• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

When my last monitor died I just never replaced them. Arguably too early as the kids were a bit older than 3 and 1 at the time. The three year old hasn’t had a monitor in a long time and it’s been a few months since the baby’s monitor died too.

Spent an hour and fifteen minutes last night jabbing an earring back through stepdaughter's fresh-ish piercing, which had been without an earring in it for about 24 hours.

Never. Again.

Ugh, not a good email to get from daycare:

Good morning,
We are sending a quick note to let you know that several children and staff are suffering from tummy troubles, specifically vomiting.
We are busy cleaning and sanitizing today.
Stay well!

Communicable Disease

Exposure Notice

Your child was exposed to Gastroenteritus on

Friday, October 19, 2018.

Ugh, not a good email to get from daycare:

Good morning,
We are sending a quick note to let you know that several children and staff are suffering from tummy troubles, specifically vomiting.
We are busy cleaning and sanitizing today.
Stay well!

Communicable Disease

Exposure Notice

Your child was exposed to Gastroenteritus on

Friday, October 19, 2018

i do enjoy that perfunctory auto-filled "you're fucked" line

Spent an hour and fifteen minutes last night jabbing an earring back through stepdaughter's fresh-ish piercing, which had been without an earring in it for about 24 hours.

Never. Again.

Ouch. For both of you.

Better go ahead and plan to be sick a day next week. Doesn’t matter how much you wash your hands, quarantine yourself from your kid or anything. May be Monday, may be next Friday but eventually you will get the stomach bug once it shows up in daycare.

we've used these $20 ones from Target after my wife started getting those weird/stalker phone calls and we canned our video monitor. they work fine and we don't feel bad if we leave them somewhere

https://www.target.com/p/vtech-digital-audio-baby-monitor-with-high-quality-sound-dm111/-/A-15090828

eta. though don't leave them on and sitting on the charging station all the time or the battery will get destroyed and you'll lose the portability function, if that's important.

Are we just going to gloss over the weird phone call thing, people? Stalkerish phone calls?! And they were related to the monitor or it just felt more creepy after getting them?

We've got a set of the V-tech DM221 monitors, and we haven't had any issues with them 6 weeks in. A bit more expensive than those 111s, but they do have a talk balk function which is useful if one of you is in the nursery and the other needs something.

We have these as well. They’re fine, do the trick. We’ve had them for almost a year. I find it annoying that the parent unit beeps if it’s still on when the other unit is turned off and that it turns itself on when you plug it in... and then beeps because the other unit is off. Small inconveniences for the price, though.

Are we just going to gloss over the weird phone call thing, people? Stalkerish phone calls?! And they were related to the monitor or it just felt more creepy after getting them?

i mentioned it on the boards back when it happened but for about two weeks (plus a few random calls after an intense period) my wife would get random, blocked number phone calls from a guy who would breath heavily and say creepy stuff in this babytalk, weird slow cadence, like "i'm a bay-beeee maa-maa...feeed meeee". the calls came any hour morning, afternoon and frequently during the night, but almost always around when my wife would (breast) feed our daughter. he would also leave voicemails.

we called the police who did basically nothing. verizon couldnt/wouldnt release the inbound caller tracking without a subpoena and forward call tracking doesn't allow to identify blocked numbers unless you get, again, a subpoena. At least according to the police officer assigned to the case.

i did determine that our monitor at the time could be picked up from around a block from our home in any direction, so we decided to assume he was hanging around monitoring baby monitors and also assumed he was an employee at her place who knew she had a baby, bc he would also call when she would walk over to the daycare to feed her mid-day.

we switched monitors and she changed her VM greeting and blocked all calls for a month and the calls "stopped". Police department basically just shrugged about the whole thing and blamed it on a friend playing a prank. It was not a great month. The range on the cheap monitor barely reaches to the street.

Better go ahead and plan to be sick a day next week. Doesn’t matter how much you wash your hands, quarantine yourself from your kid or anything. May be Monday, may be next Friday but eventually you will get the stomach bug once it shows up in daycare.

Yeah, so you were right about this. Fuck.

i mentioned it on the boards back when it happened but for about two weeks (plus a few random calls after an intense period) my wife would get random, blocked number phone calls from a guy who would breath heavily and say creepy stuff in this babytalk, weird slow cadence, like "i'm a bay-beeee maa-maa...feeed meeee". the calls came any hour morning, afternoon and frequently during the night, but almost always around when my wife would (breast) feed our daughter. he would also leave voicemails.

we called the police who did basically nothing. verizon couldnt/wouldnt release the inbound caller tracking without a subpoena and forward call tracking doesn't allow to identify blocked numbers unless you get, again, a subpoena. At least according to the police officer assigned to the case.

i did determine that our monitor at the time could be picked up from around a block from our home in any direction, so we decided to assume he was hanging around monitoring baby monitors and also assumed he was an employee at her place who knew she had a baby, bc he would also call when she would walk over to the daycare to feed her mid-day.

we switched monitors and she changed her VM greeting and blocked all calls for a month and the calls "stopped". Police department basically just shrugged about the whole thing and blamed it on a friend playing a prank. It was not a great month. The range on the cheap monitor barely reaches to the street.

holy balls.

never used a monitor as when those little fuckers are upset it’s pretty obvious

Wowww. I’m sorry that happened. That’s really messed up. I don’t blame her for getting rid of it. I didn’t get a video monitor after reading some story about parents hearing a voice saying their baby’s name in the nursery through the monitor but I felt like I was prob being paranoid over an urban legend. Yikes.

Jesus ITC, thats fucked. Really sorry that happened to your family. My wife refused to get the baby monitor that uses your cell phone as a screen, for that very reason.

A couple I know were travelling with their young child in the UK. Friends had suggested a certain lovely remote inn and to ask for the room above the pub because it was within baby monitor range. The room and pub were as good as advertised. I can just hear the child being told years from now about how mommy and daddy went downstairs to have a nightcap while she was sleeping away. These are great parents and my only thought is "never in America."

We've got a set of the V-tech DM221 monitors, and we haven't had any issues with them 6 weeks in. A bit more expensive than those 111s, but they do have a talk balk function which is useful if one of you is in the nursery and the other needs something.

We have these as well. They’re fine, do the trick. We’ve had them for almost a year. I find it annoying that the parent unit beeps if it’s still on when the other unit is turned off and that it turns itself on when you plug it in... and then beeps because the other unit is off. Small inconveniences for the price, though.

And also we're starting to notice the battery on the monitor not lasting through the night. Lame.

A couple I know were travelling with their young child in the UK. Friends had suggested a certain lovely remote inn and to ask for the room above the pub because it was within baby monitor range. The room and pub were as good as advertised. I can just hear the child being told years from now about how mommy and daddy went downstairs to have a nightcap while she was sleeping away. These are great parents and my only thought is "never in America."

We've definitely tested the monitor's range down to the beach from our oceanfront house so we could sit out and read during nap time. And similarly sat around a firepit drinking in the middle of our street after a block party with a bunch of neighbors (and other parents) when we realized our monitors would all reach if we were in the middle.

Back