• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

We use all free and clear or Charlie's. We haven't had any issues with staining. We do a pre-rinse, wash and line dry the covers. Strip every once in a while.

Two questions:

1. What detergent/wash process do you cloth diaperers use?

2. Have any of you taken any childbirth prep/newborn keeping alive classes in the area that you would recommend?

Another vote for the Rockin Green, and a Bum Genius sprayer on the toilet to rinse. We did the class at Women's Hospital (one on birth, one on breastfeeding/bottles), it was helpful, but nothing like taking her home that first day and realizing that it's on now.

Also, pro tip: babies can get fevers that are higher than adults. Our daughter was maybe 10 months old and had a fever of 104 in the middle of the night. I thought "shit, she's frying her brain and this is life or death." So we rush to the ER, they're not at all impressed that she's got a fever of 104, tell us to take a seat and someone will be with us. I'm flipping out because 104 for an adult is serious, turns out, babies can have temps that high and it's not critical (though still need to have Motrin around and monitor it).

Also, pro tip: babies can get fevers that are higher than adults. Our daughter was maybe 10 months old and had a fever of 104 in the middle of the night. I thought "shit, she's frying her brain and this is life or death." So we rush to the ER, they're not at all impressed that she's got a fever of 104, tell us to take a seat and someone will be with us. I'm flipping out because 104 for an adult is serious, turns out, babies can have temps that high and it's not critical (though still need to have Motrin around and monitor it).

You can alternate Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours I think.

Another vote for the Rockin Green, and a Bum Genius sprayer on the toilet to rinse. We did the class at Women's Hospital (one on birth, one on breastfeeding/bottles), it was helpful, but nothing like taking her home that first day and realizing that it's on now.

We don't have a sprayer because of the way out toilets are set up. But if you want one, you can buy the same thing much cheaper if it's not BG brand/called a diaper sprayer (personal care sprayer works iirc).

My one and only plug, if you want a natural both, get a doula. She can help you find classes that suit what you want. But if you read some books (and I have lots I can lend you) I feel like the classes are good but not earth shattering info.

Ok I lied, one more post about doulas. If cost is preventing you, I know lots of lovely women working toward certification who would do it for cheap/free

Just saw this thread and read the whole thing... we had a daughter (our first child) on 3/31. Nice to hear others had similar experiences to what we've gone through and what we are about to go through. Have really enjoyed the recommendations, as well.

Lack of sleep has been the biggest issue for us in the first two weeks... she's extraordinarily easy during the day, but still only sleeps 2-3 hours at a time at night. Definitely more active at night than in the daytime. My wife likes to sleep 8-10 hours a night, so this has been a huge adjustment for her.

I can't believe so many of you use cloth diapers... I know nothing about them, just assumed it was a lot more work for no better result.

The wife did a perfect job with just a doctor, nurse, and myself. A doula seems like a huge waste of cash unless you are a lazy partner. We looked up classes to take on our own. We both took the Birthing and Breastfeeding courses at the women's hospital. She took an additional CPR class and I went to Daddy Boot Camp.

The wife did a perfect job with just a doctor, nurse, and myself. A doula seems like a huge waste of cash unless you are a lazy partner. We looked up classes to take on our own. We both took the Birthing and Breastfeeding courses at the women's hospital. She took an additional CPR class and I went to Daddy Boot Camp.

We were wanting to go natural, so the doula was very helpful with that aspect of it, as the classes assume (at least what we attended) you're going epidural.

Is there any huge plus (or rule) about going to classes at the hospital where you're delivering? Alamance classes are free so I was thinking about going to one of those with my SIL who is also expecting but didn't know if that was taboo since I won't be delivering there.

Is there any huge plus (or rule) about going to classes at the hospital where you're delivering? Alamance classes are free so I was thinking about going to one of those with my SIL who is also expecting but didn't know if that was taboo since I won't be delivering there.

At Women's in Greensboro they don't care, and have no way of knowing. You could be planning to deliver at Alamance and go into labor when you're in Winston or Gboro.

At Women's in Greensboro they don't care, and have no way of knowing. You could be planning to deliver at Alamance and go into labor when you're in Winston or Gboro.

Good point - didn't know if there was anything helpful about doing it at the hospital you're planning to be at. I think I may do some at Alamance then.

My hospital had classes that also had a tour of the maternity ward, so it was nice to see the delivery and post partum rooms before heading there to give birth. There was also a nurse from that hospital on hand to answer questions. But I think they also had tours separate from the class, so you could probably do both.

Some insurance plans will pay for your delivery copay if you go to a pre-birth class too, I believe.

Just saw this thread and read the whole thing... we had a daughter (our first child) on 3/31. Nice to hear others had similar experiences to what we've gone through and what we are about to go through. Have really enjoyed the recommendations, as well.

Lack of sleep has been the biggest issue for us in the first two weeks... she's extraordinarily easy during the day, but still only sleeps 2-3 hours at a time at night. Definitely more active at night than in the daytime. My wife likes to sleep 8-10 hours a night, so this has been a huge adjustment for her.

I can't believe so many of you use cloth diapers... I know nothing about them, just assumed it was a lot more work for no better result.

Our (second) son was born on 3/31. Congrats!

Cloth diapers are cheaper, better for the environment and not really all that much more work. Definitely something to consider, plus you can use them with your second (and maybe third? Too soon? Probably.)

The adjustment to the lack of sleep was tougher with our first than it has been this time around. But yeah, waking up every 2 hours and nursing for 30 min and going back to sleep for an hour and a half takes it's toll on anyone. Matt has been really great about letting me sleep in or nap and taking care of the toddler.

Any time you can let her rest, it will score you points, I promise and someday you will feel like you are getting enough sleep to cash them in.

My oldest turns 16 in July. Of course, he is all about getting his driver's license and being independent.

For those of you who have been through this, what advice/experiences can you share about the limits and restrictions that you set for the first year or so that your child started driving?

Having been a teenage driver before, and knowing what a relative idiot that I was at that age, I am getting nervous.

Back