in charge of downloading stuff to the ipad for the kiddo. we get downt he road and she fires up the ipad and says "why can't i see the shows i downloaded?"

"what do you mean?

"i downloaded a bunch of stuff on my phone last night but it's not showing up on the ipad?"

source.gif

we had the lengthy drive to OBX and my wife is in charge of downloading stuff to the ipad for the kiddo. we get downt he road and she fires up the ipad and says "why can't i see the shows i downloaded?"

"what do you mean?

"i downloaded a bunch of stuff on my phone last night but it's not showing up on the ipad?"

source.gif

Use your phone as a hotspot and download again...uggh

Seems worth it to take 5-10 minutes to stop at Starbucks or McDonald's to download them again.

or just hand kid the phone, which is what we did. a little life lesson for the ITCwife to boot

"what do you mean?

source.gif

If you have an iPhone, using AirDrop you can copy to the iPad in literally one click.

she had "downloaded" amazon prime stuff and netflix stuff; not iTunes stuff. no way to push that to an iPad. it's an older one and we don't have it connected to 4G.

Just a tech detail that probably makes everybody say "shut up nerd". AirDrop works over BlueTooth. This is just for anyone that happens to be in a situation where this is helpful.

Louis, you have repeated, serious, growing anger issues towards someone you don't know and have never even spoken with.

I promise RJ never kicked your dog nor fucked your wife/girlfriend.

You need serious and immediate professional help.

Ewww. Didn’t click on any of the videos but the description is messed up. Are those apps are free? If so, how are they generating revenue?

Back