• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

The 4 year old is done with your typical “shows” by this point. She will watch hours and hours of Disney Main Street parades if she’s allowed to. My in laws take her to Disney world ever year though, so that probably accounts for it.

My kids were talking about watching some show the other day at their grandparents' house and I asked if it was on Netflix and my daughter was like, no Pawpaw had to push some numbers on the clicker. She had no idea about the concept of channels. It's crazy.

Kids are 9 and 11, though this has been what they watch pretty consistently for the last year:
On netflix, they watch the 'who was show,' 'nailed it,' 'property brothers' (on hulu) and some my little pony surprise thing (though girl claims she hates it and it's for babies, watch history doesn't lie.) Liv and Maddie is another one girl watches. On youtube, they mostly watch Minecraft tutorials or the Bon Appetit Gourmet Makes. Screen time is pretty limited, so if they don't watch a show they'll generally use their time to either play Minecraft or Shell Shockers, or play Nintendo. As a family, we watch American Ninja Warrior, Great British Baking Show and other cooking shows of that ilk, Property Brothers or other 'awesome architecture' shows, bike racing, and Steelers games.
Their younger cousins love Pajama Masks (which I've seen a bit of as well while we hung out with them; it's pretty good for that 2-5 age range) and SuperWings (not as good, but not as obnoxious as some other shows).

They also have no real concept of watching a show on TV that you can't pause, or waiting for an episode to come on at a specific time. The only thing remotely like this is the fact they're not allowed screens before 8:00am on Saturday and have to wait for 8:00 to roll around. How they suffer!

Not sure how we'll manage all of this with baby on the way. Can we just do Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street?

Last edited:
Mine are 4 and 2 and we pretty much just watch Netflix stuff. There’s tons of kid show content on there. All of it is so goddamn stupid to me. But mostly they watch like Disney or Pixar movies on there which are fine. Also we dvr paw patrol for them from Nickelodeon after they went to enough birthday parties with paw patrol stuff to want to watch that. No YouTube videos or other regular tv for now.

Mine are 4 and 2 and we pretty much just watch Netflix stuff. There’s tons of kid show content on there. All of it is so goddamn stupid to me. But mostly they watch like Disney or Pixar movies on there which are fine. Also we dvr paw patrol for them from Nickelodeon after they went to enough birthday parties with paw patrol stuff to want to watch that. No YouTube videos or other regular tv for now.

...other than a huge backlog of recorded Good Eats (which, btw, they're bringing back! Alton Brown just did an 'ask me anything' on Reddit about it).

My kids are weird. My 10 year old watches the usual YouTube videos of random teens and young adults yelling at each other while playing Minecraft. He also watches these fascinating videos on history (Extra History). But on TV he exclusively watches The Pioneer Woman on Food Network. That's it. And there are regularly fights between him and my 7 year old who only watches Disney Junior and the same 4 or 5 shows that are on all the time. He legitimately loves Puppy Dog Pals and gets excited for new episodes. One time, we just put on Duck Tales and they both sat and watched it for a few hours. Good show by the way. The Darkwing Duck episode was excellent.

...other than a huge backlog of recorded Good Eats (which, btw, they're bringing back! Alton Brown just did an 'ask me anything' on Reddit about it).

Well yeah but that’s what I watch. The kids whine when I put that or golf on.

Already set to record the new show starting Sunday I think.

Just got both kids back to college—last year of two undergraduates.

Life goes quickly. Enjoy and make the most of every day/stage as best you can.

I get what they’re saying but adulthood has always differed from one generation to the next based on overall changes in society.

My wife is currently planning our son’s first birthday party and this is much more involved than it should be.

My wife is currently planning our son’s first birthday party and this is much more involved than it should be.

Ha! I remember seeing your family leave the hospital just ahead of us. Hard to believe it has been almost a year.

This was our 3rd kid, though. He’s going to be lucky to get his own smash cake. I’m sure our daughters each had their own special outfits. Not this time.

Parties for 1 year olds are generally for the parents (the mom).

Ha! I remember seeing your family leave the hospital just ahead of us. Hard to believe it has been almost a year.

This was our 3rd kid, though. He’s going to be lucky to get his own smash cake. I’m sure our daughters each had their own special outfits. Not this time.

Parties for 1 year olds are generally for the parents (the mom).

It seems simultaneously both crazy that it’s already been a year and also so much longer than that.

Yeah, just stay out of the way.

Our girls had custom dresses made, in Australia, that were too big when they arrived. We had to get them altered, but then the head hole was too small, so I had to run to a seamstress to get a zipper put on the back. All totally normal stuff. We had koozies made and held it at a bar (I paid for booze... to a point).

Yeah, just stay out of the way.

Our girls had custom dresses made, in Australia, that were too big when they arrived. We had to get them altered, but then the head hole was too small, so I had to run to a seamstress to get a zipper put on the back. All totally normal stuff. We had koozies made and held it at a bar (I paid for booze... to a point).

wut

my wife used to go nuts about party favors for the kids birthdays. I still don't understand it. However, my oldest just turned 13 and I told my wife no more party favor bags- let me handle it. I went to the dollar store and bought some giant hershey bars, bags of skittles, and starbursts and let the kids pick what they wanted when they left. You should have seen their faces. They literally were scoping out the table to plan their strategy for which candy to get at the end of the party. Afterwards, my wife just looked at me and said the 3 most satisfying words ever to come out of her mouth, "You were right."

Dude, 1st birthday parties are for the parents. Have some booze and cake (with the obligatory singing) with some friends over and call it a day.

Back