• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

We have two strollers right now, and are looking for our third. I know there are people who get by with fewer, but as has been mentioned above, there are just different needs for different situations.

1) Graco frame stroller - this was fairly inexpensive and is pretty no frills...just got popping the car seat onto it.

graco_snugrider_elite_stroller_frame_1.jpg

As you suggest, once they outgrow the infant car seat this becomes obsolete, but at that point you could re-sell it or hand it down to someone else if you didn't want to store it. We found it really worthwhile to have because it made transfer from home to car to stroller super easy when baby was sleeping or just snug in the car seat. And it's fairly minimal and can fold up for the car and what not.

2) BOB - We did a lot of debating between BOB and CitiMini, and ended up liking the Bob better in test drives and when talking to friends. But I think you can be happy with either. I think the BOB is better for actual jogging though, which is kind of what tipped for us.

51kzHetCUKL.jpg

We use this ALL THE TIME now, and it is awesome for the city, getting around on bumpy sidewalks and what not. Also great on grass and dirt and everything since it has big wheels. The drawback is that even when folded down it is pretty big and sort of heavy, so it's tough to pack in the car with other things or to fly with or something like that.

3) Umbrella stroller - This is the one we're researching now. Have heard good things about Maclearens, but they're so expensive. Have a First Years stroller on our wish list now, but still considering switching.

6a0105362badb1970b014e606e61f4970c-pi

Anyone feel strongly about their umbrella stroller one way or the other? We'll probably still use our jogger most of the time, but want something easy to pack and travel with.

We have a Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat... got the stroller that goes w/ that, and a BOB. They've both worked very well so far... though it has only been a month (so no jogging w/ the BOB, yet... but it is great for walks around the neighborhood).

Like I said... it has only been a month, but the best things we have (imho):
Snugabunny Rock N Play
Snugabunny Swing... works wonders when she is fussy in the evenings
Summer Infant SwaddleMe... so much easier and more effective than most other offerings (we have many)
Cheap-ass Conair noise machine

Maybe it's been stated, but I didn't see it. The BOB is fantastic. However, do not leave it in the car year round, especially in the summer months. The REI people told us they get so many blown tires from the hot hot air.

Thanks for the input, everyone! It seems like every family has a different style that works for them.

Anyone feel strongly about their umbrella stroller one way or the other? We'll probably still use our jogger most of the time, but want something easy to pack and travel with.

My wife picked the McLaren because of how light it is when folded, and that you can open and close it with one hand, so you don't have to put the kid down to get in and out of it (she uses it at the mall and stuff so it is easy to operate in the parking lot). We use it mostly for travel and then when on vacation and Disney and places like that, so it is easy to carry and store and take on a plane. Like you say we don't ever really use it at home because of the Bugaboo, but it is good for what we got it for.

awar, I forgot to mention (and maybe someone else did), that there is an adapter that you can use to fit your car seat into the BOB. We have one but we actually never used it. The Graco snap in stroller was just so much easier (and smaller and lighter) than using the BOB when she was little. Now that she can sit up in the BOB we use it normally. But if you only have room for one stroller, you can use an adapter to make the BOB work for you with a younger infant.

awar, I forgot to mention (and maybe someone else did), that there is an adapter that you can use to fit your car seat into the BOB. We have one but we actually never used it. The Graco snap in stroller was just so much easier (and smaller and lighter) than using the BOB when she was little. Now that she can sit up in the BOB we use it normally. But if you only have room for one stroller, you can use an adapter to make the BOB work for you with a younger infant.

Thanks! I think lbe mentioned it too and that may be a good direction to go. Currently we have room for one stroller and it will probably have to be moved depending on what else in the apartment we need to use.

The BOB is big and sits in our mud room... even when folded up, it is still relatively big. And not particularly light.

Having said that... we still think it is great.

Thanks! I think lbe mentioned it too and that may be a good direction to go. Currently we have room for one stroller and it will probably have to be moved depending on what else in the apartment we need to use.

Maybe you can hold off on having this baby till you move into a bigger place.

I hope you found my rep helpful.

The Chicco Keyfit 30 seems to meet most of the needs described here. It doesn't require any attachments to use the car seat. It's good for walking in cities, parks, etc. It travels well.

I hope you found my rep helpful.

Haha great categorizations. Unfortunately I think the choice I'm leaning towards may disappoint you.

The Chicco Keyfit 30 seems to meet most of the needs described here. It doesn't require any attachments to use the car seat. It's good for walking in cities, parks, etc. It travels well.

Do you think it works for jogging/long walks as well?

Haha great categorizations. Unfortunately I think the choice I'm leaning towards may disappoint you.

I don't know about jogging. Definitely great for long walks. It survived about 2.5 years of regular one child trips to Disney World among other places.

You can do some research yourself, but I think if you plan to job with the stroller, you should go with an actual jogging stroller. I can't recall the specs on the Baby Jogger/Citi Mini, but the BOB is certainly a legit stroller for jogging.

You can do some research yourself, but I think if you plan to job with the stroller, you should go with an actual jogging stroller. I can't recall the specs on the Baby Jogger/Citi Mini, but the BOB is certainly a legit stroller for jogging.

Yeah, nothing other than a jog stroller will work. At some point a non jogging stroller is going to capsize if you're moving fast.

Yeah, nothing other than a jog stroller will work. At some point a non jogging stroller is going to capsize if you're moving fast.

right. if you've got too many moving wheels it's dangerous because one wheel can go rogue and boom. down goes the whole show. you need something you can lock out.

And jog strollers are meant for kids 6-8 months and older, who can sit up straight in the stroller.

I've concluded that having a 2.5 year old and 5 month old is fucking HARD. Need like a full-time housekeeper

Back