• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

The wife did a perfect job with just a doctor, nurse, and myself. A doula seems like a huge waste of cash unless you are a lazy partner. We looked up classes to take on our own. We both took the Birthing and Breastfeeding courses at the women's hospital. She took an additional CPR class and I went to Daddy Boot Camp.
A doula is there to support you as the partner as well. We are trained extensively on birth, pain management, massage, lactation, etc. sometimes it's nice to know there's someone in the room who can help you with what to do for your wife and assure you that things are going well and you are doing a good job. It's hard to see your partner go through labor and having support from a professional (who wants you to have your ideal birth experience) can go a long way.

I can spout a lot of stats as to why a doula is beneficial to the laboring woman, especially one who doesn't want to use drugs, but one of the best parts for me was that Matt could go to the bathroom or call our parents and I was never alone for a second of labor. That and we were able to employ lots of pain management techniques that one person alone couldn't have done.

It may not have been necessary for you, and I am clearly biased but I think every birth deserves a doula and that a good doula is worth every penny. And Matt was far far far from a lazy partner.

I have a 9 month old who yesterday had an allergic reaction to eggs (technically the protein in eggs). It was nothing scary, simply some hives where she had gotten egg on her face during eating. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've heard many kids grow out of it after 1. I'm more concerned that allergies come in bunches, i.e. peanut butter, shellfish, etc.

We had one allergy reaction to some Chinese food that my 3 year old ate. Gave her some benadryl to get rid of the hives and it hasn't happened since.

Both of my boys have had similar minor reactions to cinnamon, but it went away probably within a year and they've had no other reactions. YMMV though.

thanks for posting.

Damn I haven't been more excited about anything in my life than this baby.

It will be even better than you are imagining and that is the awesome payoff of being a parent.

thanks for posting.

Damn I haven't been more excited about anything in my life than this baby.

You're probably going to have to ease off the wake and bake routine, but you can still do the reefer at night from time to time after your peanut is asleep.

Even so there's going to be a whole lot of wake with a new baby.

The Chinese food reaction could be a peanut allergy if the child hasn't had much peanut exposure.

You're probably going to have to ease off the wake and bake routine, but you can still do the reefer at night from time to time after your peanut is asleep.

this is the hard hitting advice that future parents need! i'm gonna bookmark this post.

Is there any huge plus (or rule) about going to classes at the hospital where you're delivering? Alamance classes are free so I was thinking about going to one of those with my SIL who is also expecting but didn't know if that was taboo since I won't be delivering there.

These hospitals are used to people coming in with no prenatal/pregnancy care whatsoever, without any helpful support person, and pretty much no idea what to do. When I brought my wife to Women's in Greensboro for the birth of our third, the other father-to-be in the waiting room came in wearing a sleeveless t-shirt that said "Beware of Drunk." The hospital could give two shits whether you went to birthing class at their hospital or on Mars, the nurses are just happy that you have some idea of how to be helpful. The biggest benefit to going to a birthing class: the realization that all of these slobs are going to have to figure out how to do (or in some cases have already figured out if this is a second+ child) all of the things that you are having to figure out. It is a huge confidence boost.

:D

I'm already pretty darned eased off. Once in a while kinda dude. I picked that board name a long time ago plus I wanted a "wake" pun name, haven't waked and baked in a loooong time. But good advice nonetheless. We are so excited!!

My oldest turns 16 in July. Of course, he is all about getting his driver's license and being independent.

For those of you who have been through this, what advice/experiences can you share about the limits and restrictions that you set for the first year or so that your child started driving?

Having been a teenage driver before, and knowing what a relative idiot that I was at that age, I am getting nervous.

If you are in NC, use the limited driving privileges for the first 6 months as a crutch (no driving after 9 and no more than one other kid in the car). Kids will try to argue that no one pays any attention to those rules - and other parents will let their kids flaunt them - but, it is against the law so you have a solid reason to enforce them yourselves. I think they are great rules - lots of kids in the car equals lots more distraction. And the no driving after 9 rule is like a built-in curfew...

What do you guys with little ones do about strollers?

It seems like there are a few different options: frame that fits the baby carrier, some sort of travel system that fits baby carrier but can be used when the kid is older, jogging strollers, etc.

I definitely plan on taking long walks and eventually maybe some runs with the baby so I'd want a stroller that can do that. Are there strollers that can fit a carrier + be jogged with + be used when the kid is out of a carrier?

It seems like just the frame option will then have to be stored somewhere once baby is out of a carrier and then you need something that they can ride in. Any downfall to jogging strollers being used as the full time stroller once the carrier + frame option is out? Are the frame strollers durable enough for long walks when the baby is still in the carrier?

There are too many options!

We had three strollers.

Bugaboo for the bucket clip in and bassinet and most outings.

Double BOB for long walks or runs.

Single MacLaren Volo for more compact travel.

Younger kid ended up hating the stroller so we were out of them after not getting as much use during his toddlerhood..

We had a lot of money in strollers, but we always had the right stroller when we needed it and never owned any other strollers besides these three. No reason to buy a cheap umbrella stroller that's less comfortable, hotter, and more likely to be thrown away.

Can't recommend a BOB stroller enough - they're spendy, but they do it all (and make for good "everyone pitch in" gifts) - and especially if you want to do long walks or jogs, having a front wheel/wheels that can lock out will take a ton of strain off of you. They have car seat adapters, and then just as strollers they carry a kid up to 75 lbs. To cut back on their spendy-ness, you could probably find one on craigslist, or at an REI garage sale - just make sure the car seat adapter fits your car seat (obvi).
We sold a shitload of these at REI and saw very, very few come back.

We have the Graco one that fits the car seat (and then you can put the kid in there without the car seat when thy get bigger. That's good for walks. We have a baby trend jogging stroller that was a hand me down recently and we like a lot with E at this point. We have an umbrella stroller which is good on the go. But honestly, wearing them has been the easiest/most convenient for walks and outings.

We bought a car seat from Britax and a City Jogger stroller (plus Britax adapter) and it worked great. We had probably $500 all in while Biff's collection probably costs more than his last car. The City Jogger folds up pretty small (given that it's a pretty good sized stroller) by just pulling the middle strap. Really convenient.

We bought a car seat from Britax and a City Jogger stroller (plus Britax adapter) and it worked great. We had probably $500 all in while Biff's collection probably costs more than my last car. The City Jogger folds up pretty small (given that it's a pretty good sized stroller) by just pulling the middle strap. Really convenient.

FIFY.

I_15c972_2612263.gif

We had three strollers.

Bugaboo for the bucket clip in and bassinet and most outings.

Double BOB for long walks or runs.

Single MacLaren Volo for more compact travel.

Younger kid ended up hating the stroller so we were out of them after not getting as much use during his toddlerhood..

We had a lot of money in strollers, but we always had the right stroller when we needed it and never owned any other strollers besides these three. No reason to buy a cheap umbrella stroller that's less comfortable, hotter, and more likely to be thrown away.

Yeah we have the Bugaboo with all the adaptations and then the single Maclaren as well which stays in the back of my wife's car. I almost killed her when I found out how much the Bugaboo cost even with coupons, but in hindsight it has been well worth it as it has gone through two kids and still operates like new. There isn't much to it so it stays clean and not much can break, but it is super well made and you can do pretty much anything with it. Regular urban/suburban walks, dirt trails, the beach, staircases, pretty much anything.

Last edited:
Back