• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

if anyone gives me anything like that, I will not hold back in letting them know how ridiculous they are.

on the other hand, my SIL gave me a water bottle that says "fly as a mother" and I love that - especially since I wake up every night at ~2:00am and am thirsty like I've been in the desert for days.

Fly as a mother is great.

This, however, is something I would call CPS about:

m_5ab417da45b30c3e72b1d4a0.jpg

Especially because there's an apostrophe at the end of "wiping"

you're going to have some weird side-bar ads from all of your image searching.

(but yes, those shirts are all atrocious, and even more so on that one because of the grammar error)

our 3 yr old daughter came home yesterday kinda bummed b/c the boys in the class told her girls can't play good guy/bad guy b/c girls don't fight bad guys

WWE women will fight anyone. Becky Lynch "the man" for instance

Transitioned our 2y 10m old to a “big girl” bed about a week ago, and haven’t had any luck getting her down without a fight in under two hours since. She had all the signs of being ready - asking for the bed, no trouble sleeping at all, trying to climb out - but repeatedly gets out of bed. She gets on the verge of falling asleep the first ten minutes down, but then seriously fights it and gets all slap happy and overly tired. She gets out of bed literally every 15 seconds. Have tried seemingly everything and it doesn’t seem to be getting better. Any thoughts?

Parenting seems like it's very weird in the social media age. Good luck.

Today, I asked my soon to be 10 year old if he was ready for dessert. He always has dessert. He never forgets. Today when I asked, he said no. He said, “I think I’ve been eating too much sugar so I need to take a break for awhile.”

I think he's having a personal growth spurt over the last month or so. He applied for safety patrol and went through the process of getting signatures from all his teachers and he was selected. I didn't even know he was interested. It's a pretty big honor to be picked. They're the most responsible kids in school. He's gone from watching dumb YouTube videos of people yelling dumb things to watching videos on insects, animals, history, and mythology. He wants an ant farm for his birthday. My wife left early this morning for a trip. She won't be back until Sunday. He didn't mention her once today. Just went about his business.

I'm kind of blown away by it all.

Transitioned our 2y 10m old to a “big girl” bed about a week ago, and haven’t had any luck getting her down without a fight in under two hours since. She had all the signs of being ready - asking for the bed, no trouble sleeping at all, trying to climb out - but repeatedly gets out of bed. She gets on the verge of falling asleep the first ten minutes down, but then seriously fights it and gets all slap happy and overly tired. She gets out of bed literally every 15 seconds. Have tried seemingly everything and it doesn’t seem to be getting better. Any thoughts?

I put a baby gate across the doorway so my daughter couldn’t leave the room. When she (always) got up she’d eventually fall asleep in her doorway by the gate. Then we’d come by like an hour later and scoop her into bed. That lasted months.

We’re getting ready to start #2 in her bed very soon at 2Y 2mo so I expect that will not work at all because that’s how things go.

Today, I asked my soon to be 10 year old if he was ready for dessert. He always has dessert. He never forgets. Today when I asked, he said no. He said, “I think I’ve been eating too much sugar so I need to take a break for awhile.”

I think he's having a personal growth spurt over the last month or so. He applied for safety patrol and went through the process of getting signatures from all his teachers and he was selected. I didn't even know he was interested. It's a pretty big honor to be picked. They're the most responsible kids in school. He's gone from watching dumb YouTube videos of people yelling dumb things to watching videos on insects, animals, history, and mythology. He wants an ant farm for his birthday. My wife left early this morning for a trip. She won't be back until Sunday. He didn't mention her once today. Just went about his business.

great stuff, man. really awesome watching them grow and gain capabilities and surprise you.

we transitioned around 2.5 and out daughter (now 3) will stay in bed once asleep but will not go to bed unless one of us is laying in bed while she falls asleep (unless she's super tired). we gave up and just go with it right now. between the bed transition and the potty training and changes at daycare we figured she's dealing with enough so fuck it, she'll grow out of it eventually. the past month or so the bed-wetting around 2-3 am is way more of a killer

I put a baby gate across the doorway so my daughter couldn’t leave the room. When she (always) got up she’d eventually fall asleep in her doorway by the gate. Then we’d come by like an hour later and scoop her into bed. That lasted months.

Similarly, for both kids we put a doorknob guard on the inside knob and just closed the door. Within a week or so they figured it out and we could leave the door open for each of them.

Make sure you've installed anti-tip kits on all the furniture; that was priority #1 when we switched from the crib to a bed. We put door knob guards on the interior knob of the room so she couldn't get out and after 3 or 4 nights of going in and putting her back in bed, we just started leaving her in there to figure it out (keeping tabs on her via monitor, of course) and within a few days she was staying in bed at night.

We have door handles so we installed a lock on the outside of the door that makes it impossible to open from the inside. That is only there as a deterrent, she REALLY hates that door locked and closed so if we even mentioned that lock she magically became fine with just the baby gate.

Yes on the anti tipping, forgot to mention that.

Older kid just turned 4 and we still have her in overnight pull-ups which she wets probably 4/7 days a week. It’s time to stop that. I think we’ll just go the route of letting her have accidents which she’ll eventually get tired of (while layering plastic sheet, regular sheet a few times on the mattress for easy midnight cleanups). Maybe with a prize for x consecutive days of staying dry. Thoughts on that?

Older kid just turned 4 and we still have her in overnight pull-ups which she wets probably 4/7 days a week. It’s time to stop that. I think we’ll just go the route of letting her have accidents which she’ll eventually get tired of (while layering plastic sheet, regular sheet a few times on the mattress for easy midnight cleanups). Maybe with a prize for x consecutive days of staying dry. Thoughts on that?

so we ditched pull ups after a few weeks of panties during the day and pull ups at night. she had like 2 weeks of dry pull ups so we went all in and refused to go back. As soon as we switched she was having one or two accidents a night. It was maddening but we pushed through. We started layering the sheet/plastic sheet so we could rip off a layer and put her back in bed.

What we do is put the potty in her room and make her go right before we turn out the lights. If she happens to wake up and yell out for any reason we stick her on the potty in the dark,m ake her pee and then put her down again. That seems to work pretty well. The past 4-5 days she's had no accidents; we were able to put her on the potty or she actually slept all night. So i guess it's working.

The current prevailing literature is to not scold accidents at night nor reward dry mornings, either. Because they have no control if they go when asleep and it takes time to learn to wake up when the bladder is telling you to pee. I was getting frustrated b/c our daughter still isn't great about telling us when she has to pee consistently even though she's more than capable but my wife waived me off. The only reward we do is acknowledging she didn't go and could hold it. Our daughter feels bad enough about wetting without us scolding.

Stepson is in a similar boat. it's amazing how much he's matured over the last year. There are definitely still things that are like, "wow dude... you didn't give that a whole lot of thought, did you?" but for the most part, he's really coming into his own and actually starting to show that he's been listening to us over the last few years. biggest strides have been in personal responsibility/accountability for school work and wanting to do well... pretty awesome.

Put me in the 2.5 year old bedtime routine nightmare camp. Uggggh.

He started climbing out of his crib right around 2 and 2-3 months, so we converted it to a toddler bed, and he was really fine for a while. Sometimes had to go in a few times after initial door closing, but would generally get to sleep eventually. Mostly it was that he wasn't super tired if he napped during the afternoon (he needs WAY less sleep than our older daughter).

About 2.5 weeks ago we did potty training, and it actually went surprisingly really well. Took like 4 days to get the hang of it, but since day 5 he basically hasn't had any daytime accidents. Still doing pull-ups at night, but they are probably dry 5/7 nights.

But recently bedtimes have been insanely difficult. I think it's a combo of not being super tired and also having a big attachment thing going on recently (he's also been very clingy and crying at nannyshare drop off and not wanting us to leave him, etc). But it's exacerbated by the potty training because he knows that having to go potty is a way he can get us to come back in and / or he can leave his room (lots of "poo poo coming out right now!" "my body is telling me I need to go pee pee"). If he was trying his usual tricks of one more rock, need a bandaid, rub my back, etc we would probably ignore. But now he combos those requests up with the bathroom thing and I feel like we can't deny a request for the bathroom (even if he's already been 7 times within the lat 30 min).

Any tips along those lines? I know we could do the stay in the room til he falls asleep thing (totally respect the people that go this route!), but given that often times he doesn't even really seem tired, I do not relish the idea of being held captive in there for 1-2 hours of my limited evening time. I read one suggestion about offering that if he's quiet and stays in bed for 5 min that we'll come back in and give him another kiss and hug - and then keep extending that time. Anyone tried anything like that for an attachment issue at bedtime?

Back