• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Our now 3 year old just had her first haircut a month or two back because she was playing with scissors instead of napping and cut her own hair. So she went to great clips to clean it up and she did really well. Stone faced and motionless, which is ideal for kid haircuts. Probably scared stiff from all the yelling she went through, but she had also been through some home trims already with mom so the hair cutting wasn’t a new concept.

our daughter around 3 told us she wanted her hair cut more "like the boys" [into a bob style] and was super excited to do the whole salon thing and sat there like a champ

so..maybe let your kid look at some pictures and "pick" a haircut?

Good luck to everyone out there attempting to manage work and school closures/having kids at home.

Good luck to everyone out there attempting to manage work and school closures/having kids at home.

Two weeks back from maternity, right back to feeling like I'm home on maternity again... except with a full day of work to accomplish as well. And big kids home, too.

Yay.

How’s everyone holding up? Can’t believe there hasn’t been a post here in 2.5 months.

I’m looking for children’s books on race. My kids are 2.5 and almost 6. Any recommendations?

so far so good. I'm home with our 5.5 month-old while my wife is back at work.

we finally, finally got his placement paperwork in the mail this weekend (and no call from the agency ahead of time, which is surprising). we had been asking about this for months even before the pandemic. were told when we brought him home typically it takes 3-4 months but since the birth father was at the birth and already waived his rights it should be much quicker. so now just gotta get all that filled out then hopefully they can get a court date to finalize the adoption.

Congrats Barca!

Pretty good here; brought a nanny in during the week to help with the kids and we're all benefiting from it, the kids especially.

Congrats Barca!

Pretty good here; brought a nanny in during the week to help with the kids and we're all benefiting from it, the kids especially.

We split daycare responsibility with one of our neighbors whose son is in the same daycare class. Would have loved to do a nanny but daycare was continuing to charge us full freight despite him not going for 2 months. We have since changed daycares.

We split daycare responsibility with one of our neighbors whose son is in the same daycare class. Would have loved to do a nanny but daycare was continuing to charge us full freight despite him not going for 2 months. We have since changed daycares.

I would say that we are fortunate in that the place my kids attend froze tuition in March while figuring out what they would do. A lot of families at our place withdrawal for summer and the school will hold your fall spot so it was pretty low risk for us to pull the kids out for a nanny and feel good about being able to send them back in the fall when the school year restarts.

I would say that we are fortunate in that the place my kids attend froze tuition in March while figuring out what they would do. A lot of families at our place withdrawal for summer and the school will hold your fall spot so it was pretty low risk for us to pull the kids out for a nanny and feel good about being able to send them back in the fall when the school year restarts.

Yeah. Daycare sent us emails that if we stopped paying he would lose his spot and that their primary concern was the financial health of the daycare. We told them that we were supposed pulling him out and that we did not expect to pay any addition tuition since he had not been in 2 months.

They immediately charged us for the next week’s tuition 2 days early before responding that they were sad to see us go.

Our daycare reopened last week. The structure is much needed after 2 months of chaos and ~4hrs kindle/day while we both attempted to parent and work. In terms of finances we paid full tuition MAR and APR, and MAY we had subsidized tuition due to PPP. I get that Soccer Shots is a struggling small business but charging everyone full price for online soccer drills is super lame and you can’t unregister because all of the other parents register. While the two months were chaotic I really enjoyed watching my two daughters become closer and I loved our morning walks to feed the ducks.

Our daycare reopened last week. The structure is much needed after 2 months of chaos and ~4hrs kindle/day while we both attempted to parent and work. In terms of finances we paid full tuition MAR and APR, and MAY we had subsidized tuition due to PPP. I get that Soccer Shots is a struggling small business but charging everyone full price for online soccer drills is super lame and you can’t unregister because all of the other parents register. While the two months were chaotic I really enjoyed watching my two daughters become closer and I loved our morning walks to feed the ducks.

yeah, our daughter's ballet company fucked us on t he same thing - not even an option to withdraw just zoom classes. she will not do a single minute. infuriating

Little lady is now 9.5 months old and at her first day of daycare. Technically her 3rd day, I guess, but she started March 16th originally, and then the world closed the next day so she only attended 1.5 days the first go-round. She has no recollection. We did change providers, because the original place was upping prices to $1910/mo for the infant-3yr olds. Now we're "only" paying $1550/mo, and I actually like the place a lot better for various reasons (mostly just the warmth I get from the director and instructors).

I never, ever imagined I would have the opportunity to be home with my baby for the first 9.5 months of her life. I feel really fortunate for that, but holy hell the last five months have been SO HARD. Working full time in a demanding, analytical role AND caring for an increasingly-mobile baby... is damn near impossible. As much as I miss her right now, today has been so easy. Only having to work and not half looking over my shoulder to keep her entertained/keep her from beelining for cords/the fireplace is almost alarmingly easy. Plus, lunchtime? I just got to feed myself when I was hungry without that coming in 2nd behind prepping/feeding/cleaning baby. Incredible.

Yeah. We switched providers and paid two months without him ever attending. His last day in daycare was 3/16.

We finally just pulled him because I can’t justify the cost with no end in sight.

We are interviewing a potential nanny share. We currently split daycare duties with our neighbors and it’s pretty tough. Two almost two year olds that try and kill each other and themselves multiple times a day.

Back